1 company, 1 year, 5 incredible matches

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

All subjective and both the women's match from SummerSlam and the little Kid/Owen match from KOTR are really good but for either of them to make the list ahead of the two Bret/Owen classics from WM and SummerSlam is odd to me.

The finish is naff but Bret/Diesel from KOTR would be ahead of them too. Also the Bret & Owen vs. Steiners match from January would definitely make my five.

It's harder than you'd think for 94 actually.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumble

Bret vs piper

Flair vs macho man

Bret vs bulldog

Bret vs shawn

Rumble built flair, macho man then put on a show as the baby face in pearl and took the title

On undercard piper and Bret put on a great match, with Bret pulling out the stops and winning against a real top star clean

Bret kept momentum, and left summerslam as bigger star despite loss, and went on to beat Flair in strangely untelevised match.

Meanwhile shawn michaels took ic title and took on Bret in first high profile match for title, and that was a rivalry that 5 years later went too far

Such a big year in changing of the guard in 92. Without 92 you don't have 97 covered perfectly in first post.

• Paid Members

All subjective and both the women's match from SummerSlam and the little Kid/Owen match from KOTR are really good but for either of them to make the list ahead of the two Bret/Owen classics from WM and SummerSlam is odd to me.

The finish is naff but Bret/Diesel from KOTR would be ahead of them too. Also the Bret & Owen vs. Steiners match from January would definitely make my five.

It's harder than you'd think for 94 actually.

Yeah the perception for me is that 94 was a shite year but when you actually go through the better matches there is a much larger pile of belters than expected

• Paid Members

I'm also going to take 1992. It was a great year for my little pink hero, and has my favourite match ever in it, even if my little pink hero wasn't in it.

(Warning : some of these entries will not be fair to Flair)

(1) THE ROYAL RUMBLE (Royal Rumble, obvs)

I'm not going to go over it again, because I've already done that before and far better than I'll manage here and now. I often omit this in my lists of favourite matches ever because I consider it cheating, in a way, because it has 30 blokes and every main event drawing card in the company in it. But it's compelling as anything I've ever seen, and it lasts an hour. There are very few matches that last an hour or longer that I'm prepared to sit down and re-watch these days but this is one, and it counts as a wrestling match, even if it's a bit of a cheat. So fuck it, it's my favourite match, and to pretend otherwise would definitely not be fair to Flair.

(2) Rowdy Roddy Piper VS Bret Hart, Intercontinental Title (WrestleMania VIII)

This match was heated to fuck and told a great story. As much as I love to think of this match as Bret's big moment, getting put over clean as you like by a star on Piper's level (of which there were very few around) the match itself is all about Roddy's story - his desperation to cling onto the belt he fought for so long to get for the first time, his conflict between wanting to do ANYTHING to keep it and not wanting to sink to the level of COMPLETE bastard (aided no end by more fabulous Heenan commentary) - it's all superb. And there's blood. And then my little pink hero wins.

(3) Ric Flair VS Randy Savage, WWF Title (WrestleMania VIII)

Supported by a dramatic (and almost edgy, for the time) storyline about the then-Mrs Macho's alleged historic sexploits with "the 60 Minute Man", I thought this match was fucking dynamite, marrying as it did "dramatic story" with "good wrestling match." People seem to think Flair's WWF run under-delivered, but we at least got the Rumble and we got THIS. I love this match, I love Heenan & Monsoon commentating, I love Mr Perfect's interfering like a proper bastard, and I love the shenanigans at the end. Even if the finish is not fair to Flair.

(4) Bret Hart VS Davey Boy Smith, Intercontinental Title (SummerSlam)

This match has been talked about to death, so I won't say much. Fuck the recent trend for turning around and going "Oh, it wasn't that good." You're wrong. I mean, an opinion can't really be wrong.... but you're wrong. It's not just the emotions and drama, its just a fucking good match for twists and turns. Bret's German suplex still shocks me as does kicking out of the powerslam, and the finish is sublime.

(5) Bret Hart VS Shawn Michaels, WWF Title (Survivor Series)

I feel like I've banged on about this one a lot. The storytelling in this is amazing. Bret's a knackered champion having defended the belt at a moronic pace, it's said, and there's a load of desperation in here as he keeps making uncharacteristic mistakes and not once goes for the Sharpshooter almost as though he has to keep that up his sleeve in case he needs it (and boy, he needs it). Shawn is excellent, just radiating confidence as he gets closer and closer to winning, if only the stubborn Hitman would stay down. This was the match that convinced me that you needed to hit Bret with your car to beat him, and even then the fucker might still get up. What a guy. Of course, this was the first PPV since Hart took the title in Saskatoon in a match which was definitely not fair to Flair.

Yeah, WWF, 1992. Belting.

• Paid Members

Two really decent lists for 1992 WWF. Not sure I'd call it a belting year though because I can't think of anything else that could have made it. I know some might suggest Warrior/Savage from SummerSlam but I think that's tedious. The WM8 opener is solid but nowt special. Yeah, I'm struggling.

Not sure if not loving Bret/Bulldog is a "recent trend" but I've been saying for at least the last ten years that it isn't that good. The IYH 5 rematch had much better action and more drama. It plodded less too. The finish and the pop enhance the '92 match though. People are into it in an unbelievable way.

Fraserbee posted a great list of WCW matches for '92 (though I can't remember the Zenk/Pillman match at all). Overall though I think I'd go with the WWF. I know it's part nostalgia (slash bias) but they always made every match feel bigger and more important. Even when it was great, WCW rarely managed to make anything stand out as truly special. That Wargames match is one of the few exceptions.

• Paid Members
Not sure if not loving Bret/Bulldog is a "recent trend" but I've been saying for at least the last ten years that it isn't that good.

I saw a thread the other day where four or five people waded in, and it seemed to come a bit out of nowhere to me that a match almost universally lauded as a great match was suddenly "nah, it isn't that good, its just the crowd." I really sat up and thought "Well, this is bollocks bandwaggoning."

The In Your House match is a really great match though. The powerslam on the floor which sends Bret's blood flying is a stunning visual. When I think about it, I'm sure I've dug that match out and watched it more often than SummerSlam 92. At least subconsciously, that must mean I think it's the better match too.

I'm going for the easy one on this one.... 2001

In NO order

Royal Rumble - Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit in a Ladder match for the Intercontinental championship

Royal Rumble match

Wrestlemania - Edge & Christian v Dudley Boyz v Hardy Boyz in a TCL match for Tag-Team championship

Wrestlemania - Austin v The Rock for the WWF championship

Invasion - Team WCW v Team WWF

I'm going for the easy one on this one.... 2001

In NO order

Royal Rumble - Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit in a Ladder match for the Intercontinental championship

Royal Rumble match

Wrestlemania - Edge & Christian v Dudley Boyz v Hardy Boyz in a TCL match for Tag-Team championship

Wrestlemania - Austin v The Rock for the WWF championship

Invasion - Team WCW v Team WWF

I was going to take WWF 2001 also I will make a full breakdown after work

In year order not best at first

No Way Out - Triple H vs Austin - 3 Stages of Hell

Wrestlemania 17 - Rock vs Austin

Invasion - Jeff Hardy vs Rob Van Dam

King of The Ring - Shane McMahon vs Kurt Angle (Street Fight)

Survivor Series - Team WWF vs Team Alliance 

No Way Out - Triple H vs Austin - 3 Stages of Hell

Wrestlemania 17 - Rock vs Austin

Invasion - Jeff Hardy vs Rob Van Dam

King of The Ring - Shane McMahon vs Kurt Angle (Street Fight)

Survivor Series - Team WWF vs Team Alliance 

I hated the KotR streetfight at the time - I think it was Shane landing on his head that turned me off. Never rewatched it.

On the other side, the three stages of hell from NWO is still one of my favourite matches.

• Paid Members

WWF 1991

Rockers/Orient Express - Rumble 1991: Still to this day a cracking tag team match. Just brilliant stuff all round.

Savage/Warrior - Mania 7: Warriors greatest match and some of the most emotional post-match storytelling ever.

the final three are Summerslam 1991 entries. Bret/Perfect obviously, then two more out the box choices. First Boss Man/Mountie. Great fun little match, I love the visual effect of both characters, the cartooney storyline and the finish is great. Rougeau going to the Slammer is such fun. HERE'S THE FINGER!!!

Gonna throw in DiBiase/Virgil too. Fuck Virgils reputation these days. That match is heated as fuck and you want to see him beat the overbearing prick. Great DQ tease in the middle, Piper going barmy getting the viewers so into Virgil winning and then DiBiase falling on the sword when his cheating backfires and the man he treated like shit for years pins him clean. Brilliant storytelling, that match has always been fun for me.

• Paid Members

I was 18 when that streetfight happened and at the time I thought it was brilliant, chaotic fun. Now with my sensible jaded eyes I think "That's a lot of unnecessary risk and actually hurting each other. It's meant to be a work, lads."

edit - Angle/Shane

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Three stages of hell since it aired but I remember hating it.

WWF 1991 is an interesting one. Both Dibiase/Virgil matches have good heat and I loved Piper's cheerleading at the time but I don't think they're that good. Certainly not by the standards of Rockers/Orient Express, Savage/Warrior and Bret/Perfect which are all absolutely brilliant. In fairness to chilli though, I can't think of anything else from 1991 that get anywhere near those three matches. Maybe the WM7 opener - that's decent.

I remember seeing on a list somewhere that Meltzer rated a Kato vs. Michaels house show match at 4****. Seems unlikely!

Whilst probably not as good as 92 or 97, I'm going for 2014.

Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan (Royal Rumble)

The Shield vs The Wyatt Family (Elimination Chamber)

HHH vs Daniel Bryan (Wrestlemania 30)

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar (Summerslam)

Team Cena vs Team Authority (Survivor Series)

Good array of different matches there, I love all of them.

• Paid Members
I remember seeing on a list somewhere that Meltzer rated a Kato vs. Michaels house show match at 4****. Seems unlikely!

I completely buy that. Orients v2.0/Bad Company could both put a shift in. There's a Jannetty/Tanaka match from MSG on one of the SuperTapes that's really good.

I was 18 when that streetfight happened and at the time I thought it was brilliant, chaotic fun. Now with my sensible jaded eyes I think "That's a lot of unnecessary risk and actually hurting each other. It's meant to be a work, lads."

edit - Angle/Shane

To Be Honest I am basing it on what I thought at the time I was in my teens and what I can remember of it I enjoyed these car crash matches during that era but not seen the match in many years Didn't Angle Wrestle 3 or 4 times on that show even after the street fight

Archived