UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matchmaking includes deciding where on a card a fight takes place. The fight itself works, the placement not so much. But it's not a huge deal, not worth having a massive whinge. It's the first UFC card in Maine, it's a much smaller market. The UFC name, and having well known fighters like Bader and Pearson works.

I don't really want to open up this can of worms again though, at this point it is what it is.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is no different to the Irish show. Just because people on here were bumming that card doesn't change the fact it had no contenders on it. This card is perfectly fine for Fight Pass.

• Paid Members

Like it or not this oversaturation stuff will keep coming up. To deny it's an issue at all would be ridiculous. Especially when they've just had to cancel a PPV because they never had enough depth on it. They can say 'postpone' all they want, it's cancelled. Otherwise, can we still expect UFC 176 to be slotted into the schedule? Even after UFC 177? No. It's cancelled. There was a big uproar when 151 got binned but now it seems almost expected. Look at UFC 177, that card is one injury away from getting cancelled as well.

No-one's having a massive whinge. I never said Bader vs OSP was a bad fight or one that didn't make sense, and neither did Lamby. But as a main event of a card, it just feels piss weak. No big deal. But you can't expect people to not complain at all when they don't like a fight. You don't have to love everything to be a 'proper fan'.

The difference between this and the Dublin show is that the Dublin show had a main event with a fighter people care about, fighting in his hometown in front of a rabid crowd. It had undefeated up and comer Gunnar Nelson in the co-main and a fight between Pickett and McCall which felt like it had title implications going in. It had potential contenders and breakout stars, one in the main event, one in the co-main. Bader's been around too long for the prospect tag, he's not really an exciting fighter and he's dull as dishwater as a personality. OSP is good but matched with Bader it dilutes my interest. Seriously they could match Shogun or Hendo against Bader and I wouldn't be that arsed. It's nothing to do with who's a contender for me. That can help, but as long as there's fighters I'm arsed about on the card (Shogun vs Hendo 2 in March, for example), I'm happy. I like this card, just not keen on the headliner.

And like said above, there's plenty of awesome cards coming up.

Bader vs. OSP is a fine fight as the co-main event on a Fight Night where the main event is something like Souza vs. Mousasi where the winner gets a title fight. In fact, I'd rather see Bader vs. OSP as the co-,main event for Souza vs. Mousasi II than Overeem vs. Rothwell.

• Paid Members

And like said above, there's plenty of awesome cards coming up.

fuck yeh, if you can hang on 7 whole days you get two more fight cards in one night...there's nothing to moan about here.

Anyway, the UFC is on a fucking role. People shit all over the New Zealand fight card a few weeks ago and it ended up being excellent, Bader/OSP will be Fight of the Year, i can feel it in me bones!!

i think Bader/OSP is a perfectly accceptable Fight Pass show headliner, it's 2 top 10 guys squaring off. 

It's a FOX show though, right? 

They'd probably draw higher numbers just playing a recording of the Ireland show instead I reckon. Bader/OSP isn't a main event on any UFC platform. People can dress it up as much as they want, but it's the drizzling shits.

In fact, it's probably one of the least anticipated fights on the card.

• Paid Members

Whether something is on Fox Sports or Fight Pass is to do with time zones, not quality.

David's not saying that at all. He's basically saying this headliner is so fucking bad that replaying the Dublin card would draw better ratings for the channel.

Whether something is on Fox Sports or Fight Pass is to do with time zones, not quality.

David's not saying that at all. He's basically saying this headliner is so fucking bad that replaying the Dublin card would draw better ratings for the channel.

I wasn't replying to David specifically. A lot of people are talking as if Fox Sports = C show and Fight Pass = D show

• Paid Members

I wasn't replying to David specifically. A lot of people are talking as if Fox Sports = C show and Fight Pass = D show

To be fair, I wasn't even aware of it myself (that every single card in North American is on Fox Sports/Fox) so you at least opened my eyes.

Archived