UFC on FOX 4: 'Shogun vs Vera'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would like to see Machida vs Shogun 3 at some point.

I can agree actually, as Shogun is not a better option than the winner of Bader or Machida. I think the winner of Bader vs Machida should get the title shot, they have picked the wrong fight. Good thinking getting a number 1 contender fight on FOX where the most people can see the next 205lbs PPV challenger though, that may help sell the PPV's and if it is Vera they are going to need all the help they can get even if he is a good talker.

If you would have told me Jones vs Vera 2 could realistically happen even 2 months ago, I would have laughed in your face.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it's abit of a head scratcher.

The Light Heavyweight division is in that kind of position the Middleweights were in when Thales Leites & Patrick Cote got shots. Jones has cleaned all viable challengers so the UFC is clutching at straws. Neither guy deserve a shot on the runs their on, and Jones beat them so easily first time around it's gonna be a tough sell for either man.

The winner of Bader/Machida might be a slightly better pick but only slightly, at least Machida gave Jones abit of a fight...Bader was decimated but he's rebounded well, and has the best scalp in recent outings (Rampage).

The one glaring omission in all of this is of course Alexander Gustaffson but i think the UFC wanna mould him for a shot later in the year.

I can't really understand the thinking in announcing this now before the fights play out on Saturday. It feels like a bit of a marketing ploy to make it all abit more interesting...the reaction has been extremely negative though. It's a mess.

It's doesn't make me any less interesting in seeing the fights Saturday night though :)

I feel like I'm having MMA withdrawals. I'm choosing to act as if UFC 149 never happened.

Shogun vs Vera being a no. 1 contender fight is ludicrous. Hopefully it's not 100% official and Dana's just talking shite. I like the original idea of letting the 4 light heavyweights fight, and whoever looked the most impressive when the smoke cleared got the next title shot.

I really want Hendo to win now realising how barren the LHW division appears. If Jones loses everything looks stacked again. Shogun vs Hendo II, Machida vs Hendo, even Bader vs Hendo could be kinda fun. Nothing involving Brandon Vera looks good, nothing. The guy's a non-entity. I just hope his fight is decent, he's had some substandard fights lately (not taking into account wins/losses, they've just been average fights). I want either a competitive striking fight or Shogun to smash through him in the 1st.

• Paid Members
Shogun vs Vera being a no. 1 contender fight is ludicrous. Hopefully it's not 100% official and Dana's just talking shite. I like the original idea of letting the 4 light heavyweights fight, and whoever looked the most impressive when the smoke cleared got the next title shot.

yeh that's how i kind of feel about it, but even then it's not really right.

I'm having withdrawals too :laugh: sometimes i feel like im overwhelmed by all the fights but taking one week off and im f'n itching for some more fights. Roll on Sunday!!

I am going to stick my neck and predict Jones vs Machida 2 as the headliner for the year end show.

I just feel Bader matches up with Machida terribly, he does no posses the speed or variety in his striking to trouble Lyoto, his wrestling whilst good is not explosive enough to trouble either. Lyoto has a good chance of a TKO if he takes the odd chance and counters with aggression.

Shogun I see having the second best chance, he could look good by blitzing Vera early. There is more of a chance of a finish in this fight as well, and I believe Shogun has the best chance to produce it. I still think no matter what happens Vera should not get a shot, maybe if he beat a top contender afterwards but cherry picking Shogun after a unimpressive win over Elliot Marshall and a lot of defeats before that would make it very undeserved.

• Paid Members

why does everyone think the UFC is in such a rush to announce the no. 1 contender? you think it's purely to add intrigue to Saturday's fights?

It's a little unfair on Shogun/Vera that they have to contend their number 1 contender fight over 5 rounds whilst Bader/Machida get to do it over 3 as well.

why does everyone think the UFC is in such a rush to announce the no. 1 contender? you think it's purely to add intrigue to Saturday's fights?

Because they realise if Jones mows through Hendo like he has everyone else, all intrigue in the division is gone. The hype machine for 205 will have to go into overdrive to sell Jones' fights, it'll be like the Cote/Maia/Leites stretch at 185.

Plus it'll sell a lot better if any of the 4 have recent highlight reel material to promote a rematch, rather than just focusing on revenge for the previous ass-kicking.

Not that much, it's just making the best of a bad situation. If they waited til after Jones finished Hendo and then listed any of those 4, it would be met with apathy, whereas if one of them gets a violent finish on a big Fox card, the promotion can make it seem less apathetic.

But as I've said before, I want Hendo to pull off the win. So many good fights there then. I'm a Jon Jones fan, but he needs some fresh fights. I don't think Gustaffson is the guy yet. He's been impressive, but he needs a decent Fox/PPV win to expose him to the masses. Let's not forget Te Huna handled him early, think he needs another signature win/name on his resume before we're talking Jones.

• Paid Members

I agree. I only think people are that hot on Gustaffson at the moment is because the division is cleaned out. .

People are forgetting Phil Davis is fighting Saturday too, surely an emphatic win for him up there as well, despite the Evans loss.

• Paid Members

I actually think a big parr of the reason they're going on about contendership is to ensure they all really go for it Saturday.

Dana hasn't just said the winner gets a shot, he's deliberately and specifically thrown in the 'whoever wins most impressively' out of Shogun, Vera, Machida and Bader.

He knows they're all hearing this stuff and he's hoping it lights a fire under them and they go for the kill. Obviously they need a contender as well but I think the timing of Dana saying this stuff his him trying to prevent another UFC 149 and making sure the fighters really go for the finish.

Archived