The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I really don't get the love for that fight.

Cerrone? And Lawler? Lawler? And Cerrone? Fighting each other? You don't get the love for it?

c64e87fef74809d4fd3961cc87fb6b34.jpg

I mean, I get your point (kind of) but I still want to see it. Badly. If we were in some alternate universe where I got to fuck Holly Willoughby, that would only last 30 seconds as well. It'd still be a bloody marvellous and very enjoyable 30 seconds. For me, anyway.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I agree with Daz in a way going from what I said earlier.

Cerrone folds whenever he's under pressure. He's great dishing it out but he just can't take it.

I don't count Cerrone out at all, yet it will likely be a fight over quickly.

• Paid Members

One thing to watch in that fight is that they're both typically slow starters. It'd be interesting to see who'd grab the fight by the bollocks first. Cowboy could have his moments. And we haven't really seen Lawler in there with a really strong kicker that much, have we? You're probably going all the way back to the Manhoef fight and Manhoef was giving him hell before Lawler switched his lights off. Rory rocked Lawler with a headkick in their epic at 189 as well. And Condit used his kicks to control the distance and to set up his punches. Don't get me wrong, I think Lawler probably ends up battering him. But I think it'd be a fun ride however long it went.

Has anyone heard Rogan banging on about Cerrone at 170 lately? He's going on like Cerrone's some unbeatable force at 170 based off his performances so far at the weight. Granted, Cowboy's looked great at 170 so far but it's early days. He's only had 3 fights as a welterweight. Alex Oliveira and Patrick Cote were decent wins. The Rick Story fight was his first serious test at the weight IMO, and he looked excellent. But Rogan was going on on one of his recent podcasts like Cerrone was prime Anderson Silva at 170 or something. He kept going "Cowboy at welterweight is a fucking WIZARD! He's a WIIIZAARD!" Calm down, Joseph.

• Paid Members

I think it's more that it ties into Rogans effort to get people to realise cutting weight is shit.

He's now got a guy he can latch on to and say 'LOOK, I fucking told you.'

Would Anthony Johnson be a candidate for an example of this or did he bulk up and hold onto the extra weight?

• Paid Members

Nah Rumble would be a good example. Probably the best example that weight cutting is shit. He was always massive for 170. Which is why he missed weight loads of times, he even missed weight at 185 for the Belfort fight! He had no business fighting at 170. He could make the weight (occasionally) but it just wasn't good for him. Even back in his 170 days, there were always pictures of him knocking about out of camp and looking humungous. He probably cuts a bit to make 205 these days but it's nothing like the silly, and frankly dangerous, cut to 170 he used to make.

John Lineker would be another example. How many times did he miss flyweight? Unlike Rumble, I don't think that was a case of him being too big for the weight really, not massively so, but he clearly struggled with the cut. He's gone up to 135 and looked fantastic so far and his power doesn't seem to have diminished at all if you look at his first round KOs over durable bantamweights like Francisco Rivera and Michael McDonald.

• Paid Members

There's no doubt though that Rumble bulked up though from his 170 days. This simply isn't a fighter who's now avoiding serious weight cuts.

I've got no proof but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the Overeem horse meat diet when he was cut from the ufc to bulk his frame to a 205 frame.

• Paid Members

I'll watch that later, cheers. Eddie's had such a great story. It's good to see. Must make all that shit he went through with Rebney's Bellator seem worthwhile in the end.

I love Helwani's special one-on-one interviews like this. These walkaround ones and the sitdown interviews like the Jones/Cormier ones before their fight at UFC 182. Of all the excellent work Ariel does, I think this is his best stuff. I still wish he did McGregor and Diaz ones on the 202 fight week. Would've been fascinating.

• Paid Members

Shane Carwin is officially un-retired, he's posted online that he's free of any kind of UFC ties and can sign with whoever he wants. Bellator surely have to be interested.

Something tells me he wouldn't pass the first out of competition test from USADA if the UFC took him back. 

Archived