The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I sort of, kind of, feel for Aldo a tiny wee bit. He's clearly obsessed with McGregor, such was the mind fucking and decisive beating he received. Now there is a great chance he'll never get another shot at the money or to get revenge. For the rest of his days, he'll be the bloke McGregor knocked out in 13 seconds.

Now with the hint of empathy out the way, I agree with you Supremo. He's acting like a fool.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on Aldo's side, Dana publicly said if Connor doesn't defend his belt next he will be stripped, obviously that's complete bollocks. The featherweight Title has been on hold for one year due to Connor running from trying to make 145lbs.

It's quite unfair to the Featherweight Divison that Connor gets to basically run the show. To be honest I hope Alverez beats the live shit out of Connor and shut Dana and Connor up once and for all. It's happened with Ronda now let's see Connor get beaten down to size.

What is more frustrating he lost to a mid ranked lightweight on 11 days notice. Ok he "won" the rematch only by decision. In what world does he deserve one. I understand it's MGS but if you want Connor to fight have him defend the belt.

It's not who deserves a title shot it's who has the biggest mouth at the minute.

I love the UFC but it's a case of what Connor wants Connor gets.

• Paid Members

I'm on Aldo's side, Dana publicly said if Connor doesn't defend his belt next he will be stripped, obviously that's complete bollocks. The featherweight Title has been on hold for one year due to Connor running from trying to make 145lbs.

It's quite unfair to the Featherweight Divison that Connor gets to basically run the show. To be honest I hope Alverez beats the live shit out of Connor and shut Dana and Connor up once and for all. It's happened with Ronda now let's see Connor get beaten down to size.

What is more frustrating he lost to a mid ranked lightweight on 11 days notice. Ok he "won" the rematch only by decision. In what world does he deserve one. I understand it's MGS but if you want Connor to fight have him defend the belt.

It's not who deserves a title shot it's who has the biggest mouth at the minute.

Conor's a special case though, he's generating more money for the UFC than anyone else by far. It's all about that cheddar.

As for Aldo, like i said previously. He's probably more pissed that he's missing out on a Red Panty Night and getting revenge on Conor than he is about not actually getting to fight for the belt. He's basically holding the title as it is with the interim belt, that's is the title until Conor comes back down and decides to unify them.

I'm no Conor fanboy by any stretch, but that's bollocks I'm afraid. 

McGregor beat Aldo for the title on December 12th at UFC 194, so it's not been on hold for a year. What will likely happen is McGregor beats Alvarez and gives up the 145lbs belt, or he loses to Alvarez and either gives up the title anyway to remain at 155lbs or above, or he comes back down to defend it.

• Paid Members

For starters it's 'Conor'. 

Secondly mid ranked lightweight? Nate Diaz is ranked no 4 in the world.

Regarding Aldo, Mcgregor had to wait god knows how long for his shot at the belt as Aldo pulled out of their first scheduled fight. On top of that, Aldo as a champion regularly went large periods without defending his title due to regularly pulling out through injury after injury. After he fought Chad Mendes October 2014, he didn't defend his belt till Dec 2015!!

The guy simply doesn't have a leg to stand on...probably due to injury.

• Paid Members

Fighters get injured, it's pretty common place in combat sports. Some people are more prone to injury than others, especially if they've been in wars like Aldo has. The fact you're holding that against him is pretty shit form, I'd expect little more from you though.

I've just read the translation of his statement, nothing he's said is untrue. I'd be interested to know which parts you think are? Anyone who threatens to quit (in any job) but doesn't go through with always looks like a berk though, without fail. Look at McGregor's previous 'retirement'.

We've got a situation where an interim title was created due to the champion refusing to defend. The first time in UFC history that's ever happened. That's pretty farcical.

It'd be a real shame if Aldo did retire now. One of the most exciting fighters, one of the very best P4P in the world & coming off a career best win against Frankie Edgar who was on a monstrous run.

Secondly mid ranked lightweight? Nate Diaz is ranked no 4 in the world.

Diaz has two wins at lightweight in the past three years, which accounts for his entire lightweight exploits over that period, and one of those wins is anything but relevant today.

Those UFC rankings place him ahead of such fighters as Edson Barboza, who's fought nine times in the same period, racking up six wins, and Michael Chiesa who has fought six times and won five of those fights. 

Even Dustin Poirier has fought eight times in the same period, with five of them at lightweight, with four wins!

Those rankings have Barboza at 5th, Chiesa at 8th, and Poirier at 10th, but the guy who's fought twice in the division in three years at 4th?

In other words, the rankings are pish. Diaz fought Michael Johnson almost a year ago now, and I doubt we'll see him back at 155lbs before December, so it'll have been a whole year since he last fought at that weight. For him to be considered the number 4 guy is a fucking joke.

He's a handy talent at 155lbs, but he's never number 4 in the company. Not a fucking chance.

It may be "pish", but those are the rankings, and for someone who's a handy talent as you put it at 155llbs, it's not bad having convincing wins over Donald Cerrone and Michael Johnson in said division. 

He beat Cerrone five fucking years ago almost. The headline of the same card was Lesnar vs Overeem! 

Since then Cowboy has gone 14-3! it was a lifetime ago in MMA terms!

• Paid Members

It may be "pish", but those are the rankings, and for someone who's a handy talent as you put it at 155llbs, it's not bad having convincing wins over Donald Cerrone and Michael Johnson in said division. 

He beat Cerrone five fucking years ago almost. The headline of the same card was Lesnar vs Overeem! 

If what you wrote ended just with referencing the joke of the rankings, I would have agreed. 

But you then continued to dismiss Nate as only a "handy talent" at 155llbs. That's got nothing to do with his rankings and more him as a fighter. When he beat those guys is irrelevant. He's more than a handy talent, and you know that. 

We've got a situation where an interim title was created due to the champion refusing to defend. The first time in UFC history that's ever happened. That's pretty farcical.

No it isn't.

Couture refused to defend against Big Nog in late 2007 for various reasons. Couture then left the company on his own accord, only to return a year later while still being credited as Champion. During this time, Big Nog won the interim title in early 2008, and proceeded to arrange a defence of it against Frank Mir. 

If you are that way inclined, Couture keeping the official title was far more farcical than what's going on with McGregor. 

• Paid Members

Couture refused to defend against Big Nog in late 2007 for various reasons. Couture then left the company on his own accord, only to return a year later while still being credited as Champion

Maybe Rogan worded it differently then as I heard him say this was the first time, maybe he either forgot about Randy or didn't think it was the same as he was inactive? Still, this is still equally as daft.

If what you wrote ended just with referencing the joke of the rankings, I would have agreed. 

But you then continued to dismiss Nate as a "handy talent" at 155llbs. That's got nothing to do with his rankings and more him as a fighter. When he beat those guys is irrelevant. He's more than a handy talent, and you know that. 

At 155lbs he was decent, but he's not put together a winning run at the weight class since he beat Jim Miller over 4 years ago. To consider him a top five guy, ranked above other active lightweights who've been tearing it up is ridiculous.

The truth is, we don't know how he'd do at 155lbs against the top guys there now, do we? How would he fare against an Edson Barboza who'd leather fuck out of his legs? Or against a Will Brooks who's coming into his prime? Or even against  Michael Chiesa who's tall and has the reach to do damage?

It doesn't look as though Nate is ready to get back into the mix at 155lbs any time soon either, does it? He's going to spend the next few months sitting at home crying on Twitter probably.

Archived