UFC on FOX 4: 'Shogun vs Vera'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Bit disappointed if he does drop down because I really think he's got the best chance against Jones of the current crop.

Tonight's the night then. Really looking forward to the 4 main card fights. Interested to see how Phil Davis rebounds from his first loss as well.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit disappointed if he does drop down because I really think he's got the best chance against Jones of the current crop.

Tonight's the night then. Really looking forward to the 4 main card fights. Interested to see how Phil Davis rebounds from his first loss as well.

What about that Swedish guy Gustaffson, He looks promising.

If Lyoto gets dominated tonight I believe Dana will ask him to drop to 185lbs but he would never want to fight Anderson. Its a bit shocking that he walks around at 210lbs most middleweights walk around heavier than that even Benson Henderson said he walks around near 200lbs so does Gray Maynard. If he wanted I bet he could make 170lbs if he really wanted but would be a massive drain.

• Paid Members

Yeah Gustafsson looks good but the jury's kind of out on him for me. I really like him but until he fights one of the top 5 it's hard to talk about him in the title mix.

Dana did say the other day though that Gustafsson is 'on tap for a big fight'. My guess is he'll get the other winner of tonight's two fights. One winner tonight gets a title shot, the other gets Gustafsson. That's my thinking.

There's an article up on MMAJunkie with quotes from Dana saying he thinks Forrest Griffin and Matt Hughes should retire now. I agree Jim, that the first Griffin/Bonnar is a bit overrated. I still love it but 'Best UFC fight eva' it is not. There's a good handful in the last year alone I'd rank higher.

I don't think I've seen it touted as the best UFC bout ever all that much. Usually it gets touted as the most important fight in UFC history, does it not?

Any idea when the Facebook/UFC.tv prelims start, it says it starts at 10pm? Does it normally start on time?

That should be right as the main card starts at 1am

Cheers Mackie really looking forward to this one. Do they still have a few fights on facebook then ufc.tv or are they all on ufc.tv now?

There's an article up on MMAJunkie with quotes from Dana saying he thinks Forrest Griffin and Matt Hughes should retire now. I agree Jim, that the first Griffin/Bonnar is a bit overrated. I still love it but 'Best UFC fight eva' it is not. There's a good handful in the last year alone I'd rank higher.

I don't think I've seen it touted as the best UFC bout ever all that much. Usually it gets touted as the most important fight in UFC history, does it not?

It got voted the best in a poll before UFC 100 and a show on Spike that counted down to it winning was released on DVD.

Here it is - http://www.amazon.co.uk/UFC-Ultimate-Great...7449&sr=8-2

It was very important no doubt. It showed UFC could draw serious ratings and was key to them getting a second series of TUF and a long term contract with Spike that they used to grow the product into the powerhouse it is today.

However, I would say Liddel vs Couture 2/3 and Tito vs Liddel 2, are overlooked as they helped grow the PPV numbers and brought them to a entirely new level.

For example, Liddel and Couture drew 250k, I huge number for the time as they were used to getting about half of that. From there, Liddel vs Couture 3 scored 500k which pushed the mark again, Ortiz vs Liddel raised the bar higher by breaking the Million barrier. The growth of their PPV machine was just as key as the growth of their TV deal. From a market of around 150k to a market of a million in the space of 2 years is serious growth.

These fights proved their was a audience willing to pay to see UFC, and not just watch it for free on Spike. Griffin and Bonnar helped get the promotion these fights needed to draw those big numbers, so all these fights played their part.

Put it this way, if Forrest and Bonnar would have not happened and TUF had not been renewed or put in a crap timeslot for the smash hit third series, the PPV market would have stalled. Also, if the UFC did not have Liddel, Couture, Shamrock and Ortiz to hook the TUF viewers into buying events, it would have not grown either.

Its still overated though, no matter how important it was. I felt for example Lil Nog vs Shogun in Pride was not far off it that year, Shogun vs Hendo is better than it by a mile as well. I felt it was just a sloppy brawl at times and not as dramatic as other fights, no knockdowns or close submissions or anything. I can see its appeal though, it was very easy for a non-fan to turn on and appreciate instantly.

If you are wondering why the UFC is now charging for prelims this keeps appearing on the UFC twitter

testing a new pricing structure in UK/Ireland - send feedback to info@ufc.com

Charging for the main card i can understand but prelims is just ridiculous

Archived