UFC on FOX 4: 'Shogun vs Vera'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really ESPN's fault - they showed the full thing, but the broadcast ran long. People should always record the show after, just incase.

Agree, most live shows on American TV (UFC/RAW) overrun, I always record the next couple of programs afterwards due to this.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great show, only watched the Main Card so will cover that.

Swick

Nice little comeback and not a dull moment in this fight, Swick looked like he has not lost a step. Johnson had him in trouble in the first taking his back but the calmness he used to weather the storm and comeback in the second to win was exceptional. Great Opener

Varner vs Lauzon

What a war! One of the best fights of the year, for once Lauzon peaked late instead of fading. It was even going into the last round, there was again no dull moments as both came to fight. Even though he lost Varner looked decent again, Lauzon has upped his stock also. Just a great back and forth war.

Machida

A vintage performance, the first round whilst uneventful served its purpose, it made Bader frustrated the longer it went the more he showed this and allowed Machida to counter. The knockout was done with such lightning quickness it was insane.

Shogun vs Vera

This was Vera's best performance in 6 years! In defeat he did more than any of his wins in recent years. Shogun showed his wrestling that he used so well in Pride and landed the harder shots. Vera however landed the crisper combinations and looked fresher by the end of the second despite being 2 rounds down.

Vera would land some good shots but with Shoguns iron jaw, it was hard for him to rock Shogun. Shogun would land some basic but effective power shots that would eventually knockout Vera, that and those brutal knees and clinch work helped Shogun over the line. I was impressed with how after the second despite being gassed Shogun conserved his energy and still won every round. A cracking fight that gave the public somewhere close to the classic that was Hendo vs Shogun. Vera ensured he would not be cut also, Dana was glowing about him with Rogan afterwards and rightfully so.

Overall

That was one of the best shows UFC has produced, the main card did not have a bad fight, some great knockouts, finishes and back and forth action. I hope as MOM says that the Main Event ratings grew as it unfolded with the "check this shit out" factor that helped Forrest vs Bonnar many moons ago.

As for the title shot, well Machida beat the better fighter and for my money is the best LHW other than Jones in the world, but I had my heart set on Machida at 185lbs. Plus despite his first round with Jones, I am cynical about his chances a second time. Jones I do not see losing for at least another 2 years. I know Anderson is the king who he would not fight, but with Silva retiring he may have the divison at his feet in a year or so.

For someone as talented as Lyoto, playing 2nd fiddle at any weightclass is tough pill to swallow, he is for me one of the great of this generation.

For someone as talented as Lyoto, playing 2nd fiddle at any weightclass is tough pill to swallow, he is for me one of the great of this generation.

Same with the Middleweight Division with Chael Sonnen he surely is No. 2 or Heavyweight with Cain he is surely the No.2.

Still what a fantastic show top to bottom

Same with the Middleweight Division with Chael Sonnen he surely is No. 2 or Heavyweight with Cain he is surely the No.2.

It is not yet set in stone that Cain will not be able to beat JDS, again in fact in a rematch I am not sure he would win, yes this is MMA and anything can happen but it does seem that Jones is a cut above everyone else at 205lbs. I really like Machida and Wandshogun09 who knows his shit mentions above he gives him a chance, but I disagree. Plus, Cain can still have the option of dropping to 205lbs and see if he is the best there, Machida if he drops may have to play 2nd fiddle to Anderson due to their friendship.

Chael you have a point with, it does seem that Anderson may have his number and it is unlikely they will fight with each other again. Chael though as well could move to 205lbs and see if he is the best there.

In short there are avenues for the two you mentioned to go with for potentially the chance to be number 1, with Machida there is not at the moment as I believe so much in Jones and his dominance.

I would love Cain to drop to 205lb he could do it, if he does face JDS and comes up short then a drop to 205lbs would be a wise option and he I feel Cain could take Jones with ease IF he has a successful weight cut, it does mean him dropping 35lbs in weight but if Benson Henderson can do it from 200lbs to 155lb then Cain could.

• Paid Members
I really like Machida and Wandshogun09 who knows his shit mentions above he gives him a chance, but I disagree.

I do know my shit and right now it's hot and slightly runny, and dark. Must have been the takeaway last night.

Seriously though, I don't really know anything I'm just guessing like the rest of yous really. Sometimes I'm right and a lot of times I'm way off.

On Jones/Machida, I wouldn't give Machida a great chance but I give him a better shot than anyone else at 205 currently. He was doing well early last time but it went tits up when he got taken down/cut with the elbow. But he's the one I'd give the best chance of finding a hole in Jones' game. If there's a mistake Jones makes then I reckon Machida is the most likely to exploit it.

Really though, I'd most likely pick Jones again. It's just hard to see him losing anytime soon. I'm starting to think the guys to beat him aren't at 205. A move to heavyweight in the future will be very interesting.

• Paid Members

An absolute triumph of a show. Everything went brilliantly last night, those video packages were fantastic at building up characters, the fights themselves all delivered, both Randy and Stann seemed comfortable in their roles as analysts and Mike Swick's victory made for a proper feel good story. I really hope this show does better in the ratings than I'm expecting because it was the perfect show in terms of showcasing what the UFC is about.

• Paid Members

MMA is a weird beast...all week we've been reading shit online about 'over-saturation', 'poor matchmaking' etc. coming off the back of a bad show. Now this week the thing delivers top to bottom and everyone loves the sport again. People need to realise MMA is a sport and it's not realistic to think every show's gonna be a home run. Anyway's, onto the fights...

* Machida definitly deserves the shot. Just an unbelievable performance. There wasn't a great deal of action but that was a like a predator playing with it's prey. Bader basically stood no chance, the guy's at best an average boxer and for him to even attempt to strike with Machida was just suicide. Bader's got faith in that right hand but he didn't come close to landing it, Machida is too good at establishing range and making people fight his fight. The ending was basically Bader getting frustrated and lunging in. Exactly what Machida wanted, he set a trap and Bader walked right into it. Goodnight Irene.

* Shogun/Vera was an absolute war, but if we're talking putting either guy against Jon Jones? no fucking chance. The Shogun that fought Saturday night would get eaten alive by Jones. Shogun's got all the heart in the world but he just seems lethargic in the cage these days, he's still dangerous as hell but he seems slow and his gas tank runs out quickly, he continues fighting through sheer will but if he fought like that against Jones, he'd get fucked up. Entertaining fight though!

* Lauzon/Varner was an awesome fight. Perfect for Fox, as this pretty much showcased MMA in it's entire form, the fight had everything and it was fought at a blistering pace, great. Varner's UFC return has been a triumph despite the loss. Lauzon seems to have his gas in order too which is a great sign. I think we'll see Lauzon/Varner II down the road.

* Mike fucking Swick!! fair play he looked great. Sharp as hell standing, he did well to survive Johnson's ground assault in round 1 but Swick showed little ring rust in the standup, great performance and a brilliant finish.

* Prelims were a decent set apart from the unfortunate Davis/Prado fight...what the hell is a doctor doing talking to a non-English speaking Brazilian in English? where was the fucking translator? the eye did look bad though.

Quick note on the broadcast...fantastic! Fox is tweaking it and they got it near perfect for me last night. The mini video packages before each fight were excellent. They clearly wanna push the 'tell a story' aspect of the sport and i love that. Great work.

• Paid Members

Yeah Shogun hasn't been right for years. I just think there's been so many setbacks and injuries with him that he can no longer train like he needs to/used to.

I've said this a few times but I really don't see Shogun fighting too much longer. Two or three more years tops I reckon. He's just too banged up. It's amazing he's still doing as well as he is given the shape he's in these days. So every fight's a bonus with Shogun for me.

As for him fighting Jones again, yeah he'd get wrecked again but really who wouldn't? We're all hyping up Machida just for winning a round off Jones. One fucking round. That's how good Jones is. Pretty much all Jones' challengers don't have much of a shot imo, but you've still gotta give them the shot or Jones has no-one to fight. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised to see Shogun get another shot with one or two more solid wins. You've gotta give them the shot if they earn it, even if they have pretty much no hope of winning.

Strange situation at 205.

• Paid Members

i think it's more that Machida seemed to have some idea on how to defeat Jones. He's basically gotta do what he did in round one against Jones for 5! it's a big ask and in the first fight you always sensed that it was gonna be over as soon as Jones got his hands on him and that was the case. I do wanna see the rematch.

I'd have no real interest in seeing a Shogun/Jones II, it would be a massacre. Shogun's someone that is gonna have to be saved for himself. His brother was the same, just insane levels of guts and unbelievable fighting spirit...Shogun in some ways unfortunately has been blessed with a better chin that his brother though and it means he takes some crazy punishment. I think we're gonna see a Chuck Liddell type meltdown at some point though where the punch resistance just disappears.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think you're right. Shogun's chin won't hold up forever, especially if he keeps getting into these long, gruelling wars. I hope he doesn't get to that point his brother has but like you say, having a great chin could actually wind up doing him more harm than good in the long run.

I think he will end up having to be saved from himself unfortunately. He's got too much pride. Although I thought Wand would be the same but he's seemed to be kind of warming to the idea of retiring recently.

I'm defo more interested in Machida vs Jones 2 than Shogun vs Jones 2. I like his chances better. Wasn't there rumours before UFC 140 that Machida was ill? Maybe he could do even better next time?

• Paid Members

yeh i think there were illness rumors.

Not really an important point but has anyone noticed Bruce Buffer making tons of mistakes recently? he's making a couple every show these days. Ol' Brucey is slipping.

Archived