Skateboarding

Rey_Piste

Through the combination of getting Tony Hawk on XBLA, watching a bunch of documentaries and going round an old friend's house to pull out all his VHS tapes. I've re-found my passion for skateboarding, this all culminated in myself and aforementioned friend going to the local skate park a couple of weeks back in the evening. So there's the two of us both into our 30s bumbling about trying to do kickflips and shove-its, each of us taking turns with his board. It's been that long since I last skated that I was awful, but it was so much fun.

I also find it weird how much everything has progressed with the decks. I still find it funny that the first deck I rode was an old Cabalerro fish tail, which I bugged the fuck out of my parents for when I was 9.

DCPASCSGD-2.jpg

The closest i ever came to riding a modern board was the old Mike V World Industries deck.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg1w3ywQ...do8xo1_1280.jpg

I was surprised to find my friend's deck is concaved so not completely flat like I was used to, especially since my feet are so much bigger than when I kind of gave up when I was 13.

• Paid Members

I'm a fan, although I can't say I've spent much time on a board myself. I was big into Inline/Aggressive skating as a teenager, but missed the Skateboarding phase completely. I'd love to give it a go now, but learning from scratch at this point in my life seems a step too far.

You ever played Skate, Rey? For Skating fans it's probably the most realistic experience you'll get aside actually from riding a board. It's definitely the reason I started to get interested in Skateboarding myself a few years ago.

• Paid Members

I really loved the third game because of Hardcore mode, the improved filmer pack and the park creator, but it did kind of move away from the grittiness that made the series so great to start with. It's all gone to shit now since Blackbox disbanded and EA shut the servers though. No more uploading film and park sharing. It looks unlikely we'll get a game of such calibre again.

I used to have a neon green skateboard with pink wheels and a skull on it. My brother game me it. I was never a skateboarder, but it was cool as fuck. The description itself is exactly how your brain imagines is.

Wasn't this one by any chance?LTDSkullandSwordDeckGeeGah.jpg

I skated when I was 8 or 9 right until my early teens, until I started playing more rugby and team sports. Whilst I was always interested in it I just didn't do it again until recently, whilst the closest I came to a board was playing video games about skating. Mostly due to spending more time chasing birds and drinking in my spare time.

I had a skateboard when I was 12/13, seem to remember it having flames on it or something, we just used to hang around all night on streets after school. I was never very good or very into it though, I mainly sat around listening to Linkin Park and D12 on some tinny phone/portable speakers whilst watching everyone else and trying to talk to girls.That was when people were generally divided into 'skaters' or 'townies' when it came to school identities. The skaters liked nu-metal and rock, hung out on the old tennis courts and wore jeans and hoodies on non uniform days. The townies liked chart or happy hardcore, hung out smoking near the bike sheds and wore trackies and hoodies on non uniform days. The rest of the people were either sporty or just regular people. Then a couple of years later all the other sub genres like emo, goth, chav, punk, gamers, computer nerds, trendies etc.

I've been into skateboarding for 12 years or so now. I was only about 11 when the most recent 'boom period' came around and have stuck with it ever since. Try to go skating at least once a week which is made a bit easier by having tons of skateparks nearby including Harrow Skatepark. Haven't been able to skate as much as I'd like to recently though due to a foot injury for which I'm waiting to have surgery.

Archived