2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members
Not that I want him to be given the boot, but can McCoist even be sacked? Just looking at how many shares he has in Sevco. Is it even possible, or does he have a job for life?

He only owns 4.5% of the Club doesn't he? If the rest of the shareholders want him gone then that won't be enough to save him.

I've been working night shift so I've seen fuck all this season but I have to say McCoist's comments to the press and transfer targets don't fill me with confidence. He seems to be under the impression that he can fix the problems by throwing money about and bringing in "quality" players. He'd be much better off going for SFL quality players who'll work their arses off regardless of where they are playing.

I don't see him getting the sack though. McCoist being manager creates a sense of continuity between the old company and the new one which is really important at this stage of the new club's existence.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Allan McGregor (Besiktas), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Daniel Fox (Southampton), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Matt Phillips (Blackpool), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)

Forwards: Ross McCormack (Leeds United), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

Well McGregor's mystery injury seems to have worn off. No Kris Commons which I sort of get despite FUM's protests, but more surprisingly for me is that Scott Brown has been left out. I assumed he was injured but he played the full 90mins against Helsingborgs, so why is he being left out? I'd have him in ahead of Cowie or Dorrans.

Most worrying about that for me, too, is that it suggests to me that he'll play Gary Caldwell in the sitting defensive midfielder role. Still, at least it's not Ian Black.

Why wouldn't they? Celtic would be lucky if they got 1 point out of that group. Hope they do well though. We need them to do well.

I'd kill for a Celtic - Barca ticket.

Honestly that's nonsense. Its not the easiest group but Celtic are more than capable of taking points from Benfica and Spartak. Spartak, for example, finished 2nd last year in Russia but lost 11 league games in doing so. They won like 22 out of 40 odd games in the league, not really formidable form is it? The gulf between Celtic and these two teams is much smaller than the Hearts/Liverpool one and yet look how close that was. I think we'll finish 3rd behind Barca/Benfica.

Why wouldn't they? Celtic would be lucky if they got 1 point out of that group. Hope they do well though. We need them to do well.

I'd kill for a Celtic - Barca ticket.

Why wouldn't they? Really? The Rangers who are getting Forres Mechanic in draws, laughing because Celtic are getting Barcelona?

On another note, I'm in Manchester the weekend before Barcelona and managed to get a return flight from there for

Saying Celtic would be lucky to get a point is just pathetic really. As I said elsewhere, I'm not sure on their chances of making even the EL from that group. Benfica and Spartak are better sides than people seem to be giving credit for here, but they're going to get something from games. That much is clear.

Scotland v Serbia injury update. Out: Charlie Mulgrew (Achilles). In: Ricky Foster (Bristol City). Charlie will be assessed on Sunday with a view to Tuesday's match against FYR Macedonia.

FUCK. So we're essentially left without any of the FOUR quality left backs we have (Bardsley, Fox, Mulgrew and Wallace) and instead I'd fully expect to see Paul Dixon playing there on Saturday. Additionally, Russell Martin withdrew earlier in the week which is twice as annoying when one considers that he could quite conceivably have started in preference to Alan bloody Hutton. The only glimmer of good news is that Christophe Berra's partner has given birth to his first daughter, meaning he's joined up with the squad now.

So it comes to be somewhat unsurprising that, at a time when we actually have strength in depth in both the midfield and the forward line, our defence gets decimated by injury. I was relatively confident about Saturday and was fully expecting to get at least a result, if not take it on and win. Now though...

:(

• Paid Members
Scotland v Serbia injury update. Out: Charlie Mulgrew (Achilles). In: Ricky Foster (Bristol City). Charlie will be assessed on Sunday with a view to Tuesday's match against FYR Macedonia.

Ricky Foster? :duh:

Did Kevin Mcnaughton die and I happened to miss it?

• Paid Members

Ricky Foster? :duh:

Did Kevin Mcnaughton die and I happened to miss it?

Even more ammo for your anti-scotland views. I wish I never spent that

Archived