TUF: Brazil / UFC 147: 'Wanderlei vs Franklin 2' *TUF SPOILERS

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I know it's early for a UFC 147 thread but with TUF Brazil now underway and the finals of that show scheduled for UFC 147 I thought this warranted a joint thread.

For anyone that doesn't know, TUF Brazil won't be on TV over here. It's on tuf.tv for us with English subtitles.

C12D7A4E-ADCE-45FC-AFDF-21D5F940F75C-e1332525855708.jpg

Belfort-and-Silva1.jpg

Coaching staff are;

Team Belfort

Rodrigo Artilheiro (Wrestling)

Francisco Filho (Karate)

Luiz Dorea (Boxing)

Gilbert

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping we would have a thread for TUF Brazil. That's a good post too, I appreciate the effort!

I enjoyed the first episode, there was some good fights. Wand and Belfort were very quiet during the fights. I wonder if they spoke in Brazilian and it was edited out. Thought it was weird when Goddard was telling that fighter to put his gumshield straight back in, I thought the ref was supposed to make sure it was rinsed! I suppose he just thought he was trying to stall.

A heads up gentleman

There are spoilers going around on Sherdog as the finalists have been leaked. I was lucky enough not to stumble upon them, but be careful unless you want to know.

This card is the day before my Birthday so the UFC have spoilt me this year. Even with mega-fights like Jones vs Rashad and JDS vs Reem, this is by far the fight I am looking forward to most.

I think Vitor will beat Wand, but no doubt when Sandstrom hits at 4am I will be shouting on Wand like the good old days until he trades with Vitor and gets knocked out.

This card is somthing very special.

• Paid Members
This card is the day before my Birthday so the UFC have spoilt me this year. Even with mega-fights like Jones vs Rashad and JDS vs Reem, this is by far the fight I am looking forward to most.

Good stuff. Also, I haven't seen it mentioned on here yet so I don't know if anyone's realized yet but the Guida/Maynard card on FX is scheduled for the night before UFC 147. What a weekend that's gonna be.

Cheers for letting us know about the spoilers on Sherdog too.

That first ep blew the USA one out of the water. Really good job with showing who got in the house and the fights got explained by two excited coaches.

Some real raw skill on some of the guys.

I enjoyed the first episode. Dont know why they showed so much of the last fight, though. It was embarassing watching two super gassed guys throwing weak as shit punches, but they showed loads of it. Makes no sense when they showed 1 minute highlights of fights that Silva and Belfort were calling great.

I read an interview with dana white and he was saying the ufc actualy inquired on hiring u2's last stage they used on the 360 tour for ufc 147. If you havent seen it check it out its madness.

Something about actualy getting it to brazil stoped it from happening,i think u2 had something like 200 trucks carrying it around On tour.

Dana said there building something similar to that stage for the ufc show in the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Obvious spoilers as in the thread title

Anyone been watching this? I'm up to date now, watched episode 3 last night. I'm actually enjoying it more than TUF 15 so far. There's some real talent in there and we've already had appearances from Aldo and Dos Santos.

Episode 3 was good. Sarafian looks legit to me. I know it's early but I think he could go far in the competition. Seems good in all areas, but especially his grappling. That transition to the back to set up the choke was class. He could be tough to beat and his style is not only hard to deal with but it's pretty low risk aswell which is perfect in a tournament format. We'll see how he looks next time because I'm not sure how good Forte was.

Felt a bit bad for Forte after the loss though. Wanderlei, Cordeiro and the whole team were pissed off but he did hurt his foot early on, bad break for him but Brazilians are merciless about being macho. Brazilian MMA fighters remind me of Mexican boxers in their mentality. They love a warrior and they don't wanna hear about pain or injuries. Brazilians are tough man.

Few other thoughts

Gaspar's the livewire in the house and he's rubbing people the wrong way already, but I kind of like him. I think Rodrigo Damm needs to lighten up myself. Gaspar's antics all seems to be in good fun with no real malice intended.

The product placement stuff is ridiculous. Only 3 episodes in and we've had energy drinks, protein bars and all sorts shoehorned in.

I like Vitor, always have, but man he's coming out with some odd shit so far. I'm loving Wanderlei's reactions to Vitor's wacko talk.

And again, it's early days but there were 2 guys who caught my eye in the elimination fights who I'm looking forward to seeing more of

Hugo 'Wolverine' Viana (FW)

knockouts_Hugo_Viana_Elbows_Alexandre_Ramos_TUF_Brasil.gif

Francisco 'Massaranduba' Drinaldo (MW)

1.gif

We didn't get to see too much of them but I'll make an early shot in the dark prediction that they'll both reach the finals in their weightclasses.

You can still watch the first 3 episodes here

http://www.ufc.com/tuf-brasil-episode-1

And is it just me or does the Brazilian remix of the TUF theme sound better than the original?

• Paid Members

The UFC 147 date/location might change because a recently scheduled United Nations meeting is taking place from the 20th-22nd June.

UN bastards fucking up my thread with all their peacekeeping shite.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, there are a few decent fighters on this show. Episode 7 had a pretty nasty finish, with Gaspars arm looking like it got jacked pretty good in the armbar by Rony Jason. We also got to see the two coaches finally exchange words!I'm looking forward to seeing whoever they pair with "Pe De Chumbo" of team Wanderlei. That guy looks like a total beast, and reminds me a little bit of Alexis Vila.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's been a fun season. I've been watching dilligently every week but this thread's been dead so i didn't wanna keep bumping it. Are people watching this? I dunno if it's the subtitles or what but I'd stick with it if that's putting anyone off. There's some serious talent in there and I like the slow gradual increase in tension between the coaches. They don't need to talk much shit given their history. I'm enjoying it more than TUF 15 myself.Good episode this week again. Gaspar's arm looked nasty and I was chuffed to see Team Wand finally get a win on the board. Agreed on Chumbo too he looks legit and i can see the Vila comparison. Him and Sarafian could be the guys to beat. I like Wolverine and Massaranduba too although I'm not sure how far they'll go just love their aggression they've shown so far.If you're not watching it get watching. What are people waiting for? The finals are next month.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with the last two episodes there, and the one thing that I've noticed about the Brazilian Ultimate Fighter show is the amount of respect the fighters show each other and the house. There's been no shenanigans, no bust-ups in the house, and no shit-talking. I guess that could put off the casual viewer who may want big brother-esque nonsense, but I'm happy enough that the guys have come into the show with their heads screwed on right.

I had quite high hopes for Massaranduba, but you could tell from the start of the 2nd round that his gas tank was going to be a problem. He simply doesn't have the endurance at this stage to fight against guys in his own class for three frames. Much repsect to Bodao though, the guy has come through some tough times, and it's good to see a heartwarming story. He was told he'd never be able to take part in any kind of physical task, never mind actually train and get to the level that he has.

Did anyone else hear Anderson call Vitor a coward? :laugh:

I was also very disappointed by the performance of Pe De Chumbo. A grappler of his quality shouldn't be getting submitted like that.

• Paid Members

I watched episode 9 earlier aswell. Really good episode, it's all kicking off. Shame Team Wand is getting fucking trounced.

I also was disappointed in Massaranduba's cardio. He's a killer early but he doesn't seem to have the gas to go over a longer stretch. He'll be fun to watch though, hopefully he can improve on his stamina.

Anderson was hilarious. I don't think he realised his mic was still on when he was calling Belfort a coward and a cutie haha. Then he realised and seemed to just think 'fuck it' and re-enforced it. There's still some tension there.

I love Wand but he got wiped out this season. Still firmly rooting for him to pull off the upset and KO Vitor though, as unlikely as that may be.

Swapping some of the fighters to different teams shakes things up a bit. It's not ideal but like Dana said, MMA isn't a team sport and they've gotta keep the show interesting. This will do it.

I don't get Belfort though, he made two friends fight each other the other week. Now he's bellyaching about having to coach against some of his original guys.

I'm glad I've been watching this on the UFC site. Why are they only just putting this on TV in the US? There's only a few weeks until UFC 147. Wouldn't it have made more sense to air one a week until the finals? It's gonna be a bit of a rush now getting all the episodes televised in a month.

I agree on the different feel of the show with the guys being more respectful too. Gaspar was the most disruptive and even then he wasn't malicious with it just a likable rogue. Big difference to pricks like Tony Ferguson saying 'where's your son?' to a guy with a son who had serious health problems.

There might not have been a load of trash talk like the US versions but the competitiveness is at such a high level there's enough tension in there.

Cracking season. I've enjoyed it more than TUF 15 personally.

Archived