There are genuine promoters out there

PATTIJ

You need to judge your audience. Younger kids are often told to stay in their seats, and so will stay put when you go for a brawl, thinking that it's the safest place to be.

That's pretty much it in my opinion. If the show is expecting to draw a decent number of youngsters then you adjust your matches to suit.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Security barriers at ringside are a must

Dragon Gate and CMLL seem to do okay without them though.

I'm not a fan of barriers unless you had loads of room. I have seen barriers cause more bother than it protects. The amount of times a wrestler has whipped someone into a barrier that has then hit a fan is unbelievable and its negligent.

Can I just say for the record...that we have barriers at Grand Pro Wrestling and its extremely rare for the action to spill beyond the barriers. On the rare occasions it does happen (and in the last 9 years I can count on one hand the number o times it has happened),all the safety procedures are carried out. We also don't have swearing on our shows.

This will probably come out all wrong, but I've written it twice and still cant formulate it properly.

Must have been another fed where the wrestling went all over the venue, smashed into a bandit/ bar and had one or two wrestlers high fiving pretty much the entire audience on their way in.

I appreciate that you want to highlight the safety aspect and that things will have changed since I went watching them back in the day However the same fed afaik had been kicked out of the then Monaco, for being too rowdy or whatever and the above. I can remember if there was swearing or not, not like it matters.

Kids go to football and rugby matches all the time there is coarse and vulgar language in that, and the danger of getting smacked by a ball flying at a ridiculous velocity. I guess it depends what you are looking for in a live event. Something clinical and safe and sure or something with a bit more of an edge to it.

A very big Thank You to Ben at Southside for ringing me to discuss my concerns, it was very much appreciated and showed that he really does care about his fans.

As to the incident that Pattij mentioned in regards to Karl Krammer at the All Star show, i was also at that show and at no time did anyone ask if she was alright or point her in the direction of a qualified first aider. What surprised me was that at one time there was always the St Johns Ambulance in attendance.

As in regards to barriers round the rings, it can be both a good and bad thing. On one side it protects the fans and wrestlers but on the other it can be very painful if you are hit by the barrier. I know when David Flair did Hanley, he looked frightened to death of the crowd because he was used to having barriers round the ring to protect him.

Can I just say for the record...that we have barriers at Grand Pro Wrestling and its extremely rare for the action to spill beyond the barriers. On the rare occasions it does happen (and in the last 9 years I can count on one hand the number o times it has happened),all the safety procedures are carried out. We also don't have swearing on our shows.

This will probably come out all wrong, but I've written it twice and still cant formulate it properly.

Must have been another fed where the wrestling went all over the venue, smashed into a bandit/ bar and had one or two wrestlers high fiving pretty much the entire audience on their way in.

I appreciate that you want to highlight the safety aspect and that things will have changed since I went watching them back in the day However the same fed afaik had been kicked out of the then Monaco, for being too rowdy or whatever and the above. I can remember if there was swearing or not, not like it matters.

The JC Thunder/El Ligero match was an isolated incident where the wrestlers involved had not advised management of some of the things they would be doing. Prior to that match and since that match as I've said the shows have been and continue to be safe. I just wanted to make this point because I don't think its fair to tar Grand Pro with the same brush as the rest.

I agree about the barriers, not every place needs barriers, the venue PPW uses couldn't be able to fit any barriers in and thus i guess it leaves the wrestlers to figure what they can and can't do. I'm sure if one accidentally hurt a fan that the wrestler or even a member of the PPW staff would go over and make sure they are ok.

The JC Thunder/El Ligero match was an isolated incident where the wrestlers involved had not advised management of some of the things they would be doing. Prior to that match and since that match as I've said the shows have been and continue to be safe. I just wanted to make this point because I don't think its fair to tar Grand Pro with the same brush as the rest.

Who was tarring what with what now? This is a bit unreal? It feels like I've stepped in to a different galaxy or something. I pointed out this has happened at Monaco and subsequent show(s)! and then get a massively OTT response. There is no besmirching or denegrating of the 'product'. Just saying that you know, shit happens at events, whether it be wrestling or other wise.

So you are safe now, great, have a party or something, I'll bring the bubble wrap. Good grief

Southside wrestling is a credit to the UK as a whole and the fact that the promoter took the time to do that is fantastic, I don't know Ben personally but that sounds like he really does care about his fans and his reputation. With wrestling you always get that kind of stuff happening in a show somewhere but it should be conducted in a safe way. I was at an event a month or so ago where Dave Rayne & Babyface Pitbull decided to brawl out around the bar, glasses went flying and people at the bar were barged out of the way, it was very dangerous but exactly what I would expect from 2 workers of limited ability who needed to fill 20 minutes in a main event match. I don't think I saw anything too over the top at southside at the weekend but your point about them caring about their fans really rings through, thank you for sharing your experiences.

As a promoter myself I'd like to think I'm as aware as anyone of the potential pitfalls of taking the action too close to to the crowd. I wouldnt allow anyone on my roster to do crowd brawling unless i was 100% confident in their ability to control the action.

As a performer I have been working a number of Main Event matches over the last few years and i regularly incorporate brawling in to these matches. Not as a "way of filling 20 minutes" but because Brawls were a major part of the main events i grew up enjoying and i feel taking the action closer to the fans can add to the feel of seeing something "more" from a main event. In the over 8 years that i've been performing on events nothing i have ever done in or out of the crowd has hurt a spectator.

The "flying glasses" were to my memory ONE bottle of beer that was knocked over as i fell into a table of wrestlers who weren't on the show a fall i did on purpose to largely be a bit of a dick to the lads, the bottle getting knocked wasn't the intent but i've seen bigger spills happen from someone getting up to head to the toilet.

You're welcome to your opinion of my limited ability (hell even superman has limits to his abilities) but i feel the claim that this match or any i've ever performed in has been unsafe is entirely unfounded. Infact general opinion from the droves of kids at ringside seems to be that it was "ace" or at least thats what they told me as they offered to carry ring mats to the van for me after the event.

As a side note i did chip a tooth during this match (a pretty ominous sign of events to come) but this was from actions taken in the safety of the ring.

Referencing other comments on the thread about incidents at wrestling shows all i can say is accidents happen. Ive also seen people get smacked in the face with balls at football matches and one guy get kicked in the head at a boxing event when two fighters got tangled and spilled over the ropes.

And to acknowledge the original post i've always found Ben at Southside to be a promoter who genuinely believes in good customer service and in delivering a great experience for his fans. Just like myself and many other promoters such as NGW, PCW, GPW, XWA and many more. It's my opinion that currently on the Uk scene we're blessed that "Genuine" promoters are not the exception to the rule anymore.

But if it was a real fight why would a wrestler give a shit about a fan

It's not a real fight though, you idiotic fool.

Then why are you little pussys bothered about getting hit. Grow a set of balls and stop being a bunch of retarded cocksuckers. A wrestler hits you twat him or her back. Be a fucking man

• Paid Members

Then why are you little pussys bothered about getting hit. Grow a set of balls and stop being a bunch of retarded cocksuckers. A wrestler hits you twat him or her back. Be a fucking man

I'm sure that'll go well. Only a 95% chance of an all-out brawl breaking out then. You pillock.

So by your logic going to a wrestling show in a club venue setting you should man up and expect to be hit? You go to wrestling shows to spectate not to be physically involved. It's also moronic to suggest a wrestler would hit a fan in purpose without provocation for that wrestler to lose their cool and act in an unprofessional manner and put their hands on a paying customer.

Archived