UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Am I the only one who thinks Miocic/Maldonado is just one of those fights that can't not deliver? It's just got soooo much potential.

I'd like to think so and I can see why you think that. But I don't know. I've got a feeling Stipe's just going to take Maldonado down and beat him up. If he can do that it's going to be very one sided because Fabio's ground game is very ropey. I remember in his last fight, I think Gillante had Fabio's back once and Fabio seemed to have no conception at all of defending chokes and stuff. It reminded me of when Cro Cop beat Pat Barry with the rear naked choke. Barry just had no defence, Cro Cop didn't even bother getting the hooks in and still tapped Barry.

I love Maldonado but I've said before, he's one of the most one dimensional fighters in MMA. He's a total throwback to the 'one style' SEG era of the UFC. Stupidly fun to watch and unbelievably tough, but very one dimensional. Him and Melvin Manhoef are my two favourite one trick ponies in MMA.

And Stipe can wrestle. He's a good boxer but, without being arsed to look it up, I think he's got NCAA level wrestling as well. He used it against Roy Nelson at times, he used it against Gonzaga, and he used it against Del Rosario and stopped him on the ground. The thing they all have in common is dangerous striking. Considering dangerous striking is all Maldonado has, I can't see Miocic bothering to stand with him too much. Especially when he probably doesn't have to and Fabio isn't great on the ground. Plus Miocic should enjoy a pretty good size advantage so I think he'll be able to control Fabio pretty well.

If he stands with Fabio, yeah, it'll be a war. But I honestly think Miocic can make this a pretty easy fight if he's smart about it. And he seems like a pretty intelligent fighter.

Looking forward to seeing if Barnatt can continue to impress. I hope he can. He's been really good.

I'm not sure where I stand on Barnatt. He's looked good so far but he's fighting lower level guys. He's what, three fights into the UFC or something now isn't he? And he's not been stepped up in opposition yet really. It's hard to say how good he is. He's was getting cracked quite a bit in his last fight which might not bode well for him when he does step up. He's alright but I don't really see him making too much of a splash. Especially at 185 which is more stacked than it's ever been now.

I think you might be right on Mousasi vs Munoz, Dave. That's kind of the feeling I'm getting.

• Paid Members

I was reading up on Maldonado (especially as jimufctna recommended him as someone to watch as a rare example of an in-fighter in MMA), and I have to ask: did he ever give any reasons why he quit boxing for MMA? Says he was undefeated, I'm surprised he didn't challenge for any world belts.

I was reading up on Maldonado (especially as jimufctna recommended him as someone to watch as a rare example of an in-fighter in MMA), and I have to ask: did he ever give any reasons why he quit boxing for MMA? Says he was undefeated, I'm surprised he didn't challenge for any world belts.

I would love to take credit for that, but I think that would have been EBB or Wand

Maldonado probably was a decent boxer in the pro ranks, but beating boxers out of Brazil (where he is based), is not like succeeding on a domestic level in America or even England.

Brazil is not known for its World Class Pro Boxers, it is strictly a MMA/MT/BJJ country. I cannot name of the top of my head one Pro Boxer who comes from Brazil. I do not think Maldonado could operate at World Level.

MMA was probably where the success and money was for him.

• Paid Members

I would love to take credit for that, but I think that would have been EBB or Wand

Maldonado probably was a decent boxer in the pro ranks, but beating boxers out of Brazil (where he is based), is not like succeeding on a domestic level in America or even England.

Brazil is not known for its World Class Pro Boxers, it is strictly a MMA/MT/BJJ country. I cannot name of the top of my head one Pro Boxer who comes from Brazil. I do not think Maldonado could operate at World Level.

MMA was probably where the success and money was for him.

Fair enough. That makes a lot of sense.

I know it's not a big deal, but I'll check up and credit accordingly.

• Paid Members

Yeah I always bum the bodyshotters. Vastly underused weapon in MMA. When Rogan used to always say leg kicks were the most underused weapon I always used to think 'no, bodyshots'. One good shot to the body can completely change the course of a fight. I remember pissing about as a teenager at boxing training (I was never any good at it) and I started getting too big for my boots and this kid whacked me with a livershot that would've made Bas Rutten cum if he'd seen it. I slumped down like I'd been shot from the grassy knoll and felt like I was going to vomit my cock and balls up. I definitely felt my waters break. I seriously thought I was dying.

My attendance at the boxing gym seemed to plummet after that funnily enough. I didn't even knowingly think 'fuck this' or anything, but I guess subconsciously I just realised 'what the fuck are you doing? You're not cut out for this'. Never felt agony like it. In that moment on my knees, the lad would've been kinder to just come up and knock me spark out.

Just looked up Maldonado. I don't know why he quit boxing but I'd guess Jim's assessment is probably about right. Wiki says he started boxing around the same time he started MMA. He stopped boxing in 2010 when the UFC came calling. I guess it was just a case of keep doing both and whichever one he gets a break in first, run with it. Plus boxing can be slow going. He had 20-odd fights unbeaten but boxing is so different to MMA. If you're 20-0 unbeaten in MMA you're probably a contender because 20 fights in, you've usually beat some stiff competition and proven yourself to some extent. In boxing, at 20-0 you still might be a rookie and fought nothing but bums. It's a much slower progression. Maldonado boxed for eight years, so to only fight 20 times in eight years isn't much at all. Fuck, Tyson fought 15 times in 1985 alone, his first year as a pro. So maybe Maldonado was never that serious about boxing and just took the odd fight as and when for a quick bit of coin.

One thing I loved though, on his Wiki page it says his nickname is 'Caipira de Aco', which translates to 'The Iron Hillbilly' :laugh: His other nickname is apparently 'Brawldonado', which is utter shite. He might have both the best and worst nicknames in MMA.

Yeah I always bum the bodyshotters. Vastly underused weapon in MMA. When Rogan used to always say leg kicks were the most underused weapon I always used to think 'no, bodyshots'. One good shot to the body can completely change the course of a fight. I remember pissing about as a teenager at boxing training (I was never any good at it) and I started getting too big for my boots and this kid whacked me with a livershot that would've made Bas Rutten cum if he'd seen it. I slumped down like I'd been shot from the grassy knoll and felt like I was going to vomit my cock and balls up. I definitely felt my waters break. I seriously thought I was dying.

Didn't you wear kidney protectors? My old boxing coach always told the story of when he used to box and one guy he fought constantly hit him in the kidney/liver area. After the fight he was literally pissing blood and had to go to hospital. He had a bruised kidney and liver ending up on dialysis for a while. So he constantly said about how lethal body shots are and how most boxers protect their face, but don't bring their elbows down to protect their body properly.

• Paid Members
Didn't you wear kidney protectors?

Like a prat, no. It wasn't proper sparring, we were just messing about. But we started hitting harder and I thought I was doing alright, then he showed me how wrong I was. Totally shut me down.

It must've spooked me because after that I was so shit scared of taking another shot like that, I started keeping my hands too low to protect my body. And as a result, my nose is no longer the one I was born with :(

Like I said, not for me, boxing. Or Muay Thai as it happens. I've long accepted that I'm just not tough enough for that shit. Especially as I've gotten older.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

OK, double header for UFC this Saturday. The cards are complete now. If you're avoiding TUF Brazil spoilers DON'T read ahead. Right?

First up in Germany..

UFC-Fight-Night-41-poster.jpg

FIGHT PASS MAIN CARD - 8PM UK - BT SPORT 2

Mark Munoz vs Gegard Mousasi

Francis Carmont vs CB Dollaway

Luke Barnatt vs Sean Strickland

Tom Niinimaki vs Niklas Backstrom

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Drew Dober vs Nick Hein

Magnus Cedenblad vs Krzysztof Jotko

Vaughan Lee vs Yuri Alcantara

Peter Sobotta vs Pawel Pawlak

Maximo Blanco vs Andy Ogle

Ruslan Magomedov vs Viktor Pesta

Then later on, in Brazil, the TUF Brazil 3 Finale...

050714-UFC-Miocic-Maldonado-HL-PI.vadapt.320.medium.31.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD - 3AM UK - BT SPORT 2

Stipe Miocic vs Fabio Maldonado

Vitor Miranda vs Antonio Carlos Jr - TUF Heavyweight Finals

Warlley Alves vs Marcio Alexandre Jr - TUF Middleweight Finals

Demian Maia vs Alexander Yakovlev

Rony Jason vs Robbie Peralta

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS - 1AM UK - BT SPORT 2

Rodrigo Damm vs Rashid Magomedov

Ernest Chavez vs Elias Silverio

Paulo Thiago vs Gasan Umalatov

Kevin Souza vs Mark Eddiva

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Richardson Moreira vs Marcos Rogerio de Lima

Wagner Silva vs Ricardo Abreu

Pedro Munhoz vs Matt Hobar

Can't say I'm massively arsed about either show but they could throw up a few pleasant surprises. I like the two main events, even though I really don't like Maldonado's chances. Going in almost blind on the TUF Brazil guys because I only got about four episodes in and fell too far behind to catch up.

The Germany show will clash with Froch vs Groves 2 so I'll be giving that priority. I'll catch these shows Sunday or Monday.

• Paid Members

very much a case of watching the 2 cards to make 1 nice big card for me :)

im waaay behind on TUF Brazil too, and being away on the weekend for Froch/Groves 2 im unlikely to catch up, i'll just watch the show, fuck it.

MMA will not exist to me this weekend. Froch vs Groves is going to be my combat sport fix

Only Stipe vs Fabio really interests me, I think that could be a fun brawl. I like Mousasi, but I am hardly chomping at the bit to see him fight Munoz

• Paid Members

Everyone on both tonight's shows made weight.

Maldonado came in at 225, Miocic was 238. You could tell looking at them in the staredown that Maldonado really shouldn't be at heavyweight. He probably shouldn't even be at 205 if we're honest. Got to love the man's fearlessness but I can't see him doing well tonight. I really hope I'm wrong though and I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Maldonado brought his little kid out on the stage at the weigh in as well. He should've got on the scale holding the kid. He'd still have made weight easy and would've been a pretty funny little visual.

The new Brazilian octagon girl is nice. Bit of a Trish Stratus look about her.

Archived