Top 25 must see ECW matches

Euanconway

• Paid Members
* The Eliminators vs. Sabu & Rob Van Dam: CyberSlam 1997 (Feb. 21, 1997)

I remember absolutely loving this one at the time (and the other one between the teams the month before), but never usually hear it mentioned when people discuss the best ECW matches. I don't believe it has been included in any of WWE's ECW DVDs to date, either.

Having said that, it has been years since I last saw it, so have no idea how well it holds up today.

Very surprised at no inclusion of any of the Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka matches. Also some of the amazing later triple threats with the likes of Tajiri, Supercrazy, Lynn and Little Guido. Can't argue with a lot of that list though.

If Styles made that list, the lack of Awesome is expected. He hates Awesome.

• Paid Members

The most obvious missing ones I can think of off-hand would be Sabu-Funk-Douglas and Raven/Richards-Pitbulls, though the latter is far better in context. I'd also prefer to have the first Guerrero-Malenko match, simply because you can argue it's the birth of modern "indy" wrestling in mixing together styles from all over the world. That said, the post-match sendoff in the final match is pretty memorable. I'd also have been tempted to include Tazz-Awesome just for historical importance. Gangstas-D Von/Mass Transit should really be there, though it's perfectly understandable why it isn't.

If I was coming up with a list myself I'd probably consider Douglas-Pitbull 2-Jericho-Scorpio for match quality and Beulah-Alfonso for spectacle.

Most of the ones on the list are good choices, though there's nothing special about Cactus-Jericho (save for a cute sendoff), and Raven-Sandman is a baffling choice.

Also, while it's presumably ineligible, the main event of the first One Night Stand would be a great asterisk entry at the end.

So none of the Gangsta's vs Public enemy make it

Nor Beulah vs Fonzie (edit, just seen that comment in another post)

Nor Funk/Jack vs PE (the chairs in the ring one that was on the ECW credits every week)

Nor Steve Williams at The Doctor Is In just for the crowd reaction

But we do get Mikey vs Austin so Stone Cold can get a few more royalty checks

• Paid Members

At least one of the Super Crazy/Tajiri matches should have been on there, the Mexican death match probably. I'd take Lawler vs Dreamer, Kid Kash vs EZ Money, Corino vs Anderson and the Dreamer vs Anderson I Quit over most of that list.

Living Dangerously was the best Taz/Sabu match as well.

• Paid Members

Worth reading the article as it has explanations by Styles. It's "most definitive" rather than strictly "must see".

The two matches I thought odd picks both have tenuous explanations. Jericho-Cactus is apparently just there for to have Jericho, while Sandman-Raven is meant to represent the Tyler Fullington angle, which I think came after that show.

• Paid Members

The lack of Awesome-Tanaka in any way isn't right.

Quick question, why does Styles hate Mike Awesome? Is it strictly to do with the leaving as champ thing or is there more to it?

Taka Michinoku/Mens Teioh/Dick Togo vs Great Sasuku/Gran Hamada/Masato Yakushiji from Barely Legal should be included for sure. As should the rematch shortly afterwards.

Al Snow vs Chris Benoit from Double Tables was the greatest ECW match IMO but I understand why that's not here.

i never knew the there was a rematch of that 6 man tag, i remember watching it as a young kid and being blown away by that match up, it was excellent !

• Paid Members
Nothing off Anarchy Rulz 1999?

Yeah that was baffling me too.....aside from the ones I mentioned further up the page (Awesome vs Tanaka and the Tajiri, Supercrazy, Guido three way dance) it also had Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm which was amazing. In fact, no Lance Storm on the DVD at all.

Archived