Hallowed be thy name

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Dead on its arse?.... Quite possibly.

I was watching some wrestling earlier believe it or not and I was thinking about the reasoning behind certain characters named. You have the obvious ones that link to real names or characters such as the patriot or ultimate warrior. Not much to look in to.

It's more the ones that have a bit of a curiosity element that I'm looking at. The ones that make you question.. Why that?

If there's some insider, shoot, behind the scenes shot I've missed, video or audio links a every welcome.

A name I've questioned over the years is Big Van Vader. I mean 'Big'... Yeah, he's a big lad. 'Vader' could be a play on the evil Star Wars super dude or a shortened teen for Invader. But where the fuck does 'Van' come from? Is he part Dutch or transit?

I have no idea if this is something that has been addressed or not. If it has, tell me.

Share your queries, and also if you can state any names with established reasons behind them, please share.

Reality is, I can't see this going far.

Not STRICTLY on topic, since I can guess the reason behind it, but this post made me think of Tom "The Z Man" Zen from early 90s WCW.

The Z correlated not only to his surname initial, but the fact his finisher was the sleeper, hence "Zzzzz"

Obviously, a Sleeper was sold as a bigger deal back then. But looking at it now, it amuses me that they built a guys nickname around what we term "rest hold territory". At least Dibiase had the finisher tie into his name, rather than his name tie into the finisher.

Orton just wants to be glad that's not a thing nowadays... not many chinlock puns to be had...

• Paid Members
According to wiki:

White was given the ring name Big Van Vader and began to wear a black wrestling mask. His new identity was based on a strong warrior of the same name from Japanese folklore

Ultimate Warrior was the first choice for that role. After that, it was Sid's, then he turned it down. Big Leon was far from being the first choice.

Edge always seemed strange to me when he started. Didn't get the name and it seemed a bit odd at the time. Was this just randomly given to him or was there a reason behind it?

Edge always seemed strange to me when he started. Didn't get the name and it seemed a bit odd at the time. Was this just randomly given to him or was there a reason behind it?

Considering they debuted as part of the positively vampiric Brood, the name Christian to me was always mildly ironic...

Edges name was his own suggestion, as he didn't like the names given for him

Reason he regrets it is that a two syllable name who'd be better for fans to chant

• Paid Members
I always thought Kamala was named after the girl raised by wolves of that name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_and_amala

Not sure if that's right though.

The story I've heard most is that it's taken from a guy Jarrett read about in National Geographic (back when he was originally Kimala.) There's another story that it's just a play on the Ugandan capital Kampala, though that doesn't work as well with Kimala.

Archived