Triple Threat Matches

BritFan

I love a good triple threat when it's done right. What are the best you've seen?

For me:

Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit - WrestleMania 20

Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker vs. The Rock - Vengeance 2002

AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Samoa Joe - Unbreakable 2005

What others?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benoit/HHH/HBK from WM 20, Rock/Angle/Undertaker and Austin/Angle/RVD are my favourites that have already been mentioned. But I'm also quite fond of Brock Lesnar/Kurt Angle/Big Show from Vengeance 2003, and the Triple Threat Hardcore match from Wrestlemania 17, Kane/Big Show/Raven.

I would say that Triple Threats are probably my favourite stipulation match ever. They are always good. Hell, Slammiversary had one with Hardy, RVD and Anderson in it and it was still good!

My 5 favourites:

1. Stone Cold vs. Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit - King of the Ring 2001

2. John Cena vs. Triple H vs. Edge - Backlash 2006

3. Johnny Nitro vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito - Vengeance 2006

4. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit (Although I haven't watched it in ages) - Wrestlemania XX

5. John Cena vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels - Survivor Series 2009

Triple Threats are belters.

I did enjoy this when I first watched it on WWF Raw oh so many year ago and the first ever WWF Triple Threat match for the IC title

Owen Hart © Vs Goldust Vs HHH

Not perfect still a good match

• Paid Members

WrestleMania XX Main Event by an absolute country mile for me. Benoit's epic journey to the title along with HHH and HBK's separate rivalry all going on in the same match told beautifully, and what a perfect ending. Also loved the great announce table spot, Benoit nearly locking HBK in the crossface about 45 seconds in and HBK hitting a spot-on Superkick to Benoit whilst he had HHH in the Sharpshooter.

Damn, I might have to go watch it now.

• Paid Members

I'm not fond of either of the Vengeance 3-ways. The Show/Angle/Lesnar one in particular is just a long series of hitting finishers on each other. Complete spotfest. Maybe as close to an ROH main event as WWE have ever put out. One of the first moves of the match is Show hitting Lesnar with a chokeslam, he covers Lesnar and the only thing stopping him from winning the match was Angle breaking up the pin, Lesnar was done for, supposedly. Yet towards the end of the match, Lesnar gets hit with another chokeslam and kicks out at 2! Retarded logic.

The Wrestlemania and Backlash ones from 2004 would be my picks, along with Edge/Cena/HHH from Backlash 2006, amazing matches. I remember Benoit/Edge/HHH from Raw when the title got vacated as being really good as well, though I haven't seen it since it aired (early 2005?)

• Paid Members

I really don't like Triple Threat matches, the near falls aren't nearly as convincing after the first two or three instances of the third guy breaking it up, and the "third guy having a rest" sections are always too obvious.

Having said that, there are some crackers. Honestly, my favourite singles matches are the ones that as they progress really convince you that either man is capable of winning, that the two are evenly matched and that it could go either way and both have an equal chance. That's not always easy to pull off one-on-one, and I personally find its close to impossible in one-on-one-on-one. It's rare for me to have a three way where I genuinely buy each man as being a possible victor.

With that thought in mind, HHH vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit from Mania XX is in a class of its own. I could see Trips retaining just as much as either challenger beating him and at various points thought each was on the verge of triumph. A truly great match.

Gotta be WMXX, but half the board will probably say that, so for the purposes of contributing something remotely worthwhile, I'll say that I also love the Backlash rematch, and there's a great little forgotten match from Starrcade 1998 between Rey Jr, Juvy and Kidman that springs to mind. I'm a big fan of Raven/Benoit/DDP at uncensored 1998 too.

Generally speaking, i'm not a great fan of 3-ways.

Archived