WWE 14 and beyond...

Golga

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert in Video Game development, but I don't understand why a brand new engine seems so far fetched to some people. Remember up until the current generation, we were getting different engines by different developers for different platforms.

PS2 had the Smackdown games

Gamecube had the Day of Reckoning games followed by two Wrestlemania titles

Xbox had the RAW games, followed by a seperate Wrestlemania title

You also had the cross platform Legends of Wrestling series.

I'm no expert in Video Game development, but I don't understand why a brand new engine seems so far fetched to some people. Remember up until the current generation, we were getting different engines by different developers for different platforms.

All those different developers weren't volunteers. They were getting paid. Whether it be three different Yukes teams or THQ using other companies to develop the games, the cost would've been incredibly high compared to developing one game to be ported to all systems. Considering the death of the PS2's competitors, they probably felt the money spent on separate engines for those games was just spunked up the wall. Wrestling was more popular ten or eleven years ago too, and there might have been a PlayStation exclusive deal for the Smackdown license at that time.

All those different developers weren't volunteers. They were getting paid. Whether it be three different Yukes teams or THQ using other companies to develop the games, the cost would've been incredibly high compared to developing one game to be ported to all systems. Considering the death of the PS2's competitors, they probably felt the money spent on separate engines for those games was just spunked up the wall. Wrestling was more popular ten or eleven years ago too, and there might have been a PlayStation exclusive deal for the Smackdown license at that time.

Yeah, I know it's more cost efficient for the one engine, I understand that, it's just some people's opposition to a new engine seems to be the idea that it would take years to build and all the tweaks that have gone into the current engine would be lost etc. (no great loss to me). I was just highlighting that the sheer number of different games we had in the past shows that it's not beyond the realms of possibility to wish for a fresh reboot.

Well the big thing would be that unless they spent a good two or three years on it, it would look very bare-bones in terms of content and modes (much like the first iterations of the Xbox/Gamecube games did, and like the TNA game). Using the same PS2 game for about ten years has meant THQ have been able to just bang in loads of new match types, season modes etc on the WWE games. If a game came out now that didn't have all the stuff we've gotten accustomed to like Elimination Chambers and Money in the Bank and WWE Universe mode stuff, it'd seem like a letdown even if the new game engine was great.

Well the big thing would be that unless they spent a good two or three years on it, it would look very bare-bones in terms of content and modes (much like the first iterations of the Xbox/Gamecube games did, and like the TNA game). Using the same PS2 game for about ten years has meant THQ have been able to just bang in loads of new match types, season modes etc on the WWE games. If a game came out now that didn't have all the stuff we've gotten accustomed to like Elimination Chambers and Money in the Bank and WWE Universe mode stuff, it'd seem like a letdown even if the new game engine was great.

I'd be willing to wait.

Alternatively, just re-release No Mercy with a few tweaks.

No Mercy is a pile of shit in 2013. Like Fire Pro Wrestling, it's great if you're nostalgic over it, but it in no way holds up as a mainstream title in this day and age. As a release on phones/Xbox arcade etc, a tweaked No Mercy might be alright. Not as a real game though.

And "willing to wait" is all well and good, but they want that cash hit every Christmas. And even if they were willing to skip one or two years for a bigger payoff down the road, there's probably no evidence suggesting that waiting two or three years to release a WWE game would result in that bigger payoff. The development costs on a new engine would be much higher than just adding stuff on the already-existing game too, so it'd need more sales before hitting profit. Some of us were wishing that Take 2 would roll the dice on a fresh start (I played WWE '13 for about two weeks and got bored, same as every other year), but it's easy to see why they don't.

No Mercy is a pile of shit in 2013. Like Fire Pro Wrestling, it's great if you're nostalgic over it, but it in no way holds up as a mainstream title in this day and age. As a release on phones/Xbox arcade etc, a tweaked No Mercy might be alright. Not as a real game though.

I don't think anybody would expect Take Two to stick No Mercy on a disc, and market it as a new retail release. I would say it could definitely work as an arcade title though. It more than holds up to WWE13 and is far from 'shit.'

Balls to these wrestling "simulations". Give me a re-skinned Power Stone 2 with Create modes.

This, so much this! It's why i liked the look of WWE Brawl, when i saw 4 players just running around some open area.

And to answer the earlier question, i'm not sure where it stands now as i don't think Yukes were developing the game and it may have been THQ themselves.

• Paid Members

I'd be willing to wait.

Alternatively, just re-release No Mercy with a few tweaks.

Although games on different platforms may have had different engines, what you wouldn

That seems to align with my assumptions, which was that they have taken across Yukes and the THQ game leads to ensure they hit the annual release date this year, then Visual Concepts will take over the lead on the franchise for WWE 2K15 (which I expect they'll start working on in the next couple of months) with Yukes and the THQ leads integrating into their team.

Archived