If ross hadnt passed on chael, rampage etc

Donedude

How many could have actually made it in wrestling out of interest? Aparently ross passed on sonnen when he made himself known to him when he was talent scouting at the university of oregon. I think chael would be used in the same way as shelton benjimin etc, or he would have just been used as a jobber.

think chael would be used in the same way as shelton benjimin etc, or he would have just been used as a jobber.

Nah

Chael has natural charisma, something Benjamin never had. Chael is no dummy either, he knows how to get a crowd interested. If WWE or TNA gave him a chance he could be one of the most competent mic men of this generation.

The fact he studied and was helped by Roddy Piper with his trash talk to hype UFC fights speaks volumes. He could be a cracking heel.

I heard a rumor a while back that Rampage was soured on wrestling after meeting Undertaker, not sure as to why though. Could be bollocks all togeather though.

Edit: Here is the story

"Since the show is to also feature SmackDown stars, it will be interesting to see if The Undertaker is there. Taker blew Jackson off years ago when Jackson tried to meet him. Quinton never forgot about the incident and it kind of soured him on the wrestling business. Growing up, Rampage was a big wrestling fan"

Credit: Wrestling-Edge

• Paid Members

I heard that story ages ago. Rampage and his brother were huge WWF fans, especially of JYD, and wanted to be wrestlers and all that. Then they met the Undertaker and he was a massive twat to them, and it put them off wrestling. A lot of them were former wrestling fans. Its scares me how many of them say "I loved it when it was good" and stuff like that, because it sort of shines a light on how many people think that wrestling is shite now.

BJ Penn's was a big Hogan fan and even sang Real American in an interview with Ariel Helwani. Rich Franklin was a Hogan fan as well. Hogan surprised him on the Bubba show once, and Franklin was chuffed. There was pictures going about a few years back of Tito Ortiz at WrestleMania XIX marking out over RVD and stuff. Strikeforce commentator Mauro Ranallo was the former boyfriend of Natayla as well. He was the lead commentator for Stampede Wrestling for years and was the voice of MatRats in Canada. Ranallo was also the lead candidate to be the new WCW commentator in 2001. Back in the 80s if you were a American Football player or just a huge tough guy looking to make money, wrestling was the thing to go for. Not now though.

A large chunk of MMA fans are former wrestling fans as well. That is why Lesnar spiked the buyrate of his first PPV. A large amount of the audience watching wrestling in say 2000-2006, are now UFC/MMA fans, who I am sure will tell you "I watched it when it was good" as well.

I wonder it its the same reason why josh barnett has never set foot in a US ring because josh hates the glitz and glamour of american pro wrestling.

This the same Josh Barnett who could barely contain himself when Steve Austin introduced himself to him at an Affliction show? The guy likes to both fight and wrestle; in Japan he was able to do this whilst in the US he wouldn't. Plus, you have a shorter shelf life as a fighter than you do as a wrestler. When he is done fighting I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him move into pro wrestling.

I know Rampage was a big wrestling fan (especially of Memphis, Mid-South, Lawler, JYD) just never heard of Jim Ross turning him down before, so was wanting to know where Donedude got the info from.

• Paid Members

MMAs Mean Gene, Ariel Helwani, worked for Spike/TNA for a brief period. He became mates with Kurt Angle, and Angle pushed for him to get a job on the writing team. Helwani said that he went off wrestling after seeing the state of some wrestlers, and the way he was treated by TNA management (I'd guess he was talking about Terry Taylor).

Nowadays, if I had the choice of UFC fighter or WWE wrestler, I'd definitely choose UFC fighter. That's coming from somebody that followed wrestling for most of my life.

He said in an interview a few years back that he sent an application letter to attend the wwe training facility in memphis when it was there and he got a "dear john" letter from jim ross's office.

Jim Ross and Rampage Jackson? :omg:

Well I never ;)

I'd say wrestling fans are harder to please now more than ever and for wrestling to be as popular and make alot of money, so I can imagine if your tough enough you do mma and make decent to great money for less long term physical damage that wrestling would bring.

ofcourse mma brings its own downfalls but you kinda get my point.

Strikeforce commentator Mauro Ranallo was the former boyfriend of Natayla as well. He was the lead commentator for Stampede Wrestling for years and was the voice of MatRats in Canada. Ranallo was also the lead candidate to be the new WCW commentator in 2001.

If Showtime ever ditch Strikeforce, the WWE should throw big money at Mauro Ranallo, He's a great hype man, he talks well sure he goes a bit over board some times with his puns but listen to this call

that's a JR style call right there. Dana White clearly dislikes him, as he's a quite cringe worthy and that shit only works in Pro Wrestling , he would be better play by play guy than Michael Cole and looks better than Jim Ross obviously.

Archived