Knock Off Acts

Direct Impact

Led me to start thinking of other possible manglings of famous wrestler catchphrases for knock-off acts, like:

"And that's the last word on the matter, because Ice-Cool has stated thus!"

This would of course be followed by an ill-advised heel turn, nevertheless giving birth to the one word catchphrase still heard in arenas today: "Pardon?"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jesse Ventura was Superstar Graham with a much doughier physique. I think you could get away with being an overt rip off back in the territory days. What with local TV deals, multiple promotions and bog all news outside of the Apter mags.

• Paid Members

Jesse Ventura was Superstar Graham with a much doughier physique. I think you could get away with being an overt rip off back in the territory days. What with local TV deals, multiple promotions and bog all news outside of the Apter mags.

A lot of people took their lead from Graham. It could certainly be argued that Hulk Hogan was a knock-off of Superstar - or, perhaps more accurately, the updated model.

Ric Flair was inspired by the original 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers even down to using the Figure Four but you can also see similarities in Jackie Fargo as well but growing up I know Ric was a big fan of Rogers and battled on maybe 2 but definitely 1 occasion in 1979.

Ric Flair was inspired by the original 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers even down to using the Figure Four but you can also see similarities in Jackie Fargo as well but growing up I know Ric was a big fan of Rogers and battled on maybe 2 but definitely 1 occasion in 1979.

Didn't Flair say that he wanted to be billed as Ricky Rhodes, Dusty's younger cousin?  

Archived