Best Wrestling Art of 2012

Ronnie

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

art_zps9fe067fe.png

Which of the following do you like most?

Wrestlemania

200px-WrestleMania_XXVIII_poster.jpg

No Way Out

No_Way_Out_2012_poster_medium.jpg

Extreme Rules

wwe-extreme-rules-2012-poster.png

Attitude DVD

wwe-the-attitude-era-dvd-cover.jpg

TLC

349747_lg.jpg

Money In The Bank

200px-Money_In_The_Bank_2012.jpg

Edited by Ronnie

• Awards Moderator

Went for WrestleMania. Simple, sells the match, job done. I LOVE the Attitude DVD cover, though.

Sadly, I think No Way Out might win this category. It's fun, but it's more in keeping with a magazine cover than a PPV poster. It doesn't entice me to buy No Way Out in the slightest, unfortunately!

• Paid Members

I'll take the Wrestlemania poster, which gets the message across within the space of a single glance but looks nicer than the Extreme Rules poster.

The No Way Out and MITB posters are both novel and fun, but are better suited for posting in a forum than promoting a wrestling event. The TLC one could be a poster for some Terminator-style film, and I have to say that I originally thought that the Attitude cover was something that Ian had knocked up in MSPaint. Upon further examination I can see that it's good and looks rough and ready to reflect the time period but lack of polish and attempt to hide that it's a collection of cut-outs caught me out at first.

First time I've seen the Attitude Era DVD cover. I absolutely hate it. It really embodies WWE trying to put their own spin on the Attitude Era for me. Way too colourful and cutesy, the Attitude Era designs were always simple and to the point, like the scratch logo, the Austin 3:16 shirt... not a fan of this at all.

I'll still get the actual DVD, mind, just hate the design. I'd have a black case with the original scratch logo (which they can use now) and just have Austin, Rock, Taker, Kane, Mankind and DX. No Goldust, no colourful spray paint, no balloons (sweet tapdancing Moses, balloons?).

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Paid Members
First time I've seen the Attitude Era DVD cover. I absolutely hate it. It really embodies WWE trying to put their own spin on the Attitude Era for me. Way too colourful and cutesy, the Attitude Era designs were always simple and to the point, like the scratch logo, the Austin 3:16 shirt... not a fan of this at all.

Such shite. There's nothing "simple and to the point" about the attitude era. It was a big cluster fuck fad that caught on for a couple of years. You're making it sound like it was a back to basics type direction. Everything was done to catch your attention. There was zero thought in the Austin 3:16 logo, because there was no grand plans for him when the shirt came out.

SummerSlam_1998_Poster.jpgjuly%2098.jpgiyh_svdm.jpgrumble98.jpgIYH_Breakdown.jpg8.TheRock-July1999_display_image.jpgvLeyBcrToMAftDY.jpg

Anyway its just a full little cover mocked up in reference to an era long dead. Don't see why anyone would hate it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Okay, maybe saying it was ALWAYS simple was an overstatement, but three of those designs are more along the lines of what I remember Attitude for (St Valentine's Day Massacre, Royal Rumble and Breakdown), mostly darker colours, with nothing as bright and garish as that DVD cover. Three of those are magazine covers, which are designed differently to more iconic designs as PPV posters as HG alluded to. The Summerslam one seems like a bit of an anomaly there, but I like it- fire, destroyed cities and two badass wrestlers.

I suppose a better way to make my point about my distaste for the Attitude Era DVD was that it seems a bit cartoonish/childish to me, and nothing you pointed out there seems particularly cartoonish in that vein, nor do I remember that time as having that tone.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Awards Moderator

The Attitude Era was completely cartoonish, everything was totally over the top. Characters like Mankind, particularly in '99, The Godfather, the satanic Undertaker and his ministry, Blue Meanie, Goldust and so on - okay, not childish, but in no way, shape or form realistic. The storylines were likewise - Al Snow and Bossman, Big Show and Bossman, and so on - again, adult-oriented but utterly ludicrous. Same for many of the iconic moments - a group driving a tank through the streets, the whole beer bath thing, dropping title belts into rivers. The violence - falling off ever higher objects, constant headshots with ever more extravagant weaponry, many many flips from certain people - was attention-grabbing because of its overstated nature, i.e. cartoonish. Even the way people spoke was cartoonish; with a few exceptions, promos in that time period were essentially dissolved to a succession of catchphrases. Attitude WWE was definitely like a cartoon. Not childish, true (not that I think the DVD cover is, anyway, it's ripping off Sgt. Pepper's for fuck's sake, and even if it wasn't it doesn't look childish in the slightest, just because it's not dreary and bleak-looking doesn't mean it's childish) but absolutely cartoonish. The cover's right in keeping.

Yeah, that's why I had "cartoonish/childish" together. There's kids cartoons like Road Runner, then more teen orientated cartoons like Family Guy. Both are OTT, but in different ways. I can appreciate over the top things like Taker's ministry, not so much over the top things like Hornswoggle painting holes on walls. To me, the DVD cover has a tone befitting the latter- although my opinion might change if I knew what Sgt. Pepper was. :/