The future of Jushin Liger

diamond_dust

After watching a couple of NJPW & CMLL shows from earlier this year I started thinking that it's not just the mask that stops you from realising just how old Keiichi Yamada is these days. Obviously the mask stops you from seeing the physical signs of aging on his face but in the ring you would never guess that the man putting on these quality matches in only a couple of years short of 50 and doesn't seem to show any signs of needing to retire any time soon, but the fact is he wont be around for ever so when Yamada does retire does Liger retire too?

Personally I've never been a huge fan of replacing masked characters. I always felt it was disrespectful to the originals who made the character more than honouring them but in Japan and Mexico obviously its common practice with Tiger Mask, La Parka, Psicosis and now Mistico being some of the most famous names to be played by multiple people. So do people think that Yamada should go down in history as the only man to have the iconic gimmick or would you like to see the gimmick live on with somone else under the mask and who would you put there?

There is another Pyschosis? As in the guy who was in WCW?

I do love Lyger, and I'd like to see it continue in a different form maybe. This one should retire with him but they could easily have another guy called Lyger who wears a similar get up and has the approval of Jushin.

• Paid Members

Yep. When the original Psicosis left AAA to go to WCW full-time in 1997 (eventually losing his mask, then going on to ECW, WWA, NWA-TNA and WWE), AAA introduced a new Psicosis who has been playing the role ever since and still has the mask. "New" Psicosis (I say it like that since this version has actually now performed much longer in the role than the original ever did in Mexico) went on to be a member of AAA's one-time lead heel group Los Vipers and has jumped to CMLL in recent years as part of Los Invasores ("the invaders"). Still has the mask:

Psicosis-II.jpg

When original unmasked Psicosis returned to Mexico between his WCW and WWE runs, then again after he finished up in WWE, he was known as Nicho el Millonario:

Nicho_el_Millonario-wrestling.jpg

He even feuded with the new Psicosis over the rights to the gimmick in AAA, with a cage match at TripleMania 2005. To make matters even more confusing, though, what with the 2nd Psicosis now in CMLL, Nicho has recently readopted the Psicosis gimmick in AAA to feud with former partner Joe Lider (the story goes that Lider burned Nicho's face with a fireball, so he went back under the hood).

Yep. When the original Psicosis left AAA to go to WCW full-time in 1997 (eventually losing his mask, then going on to ECW, WWA, NWA-TNA and WWE), AAA introduced a new Psicosis who has been playing the role ever since and still has the mask. "New" Psicosis (I say it like that since this version has actually now performed much longer in the role than the original ever did in Mexico) went on to be a member of AAA's one-time lead heel group Los Vipers and has jumped to CMLL in recent years as part of Los Invasores ("the invaders"). Still has the mask:

When original unmasked Psicosis returned to Mexico between his WCW and WWE runs, then again after he finished up in WWE, he was known as Nicho el Millonario:

He even feuded with the new Psicosis over the rights to the gimmick in AAA, with a cage match at TripleMania 2005. To make matters even more confusing, though, what with the 2nd Psicosis now in CMLL, Nicho has recently readopted the Psicosis gimmick in AAA to feud with former partner Joe Lider (the story goes that Lider burned Nicho's face with a fireball, so he went back under the hood).

There was another one in AAA few years ago too, Psicosis III . He used to work AAA openers as Toxico. His mask with built in gas mask was pretty cool.

The 'new' Psicosis also has way better gear than the original's now sporting. In fact he's probably just better in general than the original at the moment.

I'd imagine Yamada would be okay with someone else taking the mask wouldn't he? I figure he knows that it's how these things work. I do think it would go better if it was a situation where Yamada had picked or at least okayed his successor. I also think that just because Yamada has made his legacy with the character it doesn't mean that somebody else couldn't make it their own. I'd argue that's the situation with Psicosis. Although it probably won't be the case with the new Mistico.

I always have a fine line with these things, if they acknowledge the changing of the guard such as Tiger Mask 2,3,4 etc then I like it as it becomes an honor to wear the mask. However if it's just a do over of someone who was popular ala the new mistico then it waters down the gimmick.

As Liger has been around as the same man for more than 20 years now I believe I would prefer the gimmick is retired with him. In terms of what else can he do I suppose with his style and limiting his schedule as he needs to Liger could go another 5-6 years at least. At which point Iwould like to see him do a world wide retirement tour with a Tokyo Dome show and ideally a shot/ short reign with the Jnr Heavyweight belt in there dropping it to an up and comer would be ideal to finish his career on

I always have a fine line with these things, if they acknowledge the changing of the guard such as Tiger Mask 2,3,4 etc then I like it as it becomes an honor to wear the mask. However if it's just a do over of someone who was popular ala the new mistico then it waters down the gimmick.

As Liger has been around as the same man for more than 20 years now I believe I would prefer the gimmick is retired with him. In terms of what else can he do I suppose with his style and limiting his schedule as he needs to Liger could go another 5-6 years at least. At which point Iwould like to see him do a world wide retirement tour with a Tokyo Dome show and ideally a shot/ short reign with the Jnr Heavyweight belt in there dropping it to an up and comer would be ideal to finish his career on

After more than 20 years with the gimmick, the gimmick should retire when Yamada feels enough is enough. That said, Yamada still looks to be in great shape and has adjusted his style over the years.

• Paid Members

The idea of someone else putting on the mask, stepping into the ring and becoming Jushin Liger now seems ridiculous and unless they were instantly awesome, I imagine would be pissed on violently. Worse than Super Liger.

At which point Iwould like to see him do a world wide retirement tour with a Tokyo Dome show and ideally a shot/ short reign with the Jnr Heavyweight belt in there dropping it to an up and comer would be ideal to finish his career on

Hi Fin! ;)

The idea of someone else putting on the mask, stepping into the ring and becoming Jushin Liger now seems ridiculous and unless they were instantly awesome, I imagine would be pissed on violently. Worse than Super Liger.

At which point Iwould like to see him do a world wide retirement tour with a Tokyo Dome show and ideally a shot/ short reign with the Jnr Heavyweight belt in there dropping it to an up and comer would be ideal to finish his career on

Hi Fin! ;)

Ha Ha, funnily enough i'm sure after I wrote that I read in an old Powerslam from 2009ish where he had said something along the same lines. One of the few times I actually agree with him.

Would you want the pressure of being the new Liger? Whoever they gave the gimmick to would have to be fucking incredible... and if they're that good why would they want to risk fucking their career by flopping as Yamada's replacement?

• Paid Members

Hi Fin! ;)

Ha Ha, funnily enough i'm sure after I wrote that I read in an old Powerslam from 2009ish where he had said something along the same lines. One of the few times I actually agree with him.

He said it again this month.

Would you want the pressure of being the new Liger? Whoever they gave the gimmick to would have to be fucking incredible... and if they're that good why would they want to risk fucking their career by flopping as Yamada's replacement?

Yes yes. I'm sure there are plenty thinking "Well, Tiger Mask was some big boots to fill too." Sure, except none of the men that were portrayed as Tiger Mask had a run much longer than five years or so, never mind 22.

Archived