Santino announces retirement

King Pitcos

How was he as a worker before he went down the comedy route?

Terrible, that's why he was given the comedy role. They tried for a few months to have him be a normal wrestler and he was atrocious. Even in late 2008, they still had Regal working with him on house shows to try and get his wrestling improving. By about 2010 though, he'd really perfected his style of wrestling.

• Paid Members

I like Adam Sandler movies, but I never got Santino. Always felt he tried too hard to be funny, and never got a smile from me.

It would have been fun to see Boris Alexiev in WWE at some point.

We have seen Boris Alexiev in WWE at loads of points, using various names and bodies. Most of them better suited to the role than a little funny fella who didn't have a clue what he was doing at the time.

The Honk-A-Meter.... they really could have gone all the way with that and on week 62 they couldhave had either Honky show up and win the title or cost Santino the title.

Just another one of those things that just sort of disappeared and he randomly dropped the belt.

• Paid Members
The Honk-A-Meter.... they really could have gone all the way with that and on week 62 they couldhave had either Honky show up and win the title or cost Santino the title.

Just another one of those things that just sort of disappeared and he randomly dropped the belt.

Much as I would've liked his Honk-A-Meter run to get up to something comparable, even right at the time I never believed for a minute that would happen, not even close. WWE in the modern era wouldn't have stuck with it - when they were making a huge deal of JBL holding the WWE championship for nearly a year a bit previously, it's unlikely an expendable comedy character like Santino would've held on to his belt, surrounded by upcoming competition in kayfabe, for a similar length of time. The nature of WWE's booking means it was very likely that someone would've popped up that they'd want to give a minor push and run with the IC, and they wouldn't have protected a comedy gimmick to that degree.

It would've been cool to have him go on a Honky run, although, being a comedy character, he wouldn't have needed HTM to cost him the belt - they could have just repeated what they did with Warrior, or turned him face and have him destroyed by a monster heel. But as I say, it was very unlikely to happen.

• Paid Members

To be fair it evolved into the Honk-a-perfect-mountie-metere and the internet spaffed its metaphorical load over it, then Honky Tonk beat him up at Cyber Sunday and then slipped on Goldusts wig.

Unless I have it worng.

But Honky did once slip on Goldusts wig, don't tell me I dreamt that.

Archived