2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dreadful error by Langfield today, Celtic were shite and he gifted them the points.

We were flat and leggy, but come on. We were much better than Aberdeen. They didn't even have an attempt on target.

Don't get me wrong. You were much better than Aberdeen, but your team is lacking in any sort of cutting edge. It was a dreadful performance in how Celtic should be playing. Bringing on Daryl Murphy when Celtic were searching for a goal was rather desperate also. Surely he's not part of Neil Lennon's plans? They need to get into some form quickly as they'll be facing much tougher opposition in the next round of Europe, if they do in fact get past HJK.

I agree with what you're saying. Another striker is an absolute necessity. Hooper has been feeding off scraps as of late and doesn't get the service he needs. He's constantly having to drop deep to get involved or to collect the ball. In this respect he's kind of blameless, because he's still doing the best with what he has around him. The same can't be said for Stokes, who has acquired a habit of breaking up our own attacks since the turn of the year. I'm not his biggest fan but he's acceptable to have around in the squad - I'd rather he was replaced in all honesty. Commons is probably our most potent attacking threat. Ever since his arrival he has demonstrated that even when he's having a bad game, he is always in demand of the ball and trying to create something for himself or someone else. Murphy is a lump of wood. I can't believe he features in our plans. He was a terrible signing from the off. The same can be said for Bangura.

Samaras has adjusted well to his role out wide left and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet now. I don't think anyone considers him as a striker anymore. I still think he is an option as a lone striker in Europe but that is if we're short for whatever reason. He needs to stay out on the left. I don't know whose lunch Paddy McCourt has shit in, to be honest. He's the victim of becoming a cult figure in the stands ("don't sell McCourt...") and also being seriously under-rated by not only our management but our own supporters. Today was another example of a time when he came on and changed the game for us.

All in all, I think our squad is mostly prepared for the upcoming season (and hopefully Europe). The HJK game is absolutely must win on Wednesday because advancing to the next round would guarantee entry into the group stages of the Europa League as an absolute minimum. Obviously we're desperate for Champions League football but it's imperative we're in some kind of European competition. I think we have enough but we can't just rest on our laurels with this squad. I'd say I'm fairly happy with the squad but we are in desperate need of another centre half and a new attacker.

Not it wasn't the count from the turnstiles computer was 41,525. Trust me.

Why are Celtic, Sky and the BBC reporting it as 48,251 then?

Not a clue. Clubs often add more to their attendances from what the real count is when they report it to the media.

No they don't, if anything clubs downplay the attendance at their games in order to shave a little bit off their tax. For example, Fir Park holds 13,742. Our European game attendance last week was announced at under 10,000. Even with some of the seats in the main being unavailable for use there is no way that we had almost 4,000 empty seats in that stadium. The club had stopped selling tickets for the Cooper, east & O'Donnell stands, and had sold out the bottom half of the south stand and just over half of the top of it.

There was no way we had 4,000 empty seats in the stadium that night.

Anyway, as for attendance at the weekend our game against Ross County drew 4,828, which isn't bad considering the capacity is 6,300.

Crowds are always like that first game of the season. Come back to me in December.

Baz, your eagerness to see the SPL clubs fall on their arse without your beloved Rangers is getting a bit silly now. We're going to survive without you lot. The television deal will see my club lose somewhere in the region of

No they don't, if anything clubs downplay the attendance at their games in order to shave a little bit off their tax.

Trust me, Celtic were adding season ticket holders to there attendance all last season. We had an average attendance of over 50,000 going by reports but really from going to all the games it was lower than that. A lot of clubs add to there attendance, Rangers done it throughout last season as well.

A lot of clubs add to there attendance, Rangers done it throughout last season as well.

No wonder. I find it a bit hard to comprehend why Rangers fans are obsessing over attendance figures when they posted a crowd of 28,000 at the Champions League qualifier against Malmo last season.

By obsessing I'm not talking about Dingbat or Dazz (though I imagine the question was raised after reading about it). I'm talking about the near on dozen Rangers fans I've seen pouring over facts and figures on Facebook.

No they don't, if anything clubs downplay the attendance at their games in order to shave a little bit off their tax.

Trust me, Celtic were adding season ticket holders to there attendance all last season. We had an average attendance of over 50,000 going by reports but really from going to all the games it was lower than that. A lot of clubs add to there attendance, Rangers done it throughout last season as well.

It may be different when it comes to season ticket holders I guess. I know that we downplay the amount of paying punters at the gate.

A lot of clubs add to there attendance, Rangers done it throughout last season as well.

No wonder. I find it a bit hard to comprehend why Rangers fans are obsessing over attendance figures when they posted a crowd of 28,000 at the Champions League qualifier against Malmo last season.

By obsessing I'm not talking about Dingbat or Dazz (though I imagine the question was raised after reading about it). I'm talking about the near on dozen Rangers fans I've seen pouring over facts and figures on Facebook.

In the time's I've been privy to the different attendance figures from what are published, I just find it quite interesting really. Most clubs do it from what I've seen. Some really amusingly as well. I think as someone said earlier, it could be for tax reasons or something.

Anyway, seeing mixed reports on our attendance on Tuesday night, some saying that 35k Season tickets have been sold, some saying that 20k individual tickets have been sold. The club deck isn't open, so I'd be erring on the side of the 20k. Think we'll pull in about 25-30k people, which wouldn't be bad for a mid-week tuesday game, but I really would want better from our supporters.

(Saying that I've not got a ticket for the game, but I will be there).

Celtic (and I assume Rangers) count all paid season tickets in the attendance figures regardless of whether the holder turns up for the game or not.

Crowds are always like that first game of the season. Come back to me in December.

Hearts and Kilmarnock were both higher than their first home game of last season. St Mirren were down on last year.

Ross County were way up but thats not a fair comparison. They did exceed Dunfermline's attendance last year though.

EDIT - Dundee Utd up over 1,000 on last years opening day.

Aye, sometimes its "Paid" attendance that goes into the papers, but the "actual" attendance is slightly different. We take our crowd figure from the turnstile computer, that we then use when preparing our reports.

Decent debate on Pie and Bovril about Killie's rigging of attendance figures. 1800 Dees my arse, our Chairman in the police control room was told 2780, which going by the photos of us is more realistic. Great atmosphere yesterday, everybody doing the Hey Jude was brilliant and brought back many great memories.

If Killie are supposed to be a mid to upper table side, then we've got nothing to worry about once we get another couple of bodies in to fill out the squad. United looked good today, but a largely suspect it is slightly down to how shite Hibs are more than anything else.

All in all, a good day, missing next week at Dens, but the Derby will be rocking!

Archived