Got a kitten, have some issues. (Dog Pix welcome, Cat pix not allowed)

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Bought a lovely, white ragdoll kitten (which we've named Titan.) Have noticed some either fleas or ticks (maybe just one, actually) and am wondering, since I'm taking it to the vet tomorrow for a full medical, is that something the vet can treat at the same time?

Also, we have silica gel cat litter and the kitten just tried to eat it, should I be worried by this?

We took our kitten(She was around six months old at the time) to the vets last year to have her neutered and the vet noticed she had some fleas. Before they did the  op they deflead her for us so i'm sure they'll do the same for you. I guess it's a case of not wanting to contaminate the work surfaces or whatever. We had a cat  some years ago who used to eat litter for the first few weeks we had him. He grew out of it eventually I guess it's a curiosity thing.

• Paid Members

You'll probably start with cat inoculations when you go to the vet (cat flu, feline HIV, etc.) and usually they do a flea and worming treatment at the same time. I wouldn't worry too much about eating the litter either. I doubt it's toxic and it'll probably learn its lesson when it throws it up all over the carpet for you ;)

Oh, and the different with fleas and ticks - fleas will move very fast but ticks usually latch on and you might have to take it to the vet for removal if you don't know what you're doing.

Yes, that was going to be my advice too. Get a dog. Put the cat in a burlap sack and throw it in a river or something.

:laugh:  :laugh:

One of the neighbours has just got a cat and it keeps shitting in the front garden. Doesn't matter what I put down, nothing's deterring it. If I catch it then I'm having an ECW match with it. 

• Paid Members

Don't get Spot On (or similar) as a lot of flea treatments cannot be used on kittens under 6 months old. The inoculation and treatments will probably set you back about £80. The boosters are yearly but the flea treatment will be as and when. My cats are always outside (one LOVES squirrels which are all crawling with fleas) do have to get treated regularly.

Good point Monkee, though once it's old enough Spot On is ace.

Ironic that dog owners are complaining about cats' pooing habits. Dogs shit everywhere and you have to pick it fucking up!

• Paid Members

Yep, I use Spot On for my two monsters. My dad was looking after them when I was in Kili though and got some flea treatment from the vet. I forget what it was but all the instructions were in Polish. One cat didn't like it though and ended up with a big bald patch where it'd been put on him. I usually go with a regular name like Spot On or Bob Martins and then use a flea collar as well just to back it up.

And yeah, don't understand the shit complaints. My road has turned into a fucking hopscotch course recently with dog shit. No excuse for it.

Archived