TUF: Brazil / UFC 147: 'Wanderlei vs Franklin 2' *TUF SPOILERS

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This event drew 20 Million on Brazil TV.

To put that into perspective, in the US the top rating I believe is 8.8 million for the JDS vs Cain fight with a 5.7 million average. Brazil has a population of around 190-200 Million compared to the US having 300 Million.

So 10% of all of Brazil watched this fight, it also beat Ronaldinho Football debut as well.

UFC is fucking huge in Brazil.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mental numbers. I'm glad it's getting huge there.

It's a no-brainer. Most of the top fighters are Brazilian, there's loads of guys they can get behind and Brazilians are a fighting race anyway, they have to be it's a dangerous place.

You'd think Asia will do good business. Just by numbers, with the population of a country like China and the history of martial arts there it makes sense. There's a lot of talent in Korea aswell which could be a good place for UFC events and again huge population there. Japan will be the tricky one with breaking into Asia. UFC 144 was a success but I dunno long term. MMA and K-1 have been so poorly handled over there since Pride died, combined with the economy going down the shitter, it's a mess in Japan.

I'd expect Mexico to be a good place for UFC to hold future events aswell. Mexicans love their fighting and I think it's meant to do well on TV there.

They have a goldmine in Brazil, which will keep the company profitable for many years even if worst comes to the worst.

They have Aldo, Wand, Silva, JDS, Belfort, Machida, Shogun and Big Nog all who will draw big crowds and monster ratings, that market is the strongest the UFC has. Bareo and others are good insurance as well if some of the names retire.

Cain is a good bet to crack Mexico in the future, Asia will take years other than maybe Korea with Zombie, and I believe Korea does not suffer from the burnout and tarnished image that MMA has in Japan.

I still think Bisping can help grow MMA here more if UFC get on a decent channel, SKY or Channel 5 would be perfect. Sweden may be a good bet to go once a year with Gustaffsen as the draw.

UFC are making their stride globally, even if business is down stateside.

• Paid Members

Yeah Brazil's set. Guys like Big Nog and Wand don't have many fights left and I can't see Anderson and Shogun going too much longer either. But the likes of Dos Santos, Aldo and Barao should be around for a long time.

Then there's great young Brazilian fighters like Eduardo Dantas and the Pitbull brothers out there who will likely wind up in the UFC sooner or later.

The level of talent on TUF Brazil just shows a glimpse of how much untapped talent there is in Brazil. And there's always talk that Nova Uniao (which produced Aldo, Barao, Dantas) has a gym full of Jose Aldos just waiting to get a break. I really think this is just the tip of the iceberg with Brazil. It's an exciting tine.

• Paid Members

Just to add to the above, the JDS/Cain rematch has apparently been pulled from the 152 card. talk is it's going to be heading a Brazil card in Oct sometime. A JDS Heavyweight title defence in Brazil would be of Wresltemania type proportions

Those numbers for the show are incredible too. That's some monster business and we can expect them to keep tapping that up.

• Paid Members
why've they moved it? simply to have it go down in Brazil?

I don't think they ever actually had it set for UFC 152, Dana just mentioned it as a possibility. 152 is in September so I guess they just thought with them going back to Brazil in October they might aswell stick it on there. JDS vs Cain in Brazil is gonna be crazy.

• Paid Members
I dunno about the 10-8. And that's coming from me, someone who was looking for reasons to give Wandy the edge.

I'd have te rewatch it but I thought although Wandy absolutely battered Franklin and almost ended it, Franklin did enough early to keep it 10-9 to me. It's that old argument again but it's true that the 10-8 rule isn't about 'nearly finishing'. 10-8s are for rounds that are a complete domination

yep, i scored the round 10-9. Franklin was winning the round for 4 mintues so Wandy onslaught stole him the round back, it was still a 10-9 round in my opinion.

Wandy completely punched himself out though, the 3rd and 4th rounds were redundant because of that onslaught, it ruined both guys :laugh: if you delete them two rounds and just watch rounds 1, 2 and 5 you have your fight of the night.

Archived