The Best Heel of 2012

Ronnie

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator

Loads of good choices for this! I've gone for Bully Ray because he needs some recognition and I know he'll appreciate winning this. That said, Bobby Roode's great as a heel despite losing a bit of the momentum he had going for him a year ago, Show and Punk are fine but weren't particularly outstanding (ditto Laurinaitis and Heyman), Lesnar wasn't around enough, and Bryan would have been my second choice.

Daniels showed more character than he ever has this but I'd probably only have voted if it had been a joint nomination with Kazarian.

• Paid Members

SummerSlam '88, marvellous. Beefpiece bleeding, Honky jobbing, Liz' skirt coming off. The best heel of 1988 was the BBFC for giving the tape a 15 cert.

Bobby Roode over Bully, mainly because he's been a heel all year where Ray's actually been a face for a while (or HAS he... dun dun dun).

Bobby Roode has to win an award this year, he's been the best wrestler in the world for about 18 months.

• Paid Members

A really difficult choice here as all of them have been fantastic but I have to go for Daniel Bryan for his tremendous start to the year. I loved his feud with Henry/Show at the beginning of the year and how it lead to the great squash match at Mania. Thought it did wonders for Bryan's heel character.

• Paid Members

Paul Heyman has done a top job reprising his sleazeball persona to embellish his charges' villainous sides but my pick for the year goes to Bully Ray. I've never, ever liked or appreciated him, but Calfzilla reinvented himself miraculously this year becoming, for me, the highlight of Impact. I hope he'll be back in his very believable heel role again soon, because he's been my favourite wrestler all year.

You can't underestimate the graft Heyman's put in trying to make Punk a top guy, but I had Daniels JUST edging out Bully Ray this year. Where the fuck did this brilliant prick come from? The piss takes, the middle finger glove, and FINALLY figuring out how to be an entertaining pro wrestler after his first thirty years as the highest profile example of a flippy spot monkey from that rotten crop of guys coming through in the late 90s. A revelation, just a shame it's ten years too late. He's brought Kaz up to nearly the same level too, he deserves a lot of credit for that. They remind me of early New Age Outlaws in their capacity as trouble-making dickheads, and like the Outlaws, whereas Daniels arguably had enough verbally to keep him on the roster (Dogg), Kaz was a total fucking waste of air time and a good physique (Gunn) before they got rolling. Ideally they let them carry on like this too, before the crowd turn them face like Beer Money. I'd be curious to see if Daniels can carry on this twat persona targeting heels instead.

• Paid Members

Sticking Heyman with Punk really was a masterstroke. Not only did it help keep and establish Punk as heel but it's almost felt as though it helped cement his main-event being a big deal status due to the association or possible association with Brock Lesnar. Sharing screen time with Rock and Cena obviously helped, it all came together at once really nicely and all 3 factors contributed significantly. Heyman has definitely been a good thing for Punk and he really is fabulously hateable.

Bully Ray was utterly fantastic for most of the year. Really think Big Show deserves credit for getting himself over as a heel. He's such a great talent. He shouldn't be accepted as a heel at this point in his career and he's completely fucking loveable. Fair play to him for making a seemingly nonsensical turn work so well. He was fantastic in putting thoughts in Punks head and instigating his turn back to the dark-side and he's been tremendous opposing Sheamus. I'm half-expecting Menry to return as a face and get all up in his shit. I'm not sure if that dynamic will work but i want to see it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
SummerSlam '88, marvellous. Beefpiece bleeding, Honky jobbing, Liz' skirt coming off. The best heel of 1988 was the BBFC for giving the tape a 15 cert.

Technically it was the Heel of 1990 then. One of the first WWF VHS to be released over here in fact. Great time for wrestling fans.

Big Show really shouldn't work as a heel. He's just so likeable, but he's made it work. Particularly liked the line about how he didn't even mind entertaining the fans, it was just part of his job rather than saying he hated them when he did his heel turn speech.

Heyman has been the best part of Punk's act this year.