Preston City Wrestling - Invasion - Nov 9th

fludder99

The group behind us were chanting some vile stuff at Angelina Love, made me cringe hearing it. Fair play to her for just ignoring them. They were even doing their own mock wrestling which was kind of embarassing to see.

Props to the guys dressed as Hogan and Taker though.

On the whole another good show last night, Decembers promises to be awesome!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I completely agree with the comments about the large group of people near the bar who were chanting just for the sake of it, making up ridiculous and frequently offensive chants rather than paying any respect to the wrestlers who were working so hard in the ring. These people clearly think they are clever and witty but thats not how they look to the wrestlers or the rest of the fans.

In terms of wrestling it was an excellent show and thanks as ever to Mr Fludder for all his efforts.

Wasn't CJ Banks supposed to be there?

Which group? There were at least 3 different groups, though see how it could have looked like one. There was one group to the left of the gap to go to the bar, one in the middle and next to the DJ booth and one who were on god only knows what just behind everyone. Which chants were ridiculous and offensive, can narrow it down from there.

I think it was the latter group you mention:

Ridiculous chants:

"you're our Cena but you turned heel"

"Deep fried arm bar"

Those chanting them obviously thought they were so funny but no one else appeared to be laughing and they wer ejust an annoyin distraction from what the evening is supposed to be about - the wrestling in the ring

Offensive:

The one about a certain part of T Bone's anatomy

When another section of the crowd shouted "please stop swearing" the group in question loudly shouted back certain four letter word.

Some people seem to forget that there are children present. Even if one argues that many children are as familiar with swear words as most adults that is no excuse for loudly shouting them in a public place

• Paid Members

The top lot of chants ( deep fried armbar, you've had my dad,smack and haggis) are 3 guys that go to pretty much every show and constantly chant. 90% of it is shite and them just trying to get themselves over but they never stop

The top lot of chants ( deep fried armbar, you've had my dad,smack and haggis) are 3 guys that go to pretty much every show and constantly chant. 90% of it is shite and them just trying to get themselves over but they never stop

Thanks, I'm glad someone else finds them as annoying as me!

Thankfully not so annoying that it could ever ruin the brilliant pcw action

• Paid Members

Thanks, I'm glad someone else finds them as annoying as me!

Thankfully not so annoying that it could ever ruin the brilliant pcw action

Nah most people I now that go there have mentioned them before. Couldn't take away from the atmosphere of that last match. Not heard a crowd like that in ages

I think it was the latter group you mention:

Ridiculous chants:

"you're our Cena but you turned heel"- That was during the Mastiff match,wasnt it? Didnt get that at all

"Deep fried arm bar"- Riff on Deep Fried Mars Bar, I would assume, aimed at the PBW contingent. Least it kind of makes sense

Those chanting them obviously thought they were so funny but no one else appeared to be laughing and they wer ejust an annoyin distraction from what the evening is supposed to be about - the wrestling in the ring

-PCW has always to some extent been about the crowd and their chants and being daft. The wrestlers when I've spoken to them seem to really enjoy the buzz, usually and it doesnt distract from the wrestling.

Offensive:

The one about a certain part of T Bone's anatomy- Penis chants :/ you should have heard the Angelina chants, pretty certain was the same group as Fight Night. Too far, guys if you read this, too far

When another section of the crowd shouted "please stop swearing" the group in question loudly shouted back certain four letter word.

Some people seem to forget that there are children present. Even if one argues that many children are as familiar with swear words as most adults that is no excuse for loudly shouting them in a public place

I don't think people forget their are children present. Swearing has been part and parcel since the get go. Dave 'The Bastard' Mastiff and introduced as such and the number of F-bombs and so forth has always been there from the talent and the crowd. I've not heard of anyone not bringing their kids as a result though and know a few that bring their wee bairns to the show. PCW isnt a morgue nor is it a polite Japanese show, it's a different beast entirely. Whether that's a good or bad thing I guess is down to the individual though I suppose. Indeed many people go because of the atmosphere and the camaraderie. They know the wrestling will be superb, as a general rule and get caught up in the moment to some extent. Due to he setting and the nature of the beast they do get carried away, but to some that is what helps set PCW apart from the rest, indeed much of the criticism about Fright Night was that there was little or no atmosphere, when talking about it last night and that the usual chants or whatever were missed.

When it's good, that place is magical ( indeed Nigel McGuinness has said Festive Fury was one of, if not his favourite match iirc) PCW/Fludboat has also said on FB, that Angelina " loved the shit people were chanting at her." In essence, the crowd help to make PCE such a good night, and it has converted many. Loads of first timers there last night and are PCW converts after one show. However, can see why people wouldnt think much of it on the other side of things.

The group of three kept on shouting "faggot" at people. I find that much more offensive than harmless chanting. "Deep Fried Arm Bar" is now a horrible chant or something? Fucking hell. Some people need to get a grip.

I didn't really get the chanting during the main event as much of the anti-Scottish stuff was being chanted by guys who were on Noam's side. Other than that, I didn't see a problem with it. They were into the action. This should never be seen as a bad thing.

• Paid Members
The group of three kept on shouting "faggot" at people. I find that much more offensive than harmless chanting. "Deep Fried Arm Bar" is now a horrible chant or something? Fucking hell. Some people need to get a grip.

I didn't really get the chanting during the main event as much of the anti-Scottish stuff was being chanted by guys who were on Noam's side. Other than that, I didn't see a problem with it. They were into the action. This should never be seen as a bad thing.

No one said it was a horrible chant did they. Just that it was shit.

For me there's no place for offensive/sexual chants at a family show. They can have their place within an 18+ audience but not when kids are there. Swearing should be minimal too.

That said, 'Deep Fried Armbar' is a great chant, actually made me laugh reading it.

Swearing is going to be expected at an event in a night club.It may not be officially classified as over 18 event but the crowd was overwhelmingly young adult.Perhaps parents should just be advised in advance there may be some swear words

For me there's no place for offensive/sexual chants at a family show. They can have their place within an 18+ audience but not when kids are there. Swearing should be minimal too.

That said, 'Deep Fried Armbar' is a great chant, actually made me laugh reading it.

Swearing is going to be expected at an event in a night club.It may not be officially classified as over 18 event but the crowd was overwhelmingly young adult.Perhaps parents should just be advised in advance there may be some swear words

Yeah should clarify that I meant minimal swearing at family shows in general not PCW, disclaimer in this case would be fair enough. The sexual or over the top swearing should be kept for shows that are exclusively 18+

I agree about the unique atmosphere at PCW; it is friendly and exciting. That's what got me hooked on it from the first time I walked in.

However the (offensive) chants I mentioned and the individuals involved in no way contribute to that atmosphere, they detract from it.

In my opinion there is a big difference between Dave Mastiff being referred to as a bastard and the use of f words and sexual references.

The other chants just show how self absorbed that group of people are. They started the "deep fried arm bar" chant when there wasn't an arm bar in sight; though apparently some of that grouo don't actually recognise a wrestling hold. When they were told by someone that this wasn't an arm bar, they muttered to themselves, "let's wait until he does one then". Clearly they just wanted to draw attention to themselves; something which was noticed by Noam Dar who told them to "shut up", not in the normal way a heel would shout at the crowd but in a way that showed he was clearly fed up with their distracting nonsense (along with many others amongst the audience).

The one about Cena was aimed at Chris Travis, who in no way resembles John Cena either in appearance or in wrestling style. The chants by that group just seem to get more an more contrived and long winded, making sense only to them.

It was an excellent show, only slightly marred by that particular group of people, who were clearly irritating many others who were standing near me. Clearly I made the mistake of standing too near those making the chants I mentioned, I won't make that mistake again. On other occasions I haven't been near to that group and so their behaviour was much less noticeable.

We all have the right to relax, have fun and enjoy PCW, its just I feel that some people show absolutely no respect and consideration for others in the way they choose to enjoy and express themselves.

One of the chant's of 'please stop swearing' from one group were immediately followed by a chant that had swearing in it from the same people. So i think that group were more just trying to get a rival chant going rather than trying to get the others to behave.

I don't mind swearing at wrestling, and due to the nature of the show it's still going to happen even at family shows but I think as long as it's not excessive or completely unnecessary a lot of people / parents will probably let it slide. But I think chanting 'holy shit' when a massive move comes off is fine as it's a universal wrestling chant, but some of the other stuff chanted had nothing to do with the matches, was completely over the top and if I was a parent taking my kids for the first time there is no chance I'd take them back. The parents who will get offended probably wouldn't complain, just not take their kids again and although the show isn't directed entirely to families, it's not directed exclusively at adults so you don't want a handful of people trying to get themselves over to alienate anyone.

It didn't add to the match and there was and I also found the chanting annoying, distracting and disrespectful to the guys going out there putting their bodies on the line to entertain us, and i strongly got the impression that Noam Dar in particular wasn't enjoying it. There was certainly an atmosphere and there was a lot of noise from the crowd, but on Friday it wasn't necessarily in a good way. Compare that to the atmosphere generated in matches like the Tozowa vs Ligs match and it shows you can have chants and crowd interaction without having to take away from the match.

Archived