The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

At 155lbs he was decent, but he's not put together a winning run at the weight class since he beat Jim Miller over 4 years ago. To consider him a top five guy, ranked above other active lightweights who've been tearing it up is ridiculous.

The truth is, we don't know how he'd do at 155lbs against the top guys there now, do we? How would he fare against an Edson Barboza who'd leather fuck out of his legs? Or against a Will Brooks who's coming into his prime? Or even against  Michael Chiesa who's tall and has the reach to do damage?

It doesn't look as though Nate is ready to get back into the mix at 155lbs any time soon either, does it? He's going to spend the next few months sitting at home crying on Twitter probably.

Yep, and I do completely agree with you. As mentioned the rankings are pish as you stated, there's no disputing that. 

And you're completely right regarding questioning how he would do against up and coming talent. But, to answer your question, we actually don't know as it's never happened so we can't just dismiss his chances because he hasn't fought at 155llbs in a while. 

I do think you're over doing the inactivity of Nate in the division though. He fought at 155llbs only 10 months ago, and arguably looked the best he's ever looked. 

It would be a shame for him not to go back to actively fighting mind as it seems he only wants big fights now. Problem is, the only big fight he realistically has is against Mcgregor.  

Nate handily beat Michael Johnson less than a year ago. The same Johnson who holds recent wins over Barboza and Poirier,  I'd say he easily belongs in the same league as Barboza, Chiesa, and others

So, because he beat one guy in three years he belongs at the upper echelon of a division alongside guys who've been on regular winning streaks over that period? Nah, not for me I'm afraid.

He belongs in that league when he proves it, and he hasn't done nearly enough of late to suggest he belongs there.

At 155lbs he was decent, but he's not put together a winning run at the weight class since he beat Jim Miller over 4 years ago. To consider him a top five guy, ranked above other active lightweights who've been tearing it up is ridiculous.

The truth is, we don't know how he'd do at 155lbs against the top guys there now, do we? How would he fare against an Edson Barboza who'd leather fuck out of his legs? Or against a Will Brooks who's coming into his prime? Or even against  Michael Chiesa who's tall and has the reach to do damage?

It doesn't look as though Nate is ready to get back into the mix at 155lbs any time soon either, does it? He's going to spend the next few months sitting at home crying on Twitter probably.

Yep, and I do completely agree with you. As mentioned the rankings are pish as you stated, there's no disputing that. 

And you're completely right regarding questioning how he would do against up and coming talent. But, to answer your question, we actually don't know as it's never happened so we can't just dismiss his chances because he hasn't fought at 155llbs in a while. 

I do think you're over doing the inactivity of Nate in the division though. He fought at 155llbs only 10 months ago, and arguably looked the best he's ever looked. 

It would be a shame for him not to go back to actively fighting mind as it seems he only wants big fights now. Problem is, the only big fight he realistically has is against Mcgregor.  

I'm not overdoing anything, I'm simply saying that he's done fuck all to warrant being considered among the top talent in that weight class. He's beaten one relevant guy in three years, and has went 1-1 with a guy who's success has come mostly at 145lbs.

He's not top 5 and for the rankings to have him there is laughable. That's the point i was making when you said he was ranked number 4. 

He's made big money from the McGregor fights and is now making the mistake of thinking that those millions of people who bought the PPV done so because they wanted to see him. 

He was nothing more than the co-star in those fights. He was not the main attraction, so he'll not be getting "big money" to fight again unless it's a 3rd bout with McGregor. What he wants to be doing is trying to make the most of his "rub" and get back in there as soon as possible, as he'll likely be able to land a PPV co-main slot, or a FOX main.

The longer he sits back the less value he has, as he'll soon be yesterdays news once McGregor and Alvarez get into it properly in the build up to their fight.

• Paid Members

i've never been one who really see's the issue with the Interim title. People get all bent out of shape about it, but they are created so the division has an active Champion on top, that guy right now is Jose Aldo. If McGregor does decide to move back down eventually he'll unify the two belts against Aldo or whoever then we're back to 1 title.

I understand people's frustrations at Conor being allowed to fight at different weights but again he's a unique case, there's very few fighters the UFC would allow this for but when you're raking in the cash Conor does it's inevitable. It happens in boxing all the time.

• Paid Members

Nate handily beat Michael Johnson less than a year ago. The same Johnson who holds recent wins over Barboza and Poirier,  I'd say he easily belongs in the same league as Barboza, Chiesa, and others

So, because he beat one guy in three years he belongs at the upper echelon of a division alongside guys who've been on regular winning streaks over that period? Nah, not for me I'm afraid.

He belongs in that league when he proves it, and he hasn't done nearly enough of late to suggest he belongs there.

I'm not overdoing anything, I'm simply saying that he's done fuck all to warrant being considered among the top talent in that weight class. He's beaten one relevant guy in three years, and has went 1-1 with a guy who's success has come mostly at 145lbs.

He's not top 5 and for the rankings to have him there is laughable. That's the point i was making when you said he was ranked number 4. 

He's made big money from the McGregor fights and is now making the mistake of thinking that those millions of people who bought the PPV done so because they wanted to see him. 

He was nothing more than the co-star in those fights. He was not the main attraction, so he'll not be getting "big money" to fight again unless it's a 3rd bout with McGregor. What he wants to be doing is trying to make the most of his "rub" and get back in there as soon as possible, as he'll likely be able to land a PPV co-main slot, or a FOX main.

i disagree there.

Regardless of his ranking, i'd say Nate is now without doubt one of the biggest draws in the company, he'll not draw Conor numbers on his own but there's probably only a handful of UFC fighters more popular than Nate Diaz at the moment.

• Paid Members

This all stemmed from your "handy talent" at 155llbs comment David and that's it. He's more than handy at 155llbs, and I find it odd that you are almost ignoring the fact he comfortably beat a top 10 lightweight in Johnson only 10 months ago by dismissing him because he's beaten no one else in a 3 year period? It's worth noting that he was beaten by the soon to be champion in that period before that so it was hardly like he was inactive in that division.

I look at his last fight at 155llbs, he looked fantastic against a top 10 guy in Johnson, the best he's ever looked in fact. That to me makes him a top lightweight.

Edit:- Regarding your above post Egg, I lean slightly towards David more on that one. I think people tune in to watch Diaz, but I've never got the impression Diaz was or even now, an individual PPV draw irrelevant of his opponent. Obviously as you say, he's not on the Mcgregor level, yet I think Diaz really only has Mcgregor as a big drawing fight to call on.

This all stemmed from your "handy talent" at 155llbs comment and that's it. He's more than handy at 155llbs, and I find it odd that you are almost ignoring the fact he comfortably beat a top 10 lightweight in Johnson only 10 months ago by dismissing him because he's beaten no one else in a 3 year period? It's noting that he was beaten by the soon to be champion in that period before that so it was hardly like he was inactive in that division.

I look at his last fight at 155llbs, he looked fantastic against a top 10 guy is Johnson, the best he's ever looked in fact. That to me make him a top lightweight.

So you rank a guy based on one fight that happened almost a year ago? Fair enough, I disagree, but we'll probably need to leave it at that.

I'll buy him as a legit & relevant top talent at 155lbs when he actually strings together two wins within the space of 18 months or so.

• Paid Members

This all stemmed from your "handy talent" at 155llbs comment and that's it. He's more than handy at 155llbs, and I find it odd that you are almost ignoring the fact he comfortably beat a top 10 lightweight in Johnson only 10 months ago by dismissing him because he's beaten no one else in a 3 year period? It's noting that he was beaten by the soon to be champion in that period before that so it was hardly like he was inactive in that division.

I look at his last fight at 155llbs, he looked fantastic against a top 10 guy is Johnson, the best he's ever looked in fact. That to me make him a top lightweight.

So you rank a guy based on one fight that happened almost a year ago? Fair enough, I disagree, but we'll probably need to leave it at that.

I'll buy him as a legit & relevant top talent at 155lbs when he actually strings together two wins within the space of 18 months or so.

No, I don't rank anything, but I do hold him in far more high esteem than simply as handy at 155llbs by beating a top talent in Johnson only 10 months ago. 

No, I don't rank anything, but I do hold him in far more high esteem than simply as handy at 155llbs by beating a top talent in Johnson only 10 months ago. 

Much like his brother, his success is mostly determined by how his opponent fights. If someone comes at him straight on, like McGregor did in their first fight, he can look great, but if they fight smart it usually goes pear-shaped.

That, to me, is a fighter who is "handy". The type who'll always be exciting to watch, but never really crack the very top of the division.

I'm not talking about rankings. Nate's win over Johnson gives us the predictive power to assume that Nate could easily mix it with the likes of Chiesa and Barboza. Would it really be a shock if Nate beat either of those two? I think not.

Rankings usually judge current form. Nate's ranking is more than kind, but I'm confident who could mix it up with those ranked around him. 

• Paid Members

I don't blame Aldo for having a moan. Being the Aston Villa manager is no picnic.

Reading through the last couple of pages of this thread, I initially thought people might be getting a tad carried away in saying 205 looks like the most loaded card ever. But looking at the card now on MMAJunkie and fuck me it's stacked like Lynsey Dawn Mckenzie in the 90s. I can't wait.

Archived