I've lost my sound (on my computer)

alex1

Does anyone know how i can retrieve my sound on my laptop? It's disappeared. Normally it would have the sound control in the bottom right hand corner of the screen on the desktop-now no longer there.

Any suggestions would be great.

• Paid Members

On a slightly similar note, today I haven't been getting any audio on YouTube, DailyMotion etc. Audio is working fine on everything else on my laptop though. I'm pretty sure my flash player is up to date. Any ideas? It's probably something really obvious.

Does anyone know how i can retrieve my sound on my laptop? It's disappeared. Normally it would have the sound control in the bottom right hand corner of the screen on the desktop-now no longer there.

Any suggestions would be great.

Bring up task manager, end process on "explorer.exe" -- when the process restarts, the sound icon will be there. Unless your sound card is knackered.

On a slightly similar note, today I haven't been getting any audio on YouTube, DailyMotion etc. Audio is working fine on everything else on my laptop though. I'm pretty sure my flash player is up to date. Any ideas? It's probably something really obvious.

Open up volume control and check that the "wave sounds" (or whatever it's called in XP) or the "system sounds" in 7 isn't set to mute. In my experience, it's usually caused by reducing the volume in something else that has a knock-on effect.

Yeah I used to get this all time when Windows does updates

Sometimes it was just a matter of turning off and on again and it was back on occasions it has required a full system restore, hasn't happened in a while actually though thankfully

Sometimes it was just a matter of turning off and on again and it was back on occasions it has required a full system restore, hasn't happened in a while actually though thankfully

Without sounding like a complete numpty (though i am) how do you go about doing a full system restore? The sound hasnt worked for ages and i couldnt be bothered to (attempt) fix it, until now.

Without sounding like a complete numpty (though i am) how do you go about doing a full system restore? The sound hasnt worked for ages and i couldnt be bothered to (attempt) fix it, until now.

Start>All Programs>Acsessories>System Tools>System Restore

You can then choose a date for when you wish to restore the system to.

Archived