All Star Wrestling at Butlins

meexcellent

I remember "Look ref! He's cheating behind your back!"; which you can gloss over when it's from the crowd, but when it's over the microphone it makes the referee look a total numbskull. Crowds are great though agreed. And some top, top workers on the camps. The aforementioned Avalanche is fantastic. Makes every move seem earth-shattering.

I doubt Dixon has ever been tempted to rock the boat, and would question the sense of any successor/equivalent that questions the holiday camp ents manager on how they present the show.

What a stomping ground though; shits over years of training in a gym with only your other trainees and trainer as an audience, or working the odd show in front of a small audience sitting on their hands.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't really call it commentary, it's more like "is he cheating, boys and girls?"

Takes me back to the old Orig Williams shows. 

"did you see that, referee?!"

My favourite was when I went to one of his WWF 'tribute shows' back in 1999 or so, and they had a fake "Mankind" wrestling "The Rock" (Boston Blackie)

Orig was trying to get the kids to chant 'Mankind, Mankind, Mankind' but was drowned out by the more famous 'Foley, Foley, Foley'

I went to some of those shows, at the Skeggy Butlins — it's true, the redcoat completely knackered things for 10 year old smarky me, with his "he just slammed him with a slam, boys and girls!". Totally ran all over Mr. Fuji vs. Bertie Bassett. Yes, Bertie Bassett.

Seashore in Great Yarmouth.

Not sure if you will see All Star main guys at Haven.  Haven is owned by the same company that owns Butlins but doesn't seem to invest into entertainment although great places to visit and chill with the family.  Guessed it would be WAW guys, which Knightmare has confirmed which should be good. Just hope the redcoat wannabes at Haven don't muck the commentary up there!

• Paid Members

Is my memory playing tricks with me, or do I remember rather fun live commentary during the first WWA tour?

You are correct. Konnan and Jeremy Borash did the honours, including K-Dogg making a load of Michael Jackson paedophile jokes about Juventud Guerrera.

Seem to remember it was Konnan and Juvi doing the commentary on the next tour.

• Paid Members

I've seen some of those redcoat-types completely murder shows in the past, shitting on the whole thing throughout. Don't get why they're needed.

I can only assume it's because the majority of kids are used to hearing running commentary when watching on TV. It's an attempt to keep them interested. It's a shame it fails miserably and sounds dreadful. Fucking redcoats, get a proper job.

Archived