Knock Off Acts

Direct Impact

In another thread someone mentioned Steve Austin asking what a Dolph Ziggler is? I've always thought that Dolph was a knock off Billy Gunn act (although better and more athletic). With Dolph always trying to change things I've thought recently he's starting to knock off some of Shawn Michaels act.

Chris Benoit knocked off a lot of Dynamite Kids act and we've had Mick Foley accuse Bubba Ray of being a Cactus Jack knock off. Abyss could be described as a Mankind/Kane combined knock off.

So who else do you think is a knock off act?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bit of an oversimplification if he did. Flair's character wasn't taken from any one source, not to mention that the original Nature Boy gimmick Buddy Rogers did was a variation on Gorgeous George anyway.

Most obvious one is Ryback, I think. I was chuckling away at Bill Diarrhea's suggestion for his new catchphrase now that he's gone full Goldberg in his look: "WHO IS AT THE FRONT OF THE QUEUE?!"

Led me to start thinking of other possible manglings of famous wrestler catchphrases for knock-off acts, like:

"And that's the last word on the matter, because Ice-Cool has stated thus!"

• Paid Members

When Jeff Jarrett made his WWF Debut it was a Honky Tonk Man rip off.  Years later Honky claimed that Vince done it to piss him off when he refused to resign with the company back in '93.

Jarrett also ripped off Flair's strut. Or did Flair rip it off too?

The 3 that come to mind first are Buddy Landell ripping off Flair, The Berserker ripping off Brody, and Grado ripping off Bastion Booger & Eugene.

Archived