Top 25 must see ECW matches

Euanconway

• Paid Members

I dunno if it would be in anyone's top 25 but I saw a RVD/Sabu vs Furnas/Kroffat match in the ECW Bravo days that I loved the shit out of at the time.

I'll also throw in

Lance Storm vs Jerry Lynn from Anarchy Rulz 99.

Super Crazy vs El Mosco from Cyberslam 99

Tajiri vs Steve Corino from Hardcore Heaven 2000

Off the list the biggest surprise omission to me is the Funk/Sabu/Douglas 3 way Lister mentioned.

• Paid Members

Memorable as the Tanaka-Awesome matches were, I guess you can see why you'd be hesitant about drawing attention to matches highlighted by a bunch of chairshots to the head when one of the guys later suffered depression and killed himself.

The RVD/Sabu vs. The Eliminators is on the new ECW set as is Taz vs. Sabu from Barley Legal and Taz vs. Shane Douglas from Guilty As Charged 99.

Id have liked to have seen Mike Awesome vs. Spike Dudley from Guilty As Charged 2000 make the list, love that match.

Think the J.S. hate for Awesome stems from the way he left to go to WCW, despite them paying ECW $75k to let Awesome out of his contract. That's how he puts it anyway

While I don't agree with a few of those choices, I can see why each of them are there.

A reasonable exclusion would be the second Taz/Bigelow match. Their first match is great and the big spot at the climax of the rematch was a bit crappy. No other singles matches are repeated so I would have added more names by swapping that with something.

The first Sabu vs Tazmaniac match from September '93 would be on my list, but with 7 Sabu matches there already I can't complain, and their match at Barely Legal was more significant in ECW history.

As there is only one match there from the last 18 months the company was in existence I would have swapped Taz/Bigelow at Heat Wave with something from that period. 5 suitable replacements:

- Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm @ Anarchy Rulz 1999

- Mike Awesome vs Spike Dudley @ Guilty As Charged 2000

- Rhino vs Sandman @ Hardcore Heaven 2000

- Kid Kash vs EZ Money @ Anarchy Rulz 2000

- Tajiri vs Psicosis @ Hardcore TV September 2000

* The Eliminators vs. Sabu & Rob Van Dam: CyberSlam 1997 (Feb. 21, 1997)

I remember absolutely loving this one at the time (and the other one between the teams the month before), but never usually hear it mentioned when people discuss the best ECW matches. I don't believe it has been included in any of WWE's ECW DVDs to date, either.

Having said that, it has been years since I last saw it, so have no idea how well it holds up today.

I know people can get them by other means but I personally have never seen Cyberslam 1997 available on VHS/DVD by delta, so perhaps that's why it doesn't get mentioned. I've not seen the match, but it's on the the new ECW unreleased dvd that's coming out, which looks absolutley fantastic, the blu-ray has the main from Night the line was crossed on too.

Can't really argue with any on that list, certainly plenty of my personal favs. Of course there's quite a few more I could porbably think of, but there's bound to be.

• Moderators

No Tracy Smothers, or any FBI at all for that matter (easily one of the most fun tag teams of the late 90s) means that Joey Styles is even more of a fucking penis who was a fucking awful announcer than I previously thought. And I wasn't huge on him in the first place.

Decent enough list, but like anybody else there's a few omissions i'd like to see in place of a few choices, personally. Biggest one I can think of is the Corino/Lynn match from Heatwave 2000 which needs way more attention than it's ever got. Outside of that vaguely notorious 'fingerpainting with blood' bit, it's a really well wrestled match. One of the best from that year!

Yeah the 4 way from Heatwave 96 should definitely be on there I might even sneak the Shane Douglas Vs Justin Credible match from Cyberslam 99 on as well I remember thinking that was a blinder at the time.

I recently watched the Tag Title tourney from 2000 at the Hammerstein Ballroom and it was a belter of a show and the show the next night in the same building had an amazing Justin Credible Vs Steve Corino match for the title which I would include

I might even sneak the Shane Douglas Vs Justin Credible match from Cyberslam 99 on as well I remember thinking that was a blinder at the time.

That is a great shout too.

It came at a time when Douglas had been struggling over a year with various injuries and a lot of people were surprised he had such a great, athletic match still in him.

And Justin Credible doesn't get enough credit in my opinion for his part in ECW history. He wrestled on more ECW ppvs than anyone else (every single one from November To Remember 1997 onwards iirc) and progressed from lively lower-card talent to a solid mid-card position, then main event World Champion.

The list of 25 is pretty unbalanced with only 1 match between September 1999 and January 2001, I'd say Credible was one of the most consistent and reliable wrestlers there over that period.

Archived