Preston City Wrestling - Invasion - Nov 9th

fludder99

I honestly don't understand the mentality of silly chanters...

Actually, I think I do...

They reckon that a wrestler will hear them and go to themselves "That was dead funny and clever" and the wrestler will go to them after the show and go "That was dead funny and clever" and they'll be mates forever and the chanter will tell all his friends how he's friends with the wrestler because he was dead funny and clever.

Not going to happen though. Ever.

Yes, because it's impossible that we'd be doing it for fun. No, we must be secretly hoping one of the wrestlers will come up to us afterwards and we'll become bestest mates.

You haven't got the faintest idea what you're talking about.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I reckon I do. Do any of your friends wear the same T-shirts to shows, or a hat, or sunglasses or something?

But seriously, if it's not organic chanting because you're really into something going on, why do you chant something and how do you come up with what you chant?

I have an even simpler approach.

If you're doing something that's lessening other people's enjoyment of a show (Any show, as in any sort of entertainment, sport or public event.) then you should stop.

If you refuse to stop you should be thrown out.

I've heard the "We're just having fun!" and "We're trying to help!" numerous times from folk at comedy nights when they've spent the entire evening screwing up everyone's punchlines. Without exception they're the walking, talking, mouth breathing near human incarnation of a Homer Simpson tie. Never, ever as funny as they consider themselves to be and a genuine detriment to the business as they put folk off coming back and turn a job that should be a joy into the equivalent of wading through tar.

Show some respect for the people that came to see and hear a great wrestling show. If they wanted to hear you they'd come to your bus stop and stare at you with the pigeons.

• Paid Members

I thought the appeal of wrestling was the whole Rocky Horror Picture Show aspect of it, where the crowd are into it and react accordingly to their favourite bits and when things really take a turn for the better they lose themselves in a fit of emotional attachment. Anyone who goes to try and get themselves over should be shot with shit. I get the idea (even if I'm obviously against it) of throwing shit at wrestlers if you are so wound up your passion overtakes you. Even jumping the ring is understandable, because if you are so into it and decide "I fancy my chances", then the wrestler will more likely murder you in the ring if you make it. But at least that disgraceful behavour can be put down to the wrestlers doing such a good job they have drove the fans to such a batshit state of mind. But premeditated 'hilarious' chanting is just the worst thing in the world.

I remember Raven (who's dislike for wrestling fans is starting to make me understand him now) saying years ago that someone at a Q&A asked him "I'm MrStingMask316, you may know me from WrestleBanana.org" and Raven stopped him and said "how and why the fuck would I know who you are?". Raven mentioned another story where the ECW sign guy said "kayfabe" to Stevie Richards when they were chatting like a fan and a wrestler would, and when Raven heard he was so offended he invented a character called sign guy to kill the guys shitty audience gimmick. CM Punk is another one. Years ago I watched a Q&A and some bellend went "what's your favourite alcoholic beverage". He reacted by saying "not answering that because he's a dick" or whatever, but there was no way that arsehole wasn't trying to make the wrestler/person they actually paid to see look like a complete spanner. The people in the ring don't deserve shit like that. Its bollocks if you think about it.

Wrestling has so many of that type these days. They attract so many of them, its a huge detriment to the presentation and the perception of what the wrestling business is. They are the types who only go to the likes of Preston City Wrestling because their voices will be heard in a small setting. I'd like to slap them all. And I will if they want to pop round before I'm A Celebrity starts.

EDIT: Chris Brooker is a fine man by the way. I met him at the Foley gig last year and had a chat while waiting in line. Wrestling in this country needs more people like him.

Except that on Friday it wasn't sporadic but continuous and intrusive to many others.

The people in quesion were far more interested in their own "smart" comments than in the action in the ring or what the wrestlers had to say.

In most aspects the PCW shows are well organised and the action in the ring is unbeatable.

However, perhaps management need to also take on board that crowd control is also important, and perhaps some well chosen words at the start of each show would be a good idea.

If people don't comply and are continually obnoxious the way some people were on Friday, they could be first warned and then ejected and banned from the next show.

Then they could indeed stand at their own bus stop and amuse each other with their mindless chants.

When they have grown up they could be let in, but perhaps they are not mature enough to cope with both a wrestling show and the drinking of alchol.

You pay your money, you have a good time so nobody can be faulted for that and more ppower to people for trying to make a night of it. I can see why people might take exeption to stuff if people are trying to get themselves over at the expense of the wrestlers, no matter how good the match is.

I have been noted for saying colourful language in the past but im still mindful of stuff. I wont drop F bombs or use the C word. I wont make inappropiate stuff about women that is degrading but thats just me. Maybe im just getting too old to think that stuff is cool nowadays haha.

at the last show I'm pretty sure that 80% of the 400 crowd were chanting for Travis or Noam. I hold my hands up as I didn't hear any other chants. At no point did a single person mention during the show there was an issue. I would of much rather been told as it's not like I'm hard to see or find at a show. What's done is done and both Noam and Travis did not care when I asked them about the group. See I respect the points Chris raised but wrestling is not comedy where you can ruin the punchline. Nor does anything said from the crowd differ from what you would hear a football match. I will of course be monitoring the footage of the show and watching it in detail as I do want everybody to enjoy my shows. There was nothing stopping anybody from starting a normal chant as the whole room was in parts of the main event. I have encouraged fans to be vocal so I can see both sides. I will be keeping an eye out in future but a quiet word to any of my staff or me if something said offends you does not go a miss. It's much easier to weigh up my options at the show and chat to over excited fans. I won't say he said etc It's my show so if fans are bothered by anything then talk to me. Its never happened before so it would be wrong to say I'm banning anybody ect. Anybody wants yo explain their side then message me in detail not in public and I will not repeat what is said but I can get a clear unbiased picture of events.

thanks

Steve

Archived