Jump The Shark Moments

Liam O'Rourke

ECW Living Dangerously 98's main event for me. There was always going to be a bit of a comedown after Barely Legal because ECW getting on PPV was the promotional equivalent of a wrestler winning a first world title and no longer having the climb/chase to the top. Hardcore Heaven 97 had the shit production and November 2 Remember the infamous Sabu-Sandman debacle, but there was still potential.

Then you have this PPV with a main event of Chris Candido & Shane Douglas vs Lance Storm & Al Snow, which on paper should/could have been a 30 minute highflying/technical wrestling/workrate classic that put the other promotions to shame. Instead it went about four minutes in a ring full of styrofoam heads, with one corner blocked off with police tape because Bigelow and Taz had left a massive hole and half the match was shot with spinning cameras. In hindsight it was the first real sign of the combined effects of the roster being crippled and Heyman losing his creative touch.

Not defending it by any means but were they not going for a "we're more extreme than the other 2, we have wrestlers going through the ring and we still carry on and our fans near enough have a riot before the match even begins" angle? To get over the nature of the company to new viewers perhaps? Though I suppose I'm probably wrong as doing all that in the main event of a show only your hardcore fans will buy anyway does sort of negate the new viewer bit

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched WWF from 1996 - 2001 and stopped after the invasion because I was 13 and didn't give a shit about new WCW wrestlers getting involved. Then started watching again in 2007 both Raw and Smackdown every week without missing a show but about 2 months ago I stopped watching Smackdown ENTIRELY after 7 years because I am sick to death of constant Roman Reigns vs Bray Wyatt matches, or Roman Reigns & Dean Amborse vs Luke Harper and Babyface Undertaker Brown Strowman. Or MizTV. Or 2 divas tag matches. Or New Day vs Dudley Boyz again.

The constant repetition is what drove me away from Smackdown, and I even know it's been shit for like 4 years but I still humoured myself each week. And this is AFTER the days of Teddy Long coming out every week when there was an argument in the ring between 4 guys and him saying "well listen up playas, since the 4 of you cant seem to get along, im gonna make sure you put that to use and put the 4 of you in a tag team match tonight"...... this is when time literally stood still.

The Benoit stuff was what lead me to a 5 year break from all wrestling, but I had already started to get disengaged after the awful use of Eddie's death and the Rey run. The fact they managed to insult the intelligence of a 13/14 year old several times over speaks for itself. *looks up at the sky* Oh, Eddie.... *shakes fist slightly* *bare minimum acting*

I'd have loved a Rey run on his own merits but this just convinced me it was all a bag o shite

TIL what jumping the shark means. I still remember my primary school teacher telling the class it was when something was given away too soon. You can ignore my earlier post then.

I'm under the impression that it is the moment that you realise that something has out-lived its welcome. Relating to Fonzy literally "jumping the shark" on Happy Days.

Wouldn't Summer of Punk in 2011 count? Potentially months of build with Punk stealing the belt and wandering round the Indies with it and Cena being the interim champ, then rushed back for the main event of Summerslam due to the a low Raw rating. (I think.)

• Paid Members

It's a scene or storyline that is designed to grab attention from the dwindling numbers that completely falls on it's arse and has the adverse affect of the majority realising the TV show has seen better days.

Rosie O'Donnell one-on-one with Donald Trump on Raw a good few years ago. Or so we were told.

one of the very few times a TNA chant reached WWE TV

• Paid Members

Kurt Angle. Olympic Sexual Predator. Ughhhh. So Booker T and Kurt Angle are going to feud. Fine with me. No wait, we need more. Let's have Angle stir the pot by calling Sharmell a quote 'gutter slut'. Aye, go on, anything else. Well what if we had Kurt actually love sex. Like really nasty sex, and he wants Bestiality sex with Booker's wife. Bestiality? Why of course, that'll turn some heads. In fact we could have Kurt face Booker at the PPV, and promise to rape his opponents wife if he wins. Hang on, is this the same Kurt Angle who has just defeated Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania?... Your point being?

Kane was a monster. Burned in a fire as a child, he spent utmost of 20 years theoretically from the mid 70's as a child, recovering from burns and spending many years in an institution. Recovering from the horrific incident as a child when his brother was playing with matches, sadly leading to a fire at the parents owned funeral home. Killing both parents and maiming Kane beyond recognition. He was looked after by his biological father Paul and after years of recovery, Kane eventually emerged into human contact in 1997, and things have never been the same... Sorry no wait, fuck that, turns out he was out and about in 1992. He was at college frat parties actually (in his mask I assume), pissed as a fart causing road traffic accidents (in his mask I presume) and killing his close mate Katie... Then shagging his close mate Katie. Fucking do one 2002. Do one right up the tradesman, the fucking state of you. They didn't just have the Kane character (which had a interesting story) jump the shark, he jumped it, landed on it, then fucked it. That's bestiality sex Kurt.

The Aces & Eights in TNA. Lost steam once the reveals began. (Though Taz's one was brilliant. Though he didn't need to bang on about it every chance he got on commentary) What did it for me was Tito Ortiz who made the crowd go mild with the #August1Warning. And joined them to go against Rampage Jackson in the MEM in a cross promotional attempt for their Bellator dream fight that ultimately got scrapped due to Ortiz injuring his neck. Making it all a waste of time.

• Paid Members

TIL what jumping the shark means. I still remember my primary school teacher telling the class it was when something was given away too soon. You can ignore my earlier post then.

I'm under the impression that it is the moment that you realise that something has out-lived its welcome. Relating to Fonzy literally "jumping the shark" on Happy Days.

Which was completely justifiable because it led to this little gem:

tumblr_net9eonE301s9qosfo1_400.gif

but also made this guy wealthy:

jon-hein.jpg?d=600

Two minds, to be honest.

WWF attempting to turn heel possibly the number 1 babyface in the world, Steve Austin, at the biggest match in company history up until that point, in his own home state.

The turn was nonsensical on many levels but the reason I think WWF jumped the shark at that point is because it lacked credibility and was such an illogical turn that it ruined people's suspension of their disbelief. It was scarcely believable that Austin would compromise his values and side with Vince McMahon but furthermore, showed how limited the creative was for Austin once he became a heel.

With The Rock away post-Mania, all we had was Austin, HHH, Undertaker and Kane. Granted, Benoit and Jericho getting involved was a breath of fresh air but they had been booked like comedy mid-carders (Benoit becoming a medal thief in a feud with Kurt Angle, Jericho pissing in William Regal's tea). A lot of people tuned out at this point when faced with Taker and Kane main eventing and whilst some returned for the Invasion, they fucked that up within a year.

• Paid Members

Aces & 8 is one of two things that come to mind. Before Aces & 8s went on for too long, I didn't mind TNA. When Hogan and Bischoff turned up they probably had more star names on their roster than WWE, coupled with the likes of Austin Aries, AJ Styles, James Storm and Bobby Roode looking like the best wrestler in the country - it was a fun, if very daft, show. Even the first couple of months of Aces & 8 were some of TNA's strongest work. An angle that always comes to mind was when all those masked bad ass bikers swarmed the Impact Zone and caved everybodies faces in. We also got Sting and pre-racist Hogan doing their best Riggs and Murtaugh. Daft, but fun.

The moment it all went wrong was when their first big anticipated reveal turned out to be bloody Devon and all the lads sold it like Jerry Lawler when Sable got her handprint-covered boobs out. Bloody Devon and they pretended it was worth a wank! Instantly TNA made their new-ish hard biker group look like low rent jabronis. Of course, as time went on the reveals seemed more lame as the likes of Mike Knox and Nicole Bass' slow brother were revealed as the threat. It was about this time I gave up. The Aces & Eights were all midcarders at best and they were all over the show for months. It could still be going on now for all I know.

The other one is when Goldberg lost that Elimination Chamber match, after finally being booked to look like the Goldberg the fans are willing to pay to see. Quite literally didn't bother with wrestling for a solid 5 years after it, as I sort of realised it wasn't for me anymore. WWE Goldberg was such a waste of time.

WWF attempting to turn heel possibly the number 1 babyface in the world, Steve Austin, at the biggest match in company history up until that point, in his own home state.

The turn was nonsensical on many levels but the reason I think WWF jumped the shark at that point is because it lacked credibility and was such an illogical turn that it ruined people's suspension of their disbelief. It was scarcely believable that Austin would compromise his values and side with Vince McMahon but furthermore, showed how limited the creative was for Austin once he became a heel.

With The Rock away post-Mania, all we had was Austin, HHH, Undertaker and Kane. Granted, Benoit and Jericho getting involved was a breath of fresh air but they had been booked like comedy mid-carders (Benoit becoming a medal thief in a feud with Kurt Angle, Jericho pissing in William Regal's tea). A lot of people tuned out at this point when faced with Taker and Kane main eventing and whilst some returned for the Invasion, they fucked that up within a year.

Stale babyface turns heel as he's willing to do absolutely anything to become champion? I'd say it's one of the most logical heel turns ever, only problem with the execution was they did it in Texas

Archived