50 years ago this month: Joint Promotions schedule

JNLister

• Paid Members

Here's the Joint Promotions schedule from the January 1963 issue of the The Wrestler. Bear in mind this doesn't include shows from the then healthy independent circuit.

406665_10151156480371105_767891118_n.jpg

582362_10151156479661105_1639555455_n.jpg

And from the same issue's letters page there's a first appearance by a young lad who was definitely heard from again:

16558_10151156481976105_559582247_n.jpg

• Paid Members

That's absolutely insane. 7 shows a month in Leicestershire alone!

De Montfort Hall has fully retracting seats on the bottom tier now. It'd be amazing for wrestling, if probably a bit too pricey to hire.

• Paid Members

It really is sad to see wrestling weekly at venues, and yet today some promoters struggle to fill a venue monthly.

Lister, would this be because of TV exposure? Just a simple case of it being a different time? Or a multitude of factors?

• Paid Members
Good to know that the "hold shows everywhere, except Edinburgh" touring-schedule is a tradition dating back to the 60's.

Not sure why it isn't listed here, but certainly by the same time in 1964 the Eldorado Stadium was running weekly in Edinburgh.

• Paid Members
It really is sad to see wrestling weekly at venues, and yet today some promoters struggle to fill a venue monthly.

Lister, would this be because of TV exposure? Just a simple case of it being a different time? Or a multitude of factors?

I think it's partly the lack of TV stars, but mainly the fact that live entertainment is very different nowadays. With all the TV/DVD/internet other stuff you can do, most entertainment is a one-off thing that you make a big treat of and travel to a venue, so people aren't as much in the culture of going to a local venue every week for something like wrestling.

• Paid Members
Good to know that the "hold shows everywhere, except Edinburgh" touring-schedule is a tradition dating back to the 60's.

I'm not familiar with the venues in Edinburgh. Is there anywhere nowadays a all-seated wrestling show could run?

• Paid Members

Not sure why it isn't listed here, but certainly by the same time in 1964 the Eldorado Stadium was running weekly in Edinburgh.

I never knew that, cheers.

I'm not familiar with the venues in Edinburgh. Is there anywhere nowadays a all-seated wrestling show could run?

It depends what wrestling show, really. There's nowhere big/good enough for a WWE/TNA show, WWE ran the Royal Highland Centre (a car-boot sale hall) in 2005 and it was a disaster. For everyone else, most places seem to be too expensive, All Star used to come regularly during the late 90's/early 2000's (and were doing relatively well), running at the Playhouse, Usher hall and Meadowbank, but once WWE stopped being popular, their crowds started dying as well.

In recent years, I've seen a few shows get announced but they always end up getting cancelled, there was supposed to be a "super-show" type event at Meadowbank with Roddy Piper on it a few years ago, but was so poorly advertised that I only heard about it on here, obviously that ended up getting cancelled in the end as well.

Those are just the "proper" venues, though, and all the failed attempted shows in recent years have been shithouse companys that didn't advertise. I think there would be plenty of places suitable for holding smaller indy-shows that get held everywhere else in Scotland. I think there's a decent market for it here as well (certainly no less than fucking LARGS!). I can't remember where it took place off the top of my head, but there was a show on during the Fringe last year (with Pac on it) that sold out. There's plenty of venues like that that would be fine, I think.

There was a real fascination with Professional Wrestling in the 1960's.My uncles would spend more time discussing wrestling matches than football.How much did the wrestlers get hurt?Who was stronger and tougher than someone else?and of course how much the results were predetermined.

Professional Wrestling was seen as an enjoyable alternative to Boxing long before the advent of MMA. Also with only two TV channels the wrestlers became national figures in a way that will never be repeated.It is also worth noting that there are far fewer Boxing events now than 50 years ago but as fans of Professional Wrestling we must support the present generation of wrestlers by attending as many live events as possible

• Paid Members

Spence Street Baths in Leicester is definitely still there, it's just your bog-standard local leisure centre. Loughborough Town Hall is still a regular entertainment venue, I've been to see comedians doing Edinburgh previews there. The room's actually a pretty standard size for a BritWres show. And De Montford Hall isn't a place, but as I said, De Montfort Hall is still there (local pet peeve, move along).

How many of the venues on this list still exist? Fairfield Hall in Croydon, Victoria Hall in Hanley, and De Montford Hall in Leicester all do. Any others?

And obviously the Royal Albert Hall in London.

I know Ossett Town Hall still exsists as DPW ran several shows there and of course The Blackpool Tower still exsists.

Archived