UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Re-1SinN6

He's either massively confident or a little rattled. I'm not sure which, he's hard to read.

I doubt we'll see a Silva-Griffin-like performance. Forrest had nothing for Anderson. NOTHING. He stood with Anderson where he had neither the power, speed or skills to trouble him. And if he wasn't already in enough bother, he froze.

I don't see Chael freezing, And at least he's better than Anderson at something. And that something also takes Anderson out of his most lethal area.

The problem is I just see Chael falling into the Spider's web (triangle) again. As good as he looked against Stann, I'm not buying that as proof he's suddenly a BJJ expert. It's Brian Stann, great striker but let's face it, he's only a notch or two above Kimbo on the ground.

Chael's doing the right things like training BJJ with Vinny Magalhaes, but has he caught up enough to where he can survive 5 rounds in a guard like Anderson's? I'm not sure, and that's what he'll need to do to win imo.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Also AJMCStyles - Silva is not going to get cut, regardless of his performance.

Looking at the card, you gotta feel for Cody McKenzie. I know he did well in his last outing and deserves to be climbing the ladder, but hes still a massive one trick pony. He's getting thrown to the wolves here.

despite this very much being seen as a 2 fight card...im really excited for the entire main card, it's got some interesting style clashes going on and i think it's gonna be an exciting night outside of the two main events.

The Mendes/McKenzie fight is one. I think on paper it looks like an easy nights work for Mendes but McKenzie definitly offers some problems. Obviously Mendes' strongest position will lead to McKenzie being put into a very comfortable position so i think we may see Mendes try and stand a little with Cody. McKenzie's so fucking awkward standing though that he can pose problems there too...i'm interested to know whether McKenzie still trains with the Diaz bros? Maybe he'll try and adopt a Diaz like style, he's got the body shape for it and if he can somewhat replicate it he's gonna be a tricky fucker. I'd put money on Mendes but im sniffing an upset.

Quite surprised to see Cung Le come in as an underdog to Patrick Cote too. Cote's solid as a rock and he's on abit of a role but he's quite static in the cage and he could end up as a punching bag for Le. Cote's toughness is gonna make this exciting because i don't think ive ever seen him hurt in the cage and Le will always throw his shit so this is gonna be great. I see it going kinda like Cung Le/Scott Smith, hopefully without the epic comeback.

Gotta give massive props to Cote though. If there's any guy that needs to be singled out as the perfect example on how to act if you're cut by the UFC it's Cote. He didn't bitch, he didn't whine, he just got back in there and won some tough fights, i'm glad he's back.

Maia/Kim: Again, surprised that Kim is the favorite. If Maia has the weight cut down properly i'd back him. Demian Maia's in a weird place though, if the 170lb cut goes badly i don't really see a future for him in the promotion, there's only so many times the UFC can pimp his jiu-jitsu stylings, he's claiming he's gone back to his roots, lets fucking hope so cause i can't deal with another Demian Maia standup clinic. I'd love to see Kim pull it off though, just so we could hopefully see another of his classic post-fight interview.

• Paid Members

Yeah Maia's meant to have gone back to the BJJ roots. But Kim's a really solid grappler himself, could be a hard opponent for Maia to look good against. I see it either being a stalemate on the ground or a subpar striking match. Hope I'm wrong and Maia turns out to be a beast at 170 and we get something like his fight with Jason MacDonald.

His standup has improved a lot which is something I actually don't think he gets enough credit for. If you look at his fights pre-Marquardt he was pretty much just a grappler. After Marquardt it was clear he put the graft in to improve his striking to the point he was holding his own and even winning exchanges against Kendall Grove and Mark Munoz. He deserves credit for that.

The problem is, in focusing so much on his striking he kinda forgot that he's one of the top 2-3 grapplers in MMA. Instead of his improved standup complementing his grappling it's actually replaced it in some ways. If he can find the right balance he could be a handful at 170 I reckon.

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani pre-fight with Steven Seagal

Chael is in trouble.

Honestly, the whole Seagal thing is just baffling. Anderson and his whole camp are clearly friendly with Seagal, but it's unclear whether they genuinely listen to the guy or if they just feel a little bit sorry for him. It's without doubt one of the most baffling association's in sports.

• Paid Members

Chael is in trouble.

Honestly, the whole Seagal thing is just baffling. Anderson and his whole camp are clearly friendly with Seagal, but it's unclear whether they genuinely listen to the guy or if they just feel a little bit sorry for him. It's without doubt one of the most baffling association's in sports.

Was coming to post this myself. Seagal continues to get more insane each time we see him. Bat shit crazy. Great stuff about him passing messages to Soares and the illegal moves :laugh:

There are probably more eyes on this thread than there normally would be, so here are the rest of the videos from MMA Fighting. Some good stuff

Anderson Silva pre fight presser scrum

Forrest and Ariel

I'm surprised Tito is such an underdog. This is his last fight, he's gonna be fired up for this one, and Griffin hasn't looked impressive in recent outings and may just not really care much anymore

• Paid Members

Chael is in trouble.

Was coming to post this myself. Seagal continues to get more insane each time we see him. Bat shit crazy. Great stuff about him passing messages to Soares and the illegal moves :laugh:

There are probably more eyes on this thread than there normally would be, so here are the rest of the videos from MMA Fighting. Some good stuff

Anderson Silva pre fight presser scrum

Forrest and Ariel

The old Vegas stuff is great. What did Mitrione say about Tito?

The Mike Dolce interview is fantastic. Very informative. Had to watch it a number of times to get my head somewhat around it. Very good.

• Paid Members
I'm surprised Tito is such an underdog. This is his last fight, he's gonna be fired up for this one, and Griffin hasn't looked impressive in recent outings and may just not really care much anymore

im holding out judgement on Forrest until after this fight. Everyone's saying he's lost interest and if you wanna go by his last fight it's easy to to see why, but of course thre's the thing with the pregnancy and stuff that could have led to tha, Forrest denies that being the reason but it can't have been good for his mindset going in.

He's such a tough guy to read because he always seems like he doesn't care, he's been like that since TUF, but he's shown that when he gets into real competition he's ultra-competitive and i get the feeling that he's got that back without anyone really noticing, he can't be happy with the way it went down against Shogun so i see Forrest coming in fired up, and i think he'll finish Ortiz late on.

I might be wrong, but i think he's gonna surprise us.

Have just rewatched the first fight between Silva and Sonnen, god I am so pumped for this fight.

Watching it back, even in the second round, Silva was biding his time waiting for that exact moment to strike with the submission. He tried with the triangle and even tried with a Kimura when Chael had his back and also tried the arm-bar a couple of times. And even saying that Sonnen hit Silva with more strikes than ever before, when you look back at them, they were merely annoying shots (in one round hes hit Silva back and forth with the same hand sort of like a pendulum action)and nothing that was ever going to stop the fight. The advantage that Chael seems to have over other wrestlers is that when he took Anderson down, he kept busy with those type of shots and was able to pass Silva's guard a couple of times. He's not simply securing the takedown and holding Silva down for as long as possible like other wrestlers might.

The stuff at the press conference was difficult to read with Anderson. i couldnt make up my mind as to whther Sonnen has got into his head and made his lose focus, or is Anderson so determined to kick the living shit out of Sonnen that his rage will actually boil over, I side that we havent seen from the usually stoic champion.

I can see the fight going one of two ways. Its either going to end very quickly with Silva getting a KO/TKO or we're going to see a similar fight to last time, only this time Chael will be more focused about avoiding the submission, in particular the triangle

I am done making predictions for the Main Event.

With so many opinions and thoughts out there I am clueless on what will actually happen, as it stands I see Anderson winning by stoppage in the middle rounds, but that can and will change the more I communicate with others about it. For example I picked Sonnen on my Sherdog Fantasy earlier in the week and have decided not to change that.

On my own instinct I am none the wiser even come the day before the fight, I like it this way, there is a atmosphere online and from what I hear in Vegas that this is going to be something very special.

The undercard I have just gone with my initial opinion with little thought, Griffin by Late Stoppage, Cote by TKO, Mendes, Kim and Easton on points.

Despite my high post count on here, I do not actually watch that much MMA bar the UFC these days, I watch some Strikeforce shows, but give most Prelims, Bellator, MFC and ONE FC a miss. My interest in UFC whilst strong is controlled and I manage my time with plenty of other interests and hobbies, this week has been a exception, I have watched the presser, Countdown, Primetime, MMA Fighting Interviews and also will watch the Weign Ins . Pretty much the lot, I have not done that since UFC 100.

UFC and MMA does not get any better than this, the anticipation is the pinnacle and when the Main Event starts as longtime fans we will have a nervous energy that is only seen maybe once every 3-5 years.

I despite being cynical initially, think this fight will do very well commercially, it is everywhere today, I talked to two guys on Facebook who I have not spoken to proper in 2 years about it earlier.

Boxing as much as I like it failed to give us Pac vs Floyd, but UFC/MMA has given us something almost and maybe as good. Tomorrow whatever the result will be a big one for casual and hardcore MMA fans alike.

Archived