WWE 14 and beyond...

Golga

Figured it might be worth starting a new thread on this topic and indeed the future of WWE games. Please merge if it's not necessery.

So, looks like the rumours are true and Take Two have all but acquired the WWE licence...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-...estling-licence

Disappointingly (in my opinion) it looks like they'll be sticking with Yukes for the time being, and hiring some of THQ's old staff.

I've never been a huge fan of the Yukes games, and was kind of hoping they'd start from scratch with a brand new engine. I'd be more than willing to skip a year or two's worth of the same old from Yukes stuff, for something a bit refreshing with a ton of new options.

Thoughts?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gutted when i realised that Yukes were still producing the games, i honestly hate that broken PS2 game engine and the only thing worse than the current annual WWE games is the Dynasty Warriors (and spin-off) tripe that gets shoveled out constantly.

Ooops, double post.

Attitude Mode was great for the nostalgia hit, but even with the welcome addition of all the new (old) characters it was still the same stale, tired old game that they've been churning out for years.

It's pretty depressing with wrestling so poorly represented in the video game world that we unfortunately don't have much of an alternative. In a way it's gone the same way as football games. Years ago you had a huge catalogue of games representing the sport (FIFA, Kick Off, Sensible, ISS/PES, UEFA, Onside, Red Card, This is Football....etc.etc), these days were stuck with just FIFA and PES. It's likewise with the WWE games.

Don't know if anyone played the TNA iMPACT game, but despite it having virtually zero depth, a poor career mode and a serious lack of moves, it still felt fresh and the basis of what could be a decent wrestling game with a bit more development and padding out. I guess we'll never know.

I'd imagine Yukes are still on board primarily because 2K wouldn't be able to produce a decent game from scratch before the end of the year and don't want to miss out on a huge pile of cash by not releasing something this year. They're also supposed to be involved still for legal reasons aren't they?

The best thing that could happen is for 2K to do a similar thing to what Activision do with Call of Duty and alternate each year between Yukes and their own studio so that each game has a two year development cycle which couldn't be done with THQ because they were always short on money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: All Stars 2. I so want it to happen, and if having the same people making the games makes this even a little bit more likely, I'm all for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Brawl

Not exactly an Allstars 2 but it's sure arcadey, it got a hell of a lot of hate on from the one trailer THQ released but i didn't think it looked all that bad to be fair, it could have had potential.

• Awards Moderator
I've said it before and I'll say it again: All Stars 2. I so want it to happen, and if having the same people making the games makes this even a little bit more likely, I'm all for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Brawl

Not exactly an Allstars 2 but it's sure arcadey, it got a hell of a lot of hate on from the one trailer THQ released but i didn't think it looked all that bad to be fair, it could have had potential.

Might it be uncancelled then? Or is it a definitive no-go now?

• Paid Members
Did Wrestlefest ever get released for XBox and PS3?

Apparently, here are a couple of reviews.

http://us.playstation.com/games/wwe-wrestlefest-ps3.html

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/...15-d8025841123d

Will be mightily annoyed if no major changes come about. Churning out the same repetitive shit every year works to an extent, but the match engine is and has been utter bollocks for about 10 years now. Please can they fire Cory Ledesma though, I hate watch him gurning and pontificate about how poptastic the game is each year when trying to look at previews.

Will be mightily annoyed if no major changes come about. Churning out the same repetitive shit every year works to an extent, but the match engine is and has been utter bollocks for about 10 years now. Please can they fire Cory Ledesma though, I hate watch him gurning and pontificate about how poptastic the game is each year when trying to look at previews.

Agree with this. As the 'face' of WWE games he is a major annoyance. He's also a liar... he was asked during one of the WWE13 Preview Q&A's if the game would feature the classic WCW Nitro arena, his reply was "No, but all the parts are in the create-an-arena mode, so you can just make it yourself anyway." Turns out that was complete bollocks.

• Paid Members
I really don’t mind the WWE video games. WWF WarZone had its charm, but WWF Attitude with it’s robotic movements and Mortal Kombat-esque button commands was just a pain. And then the ECW videogames were just re-skins of WWF Attitude!

The cost in developing a new engine from scratch would be insane. And to build an engine in a year it’s going to be hard to build something spectacular, leading to the same old moans. Even if a studio were to develop a new engine, they’d only then iterate on it year over year leading to the same gripes of, “Oh, it’s just the same game as five years ago”. Figure in there’s a possible PlayStation 4 coming in the next couple of years, those grips will then escalate to, “Oh, it’s just the same engine we had on PS3 years ago.”

It's not really a massive, groundbreaking ask to want a wholesale update of a game once in 13 years is it though? I agree it's a big ask in a year, but I would take a rubbish match engine for a year if it meant you had some vestige of actual change in the game.

I don't think you would get the "oh it's the same match engine" debate if they create a better one. The reason why people want a new match engine is because the current one is shit and predictable, not because they just feel the need to moan about something.

It sounds like I'm just panning the games here. I do enjoy them, but it's the frustration of seeing the same mistakes year in, year out not be addressed.

Archived