Raw Discussion 12th March 2012

tiger_rick

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think part of the problem is that after that night in Chicago they seemed to go to bat on making him a fully fledged face when in reality he was, and to a big extent still is, more or less a heel who had some fans. The Punk we saw leading up to, and in, Chicago could be a really explosive heel. Fuck it, I just want to see a nice long Punk/Cena feud; it's the new Edge/Cena

• Paid Members
I dont think its his size either. I do think his appearance isnt right though, as well as the fact his character very off putting. I mean, they've told him to shave his beard, so that seems to be their way of addressing it part of it. This audience is used to John Cena and Randy Orton. Bret Hart had a great look. He stood out with his stringy hair, sunglasses, leather jacket and two colours that everyone thought of when they thought of him. Shawn Michaels dressed how his character should have dressed. Flair's look and the way he carried himself still inspires wrestlers today. Rey Mysterio is a superhero. Jeff Hardy is a colourful daredevil loved by girls and teenages and he has this free spirit type of character which makes him (or at least made him) likable to the people watching. And this never happened over night. Mysterio used to wear dungerees and no mask, and nobody was into him. Bret only wore sunglasses because he was a nervous wreck. Shawn Michaels had a breakdown and became a very bitter person because he bombed in 1996. Jeff Hardy took years to become a top level wrestler. No reason why CM Punk cant become a star people want to see every week. But he has to drop this off putting attitude and eliminate the things from his look and character that alienate the fans every week.

This is spot on. CM Punk isn't shit, he just needs a few tweaks. I think he is comparable to the likes of Diesel or Shawn Michaels; they never really clicked and drew big money (and in Shawn Michaels case, he was a worse draw than CM Punk is now) early on, but they persevered and both men became legends and draws later in their career. It's up to Punk though, the raw ability is there he just needs to realise his instincts aren't always correct. It doesn't help WWE have no super heels for him to go up against, any upcoming babyface would struggle if they had to get sympathy when fighting bores/midcarders like Del Rio and Ziggler. I'd be throwing money at big Dave, myself.

Ha, that gif is amazing.

I agree with Blackson and Ian's posts above.

I'm not blindly defending Punk, despite some people deciding to read it that way, I'm just saying that there are multiple factors at work. The WWE fans have been schooled to like Cena, and despite the negative reactions he gets, he still has a huge, huge amount of fans who will probably always see him at the Top Guy until he retires. Punk's character has been all over the place since his big summer breakout, and they have yet to find a balance that is working for every member of the crowd. He's still over though, and gets the right reactions. He just needs strong booking going forward, just like everyone else does.

The point about Punk feuding with Ziggler and Del Rio are very valid. Both are talented, but neither have been positioned as genuine top heels.

• Paid Members

Another week, another degeneration of a Raw thread into a boring dissection of why Punk's crap / a failure / looks like a knob / lost ratings - and vice versa. How many times can people rake over the same fucking ground, week after week, and yet still come back the next week and say EXACTLY THE SAME THINGS?

I suggest that we open next week's Raw thread now, copy and paste about the last 5 pages of posts into it, and save everyone a lot of time and energy.

• Paid Members
It usually happens when someone posts the stupid fucking quarterly ratings, everyone reads into them too much and then the same people post the same things.

True. But they post them because they know Dirty Eddie et al will take the bait, like clockwork, around about Wednesday afternoon every week when everyone's pretty much finished giving their thoughts on the programme and the figures get released. Every single week.

tumblr_lnkfb72lBy1qbcheyo1_500.gif

• Paid Members
True. But they post them because they know Dirty Eddie et al will take the bait, like clockwork, around about Wednesday afternoon every week when everyone's pretty much finished giving their thoughts on the programme and the figures get released. Every single week.

In fairness, this is very much like the 'Triple H did a 20 minute promo every week on Raw' thing. It's been a while since folk went back and forth about what a shit draw CM Punk is, we've all been busy talking about the varying quality off The Rock's promos or how rubbish Zack Ryder is.

• Paid Members
In fairness, this is very much like the 'Triple H did a 20 minute promo every week on Raw' thing.

It's not, really. Talking about a news-worthy quarter hour where nearly a million viewers tuned out during someones segment (which would have been posted if it was anyone else) is entirely different to people completely making stuff up about a wrestler they don't like.

• Paid Members
In fairness, this is very much like the 'Triple H did a 20 minute promo every week on Raw' thing.

It's not, really. Talking about a news-worthy quarter hour where nearly a million viewers tuned out during someones segment (which would have been posted if it was anyone else) is entirely different to people completely making stuff up about a wrestler they don't like.

You got me wrong, hombre. I was implying Gladstone thinks we discuss it more than we really do, similar to how it felt like Triple H was starting Raw every week with a 20 minute promo, when in reality it didn't happen that often. Like most tings, I could have worded it better.

• Paid Members
It usually happens when someone posts the stupid fucking quarterly ratings, everyone reads into them too much and then the same people post the same things.

There is nothing stupid about the ratings, especially when they drop in such a significant manner. Its perfectly relevant to the thread to mention such a drop, its the circular argument that ensues thats the issue, not the valid information that is being posted. As Cleetus says, if nearly a million people tuned out during The Rock or Cena

Archived