Cash in hand

John Matrix

• Paid Members

There's a credit crunch on. I need a new roof on my garage and have been offered a cash in hand deal, i.e. no VAT from a seemingly reputable firm.

I ought to rip their arm off i assume? but i'm dubious that they offered and i didnt have to press them for it myself.

I should point out i'm not being pressed down that route, it's very much a case of "If it helps seal the deal, but pay full whack if you want to".

Supposedly we get the same guarantee etc, just no invoice.

What do you reckon? Anyone had dealings of this nature previously?

• Paid Members

I know it really should be that simple. I was just concerned that without proof of purchase, i might be up the swanny in the event of a fault or something you know?

I guess you couldnt shop them in as you would be as liable for the tax fiddle as they are etc?

I realise i'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill.

I guess you couldnt shop them in as you would be as liable for the tax fiddle as they are etc?

Not really. As far as the tax man knows, you paid for the job in cash inc vat, its not up to you to decalre their earnings.

I know it really should be that simple. I was just concerned that without proof of purchase, i might be up the swanny in the event of a fault or something you know?

I realise i'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill.

Suppose the issue is, if you go down the route that they charge you VAT, what's the difference in the guarantee? They'll either honour it or not either way, don't think the VAT thing will sway them.

Clearly it's a moral issue as well - not for them evidently, but for you perhaps!

• Paid Members

Think you've pretty much answered your own question dude. If you've got a problem with the job it'll be harder for you to chase compensation as you'll have no 'proof of purchase'. That said, unless you're dealing with a big company you'd probably just end up arguing the toss & having to take it to small claims anyway.

As a rule I'm happy to pay cash for small jobs (anything under a couple of hundred quid), if it's something major I'd want some level of protection.

• Moderators

Nah.. I get what you're saying. A roof is a bigger deal than just a wood fence in the back garden, which is not a particularly exepnsive job in the first place.

The guys doing the job for me kinda rely on word of mouth for a lot of their business though so I gotta expect that they want to protect their reputation and do a decent job. Also, I got a good vibe off the guy when he came over.

But yeah.. you are kinda rolling the dice, so if you're uncomfortable with it don't do it.

Cash in Hand, greases alot of palms. Not long had my kitchen redone, and if had paid cash could have had a huge discount. When I was labouring, back in the day, I have been paid full whack not to go into work when is a cash in hand job, because is a cash write off or were doing it off price and the company would still be massively up.

If it's there and they are trustworthy then , hell to the fucking yeah I would

• Paid Members

Really appreciate your thoughts / experiences on this one.

Pretty much everything that's been said, positive and negative i've considered myself at some point.

I've worked in sales and marketing so i think i'd spot a bogus firm if i was dealing with one. Their website, flyers etc are of a good standard (easily done i know), but they also have fully livered vehicles with working demo's on a bespoke trailer and had a demonstration in the city centre recently which the firm will have had to have paid to do so i'm fairly confident that they arent 'cowboys'.

I just found it very unusual to be 'offered' a cash in hand price without having to negotiate it, but i'm equally re-assured that i'm not being pressured down that route in that they are clearly happy to take the vat and do the associated paperwork if I pay it, there's no go on, pay us in cash! going on.

I reckon i'll probably run with it as long as i can get assurances that the guarantee will be honoured - the roofing type is a product in it's own right, so it may be that the product is guaranteed if not the installation so there might be some additional protection that way.

I could just post the link to the firm, but that seems a little unfair on them given that i have at the very least implied that i think there could be something dodgy.

Archived