Triple Threat Matches

BritFan

If we're including tag matches in this thread, then Edge/Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys at Wrestlemania 17 is the only one that springs immediately to mind which hasn't already been mentioned.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, if we include tags I'll throw these in

Angle/Benoit vs Los Guerreros vs Edge/Rey - Survivor Series 2002

Benoit/Malenko vs Raven/Saturn vs Rey/Kidman from one of the WCW PPVs in 1999

Defo echo the praise for the two Triple H vs Michaels vs Benoit matches from 2004. And Austin vs Angle vs RVD.

edit;

Looking back, I wish we'd had a Hart vs Austin vs Michaels triple threat back in 97 when they were all linked and intertwined in the angles. It could have been great at that time but it seemed like at least one of the three was always out with an injury.

• Paid Members
Edge/Cena/HHH from Backlash 2006, amazing matches. I remember Benoit/Edge/HHH from Raw when the title got vacated as being really good as well, though I haven't seen it since it aired (early 2005?)

Yup. Cracking matches these, especially the latter. Highly exciting finish and that whole angle with the title being vacated created some great tv and rocking matches. One of Raws hottest periods for me. Edge and Benoit fucking tore it up each time during this period and The Elimination Chamber it led to was the best one.

Back on topic, the Triple Threat Cage match between Rock, Mankind and Shamrock was bags of fun and I adored the finish.

• Paid Members
WrestleMania XX Main Event by an absolute country mile for me. Benoit's epic journey to the title along with HHH and HBK's separate rivalry all going on in the same match told beautifully, and what a perfect ending. Also loved the great announce table spot, Benoit nearly locking HBK in the crossface about 45 seconds in and HBK hitting a spot-on Superkick to Benoit whilst he had HHH in the Sharpshooter.

Damn, I might have to go watch it now.

I watched this one recently and found it wasn't quite as good as I might have remembered it being. It involved some crimson faces, yes, but maybe it was more about the celebration afterwards. I do like Armageddon 08's Jeff Hardy/Edge/Triple H bout. A fantastic spear and a Hardy win.

Another one that I enjoyed although it was way too short was Angle/Rey/Orton from WrestleMania 22. It was a fun little match, but was given too little time to really be remembered much.

For me, it has to be the first Triple Threat match I witnessed on a video tape purchased from Rob Butcher many moons ago. This match, although not the first (or even the best) example of a 3-way bout, is probably responsible the popularising the concept and presenting it to a changing wrestling audience. That match is Sabu vs. Terry Funk vs. Shane Douglas from ECW's The Night the Line was Crossed on February 5th 1994.

I don't like triple threat matches in the main, theres not usually a story to the match just 3 guys hitting spot after spot for 20 minutes.

That said if i had to choose, i'd go for the usual suspects, Summerslam 2000, WMXX and Vengeance 2002 main events.

I do love the tag match from Survivor Series 2002 though.

Archived