Preston City Wrestling - Guild Wars 02/06/12

fludder99

Is Rene sticking around then? I thought he'd had to return home for a family emergency or something?

No idea. Coby said was something occurring in the other thread for Southside regarding news on the emergency or whatever.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tozowa vs El Ligero was an awesome match. Tozowa is one of the best in the world and Ligero certainly gave as good as he got and lived up to his end of the bargain. Well done PCW on putting on another good show, but this match was outstanding,

More Japanese stars for future shows please!

Fantastic show, best i've been to since Dragon Gate and one of the better British Promotion shows i've been to. It wouldn't be my choice of a night out venue :laugh: but as a wrestling venue it's spot on. Last night showed what the right venue can do, it helps to build crowd atmosphere which in turn helps the show/s quality wise.

Opener was a smart way to start with the Title match. Crowd were hot as it was the opener and it was a really good match. I'm not always in to Spud and Kirby, but they too had a really enjoyable match, it seemed like I'd never seen Spud in a proper match for one reason or another and the last couple I've seen have been and have been good. Bar Room Brawl lacked a bit of something for me, enjoyed the brawling to start with but then it didn't really change and did drag a little, still it was enjoyable brawl.

Thought Dupree and Max had a great little match. Max didn't look out of place with a WWE name, but then I didn't think he would, crowd were mainly for Dupree but that was understandable. Really impressed with Dupree, very good stuff from him and he seemed to enjoy it, an import name that I'd like to see used again, which isn't always the case with ex-WWE names. And it was fun shouting Allo Allo quotes :laugh: Travis/Mastiff was another really good match that really fired up towards the end, prefer Travis as a heel but they are both great in whatever role they are in so knew this would be a good'un and it didn't dissapoint. Bra and Panties was more a "match" than I thought it would be and did have some good action, good light relief before the main event...

Which was phenomenal. Almost certainly the best match i've seen at a show that wasn't a touring promotion (NOAH, Dragon Gate). It was a classic of those Dragon-Gate style of matches which had some incredible stuff in it, The german on the edge of the apron being a real standout moment in my mind. Would have to watch again to remember everything! But yeah Tozawa was amazing like he was at Dragon Gate and hats off to El Ligero who showed just how much he can bring in a huge match like that, just incredible. Would certainly welcome and hope to see El Ligero in similar matches down the line.

Good to speak Richie who seemed to be enjoying himself as usual :laugh: (we were the ones sat on the stage trying to point BigBennyHG out to ya, not sure if you did remember where we pointed haha)

So yeah my first taste of PCW was a very good one indeed. Ran smoothly with no insanely long interval like some have, top venue and most importantly a really good card with one amazing stand-out main event. Will 100% be back when possible to make the shows.

Yet another cracking show for PCW! This really is the best North West company for my money. Ligero-Tozawa is easily my UK MOTYC at this point. There was no holding back from Tozawa (unsurprisngly) and Ligero completely busted his arse to prove why he always should've been in that match. Completely lost my shit for the German on the apron!!

Rest of the card was also fun with a very good Trav vs Mastiff match, the hilarious/slightly bizzare Bra & Panties match, an enjoyable outing from Dupree and everything else was comfortably in the region of decent.

August is chock full with GPW, the Futureshock Supershow but right now, my money is with the PCW Anniversary show

What a night, what a main event! I'm still in awe at some of things I saw Ligero and Tozawa do last night in that ring. Both guys worked their arses off and Ligero showed without a doubt why he was ranked #1 in the UK and thoroughly deserved to be given that opportunity to work the match last night. I was saying to a friend that Ligero can work a very good match just going by the numbers and not straying too far from his usual repertoire of moves, but he was doing stuff last night I've never seen. Simply amazing. Ligero is a credit to the UK wrestling scene and without a doubt, he deserves every ounce of praise he gets.

With plans to be working in Austria going tits up and not starting work in Germany until September, it means that I'll be around for the PCW Anniversary show in August which is awesome. August is going to be a cracking month for wrestling in the North West. Time to spread the wings a bit further and FINALLY get round to seeing some Futureshock and GPW in addition to PCW.

• Paid Members

I'll apologise in advance because I'm crap at this sort of thing:

My first PCW trip, I was looking to do the double with IPW but I've not been feeling to great as of late so opted to show some sense and not cover the length of Briton over the bank holiday. Traffic getting up to Preston from Birmingham way was a bitch but it didn't dampen my spirits.

The venue, whilst having a slight smell of vomit in some places, was just amazing. The look of it was top draw and it held the atmosphere fantastically.

One of my main gripes with some UK shows is they are at venues that don't build, foster and hold an atmosphere, as a result the atmosphere doesn't build to the crescendo it could.

This place didn't have that issue, the crowd had a buzz from the off and the building held it so well it just felt like it grew and grew which is just perfect.

First off was T Bone vs Bubblegum. Nice way to keep the title match big with such a huge match on later on the night. Nice video and promos to get me up to speed on the story and engaged with what's going down.

Top match and an excellent opener. I really enjoyed how it was put together and really got behind T-Bone to fuck up gum. The kids by me were very pro Gum, which made for some extra fun as they vocally fought his corner

Then we have Kirby vs Spud. Not been a massive fan of either man over the recent past if I'm honest, although Kirby is growing on me as a singles act and Spud is starting to feel a bit more fresh after I got very disillusioned with what felt to me like a stagnant act for a time.

The venue and the crowd were right up Spuds street I felt, and was more open to him really showing what he can do while still having a match.

The match and interaction between the two was golden and was a very pleasant surprise as I wasn't overall stoked to see it before hand. I actually really enjoyed it, a very good match and great fun from start to finish It was a golden continuation of what was looking to be a golden show. Both men really shone to me and changed my view on both, reasserting old, positive feelings on spud and continuing the growth of love for Kirby

Next up we have M.O.B vs JD Sassoon, Cameron Kraze and Dylan Roberts.

I'll get it out the way to start with, Hammer didn't do it for me at all. Solid enough and clearly has potential he looked out of place on the show and some what outclassed. Kraze didn't do much for me either sadly.

The match itself was good I felt but should have been shorter or had something extra. It started well and was a fun brawl but it dragged a bit, and could of been better having some weapons in there or trimming out some of the "walk around brawl" which was great fun but went long.

The crowd was into it which was grand and I enjoyed, could have been better but it was by no means bad.

Max vs Rene Dupree was great fun. It was odd because you never know how people are going to react, especially with some one like Dupree, but the crowd got behind him and despite a slow start to support for Max he did seem to get the people behind him by the end.

Fun match, great fun and great to see Max get a match like this as he's one to watch I say, very rarely fails to impresses.

Travis vs Mastiff was astounding. Mastiff is the best in the country today in my eyes. The match was astounding, a great electricty form the fans and it felt like both gave it everything. Travis was really good as the man fighting up that hill against Mastiff, and few people look more like they are a going to fuck shit up than Big Dave.

On some shows could have been match of the night. Not on this night but I loved this match.

I'd perfer Mastiff as face and Travis as heel, where I feel he really excels, but that's a very small point as this was astounding.

The drag match was fun and more of a match that I expected which was good. Whiplash, who I've never seen before, looked good (although not in that way before any one gets any funny ideas). It did struggle without Manson I felt. He involves people like no other and makes everything a more interactive experience, but these things happen. A fun break before the main and a nice change of pace to stop burnout, would have been much more with Manson though.

El Ligero vs Akira Tozawa.

Fuck.

Fuck, fuck fuck.

I was very curious to see what Ligero would do and how he would handled the environment.

Just an outstanding match. I took to standing on some staging for a better view of the top draw action. The match was nicely paced for the style and kept me on the edge all the way through. The air raid crash, I believe I have the right name, on Tozawa was just mental and looked brutal. I though I was going to have a heart attack after that.

Ligero appearing to get dropped on his head near the start going for a 'rana/headscissors looked nasty but he carried on, so it either looked worse than it was or he's A1.

Tozawa was having some fun interaction with the fans and made everything feel very spontaneous which always make a match more fun.

The german on the apron was just unbelievable, and the superplex was thing of pure beauty.

Everything in this was just perfect, just perfect.

I liked him winning with his DDT too.

Best match of the night, year and perhaps I have ever seen on a mainly UK promoted show.

I'll be trying to get along again dates and times permitting. However I can't travel up for a Friday show which I believe the next show is and most are which is a shame.

I'll be along when I can though.

Great to have a chat to Richie too.

Edit: You could do with a better ring announce too, or he needs more experience. Not that he was bad but he looked, or sounded, out of his depth some how.

Others (with more reliable memories than myself) have done the run downs of the matches, so I won't bother with that, but I'll say this show was not only one of the greatest wrestling shows of my life, but one of the greatest nights of my life full stop.

I'll give a quick shout out to my good friend Allan who saved me from certain doom by putting about 3 pints of water down my neck as I was about to pass out at half time and completely re energizing me for the remainder of the show, of which I can remember just about all (for a change). Amazing night all round. Thank you PCW.

Some people at the merch table after the show definitely thought I was a wrestler though, (possibly because I was holding that gorgeous silver belt) about 4 or 5 people wanted their posters signing. I just signed them anyways, I didn't have the heart to tell them otherwise!

The usual gang of PCW Reprobates were also out, started early on the heavy stuff, cheers Richie and co for that :thumbsup: (Richie's pre event steak wasn't quite as huge as his one from his off topic exploits, I think it was from the worlds smallest cow tbh, and it took about an hour to arrive. The pub wasnt even that busy :/ )

It was a very nice steak though, in it's defence, regardless of its 8oz size! If we ever have future meet ups in there I'd go for it again. Or maybe 2!

My only gripe with the event was the drink prices were a lot more than the last event I went to (Spring Slam)

Pfff, I'd spent

Finally, a quick question: kayfabe and highly entertaining video packages aside, what's really happening to the old belt? Is it up for sale?

cash converters sold it before we got there and not a clue who has it ;)

Bugger. That would have been the ultimate piece of PCW memorabilia! Ah well.

Also, it was nice to briefly speak with Mark Sloan and Ben Auld at the show, both very decent blokes. And I must apologize for sending poor Big Benny to the bank machine for me twice after giving him the wrong PIN the first time around.

Archived