The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Brennan Ward/Paul Daley is set for Bellator 170 (the same night as Sonnen/Ortiz), hell of a fight. Hisaki Kato and Ralek Gracie has also been announced for the show, random as fuck. That's shaping up to be a must-see show.

Yep definitely a good card.

Did anything come out about what happened with Daley after he pulled out of his last fight? I'm guessing it was weight cut but was there ever a reason given for the bad weight cut?

The thing is Daley is looks ridiculously small for 170llb division these days so he's up shit creek if he struggles to make that.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it was to do with the commission, this is what Daley posted on Facebook:

"From the horses mouth" the TRUTH.........Bad news, I won't be fighting tonight on Bellator 163. Although I OFFICIALLY MADE weight, Thursday at 171lbs, during rehydration we encountered a few issues.

However this morning we felt 100% and ready to fight, Having heard about the situation, the commission made an executive decision to withdraw my fight from the card, we tried to lobby against it to no success.

Apologise to all my fans and supporters. I will be back fighting on a HUGE card in January.

FOAMS

PD

• Paid Members

seen this video get shared on facebook

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Cole-Miller-My-Strained-Relationship-with-the-UFC-9843

(i'll have to link you to the Sherdog article, can't find it on youtube). Fuck me, Cole Miller isn't happy is he. I imagine the camera there has caught him at a real bad time, but Cole doesn't hold back.

• Paid Members

Never been a fan of Cole Miller but it's hard not to feel for the guy when you see how frustrated he is there. It's rare you see a fighter just be 100% brutally honest like that. He'll probably get shat on by a lot of fans because of his position on the card, he's not a draw so who is he to moan and stuff. But it's easy to see why he'd feel disrespected if it's how he says. Be interesting to see if they interview him if he wins his fight with Hirota. Probably not.

• Paid Members

Never been a fan of Cole Miller but it's hard not to feel for the guy when you see how frustrated he is there. It's rare you see a fighter just be 100% brutally honest like that. He'll probably get shat on by a lot of fans because of his position on the card, he's not a draw so who is he to moan and stuff. But it's easy to see why he'd feel disrespected if it's how he says. Be interesting to see if they interview him if he wins his fight with Hirota. Probably not.

I personally don't think he will Wand. His beef with the company has come from only being paid 1/3 of his show money after they cancelled the event. He's not complaining about the standing he's in. 

It really is a disgrace on the UFC's part not to pay each fighter their show money when the event cancellation wasn't down to the other fighters on the card.

As Miller said he took part in a 9 week training camp that costs a shit ton of cash and at the end of it had $500 to show for it and provide for his family.

• Paid Members

Dunno if this was posted on here previously, but Melvin Guillard has signed to fight for a Bare Knuckle promotion in the UK next year. Guillard is currently suspended for a year so he's taking bare knuckle fights to make ends meet. He's set to fight on January 28th.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/melvin-guillard-set-to-compete-in-uk-bare-knuckle-boxing-scene-while-serving-suspension

Personally, i don't see it happening but it's quite sad to see that Guillard needs to go down that route.

• Paid Members

Velasquez said during the MMAAA conference call last night that he's going to have to have surgery after the Werdum fight in a few weeks. He didn't say what the injury was or how serious it is, but that is hardly encouraging news for UFC seeing as Velasquez could be the no. 1 contender. Although Stipe won't mind a longer break.

• Paid Members

Where's JDS? He had a pretty encouraging performance in his win over Ben Rothwell in April, but I've heard absolutely fuck all about him fighting since.

If Cain beats Werdum and ends up taking time off to get surgery, I wouldn't be shocked to see JDS slip in there and get a title shot. Depending on how long Cain would be out, of course. I know JDS is only one fight removed from the Overeem loss but it's heavyweight so, you know. All logic is out the window. Plus Cain's only one fight removed from the Werdum loss so he's not in a much better place than JDS really. I reckon Stipe would jump at the opportunity to rematch JDS given how close the first one was.

Obviously, if Cain's only going to be out a short time I think you wait and do Miocic vs Velasquez. But Miocic vs JDS 2 ain't a bad backup plan if Cain's out longer.

• Paid Members

Did he? I like it. I think we could even see Miocic vs JDS 2 if Werdum goes 2-0 over Cain as well actually. With the manner in which Stipe took out Werdum the first time, I don't think many will be busting down doors to see that rematch. Not just yet anyway.

Depends on how Werdum vs Cain 2 goes in a few weeks I guess.

- If Cain wins at 207 I'd do Miocic vs Cain and JDS vs Werdum 2.

- If Werdum wins at 207 I'd do Miocic vs JDS 2.

- If Cain wins but takes time off for surgery I'd also do Miocic vs JDS 2.

Edit - while we're on about the heavies, I really want to see Barnett vs Overeem next as well.

• Paid Members

In news that will shock absolutely no-one, BJ Penn is still completely off his rocker. Just listened to an interview with him where he's still talking about becoming the first UFC triple crown champion. Now he's already held titles in two divisions (welterweight and lightweight) so he needs one more to make that particular piece of history. And he genuinely seems deluded enough that he thinks he's going to be winning the featherweight title one of these fine days. Crackers.

This fight with Penn and Yair Rodriguez is going to be so weird. It's going to feel like you're watching a video on a split screen with half of it in fast forward and the other in slow motion.

• Paid Members

That would indeed be how it would feel if it happens Wand, but I can't see it. Something is bound to happen with BJ between now and then. There's plenty of time for him to do something stupid. I think I'll only be able to believe it when he's actually standing in the cage.

• Paid Members

Honestly, who do we think Penn could beat of today's crop of featherweights? I think Ricardo Lamas would've battered him if that fight had gone ahead. I was about 60/40 in favour of Dennis Siver beating him. And even when he was scheduled to fight Cole Miller at UFC 199 I was seriously entertaining the possibility of Miller outworking him.

Now obviously he's massively declined. Let's take that as read. But are we maybe overstating how much slightly? Yes he looked fucking abysmal in his last fight. But how much of that was also down to the fact he was in there with Frankie Edgar? It wasn't all down to that, BJ's own performance (or non-performance in this case) was just baffling and depressing to watch. But I don't think there's many on the roster who would've been a worse style matchup for him at that point than Edgar either.

I'm confident Yair beats him. Definitely. But he can't look worse than he did against Frankie can he? Surely?

He really should be taking all these setbacks as a sign that this comeback just isn't meant to be. He's been scheduled for fights five times now in 2016. Five! The Siver fight was scheduled or at least tentatively pencilled in three times, then Cole Miller then Ricardo Lamas. They all fell through for one reason or another. He keeps getting injured as well. He's been having problems with his ribs most of the year and it sounds like it's kept recurring because he keeps jumping back in the gym for these ill advised comeback fights. I'm not a superstitious man but if I was BJ Penn I'd be starting to think something is trying to tell me to knock this idea on the head.

Archived