Smackdown spoilers 13/01/11

Colt Stevens

Definitely, although I've never had any issue with his physicality. The guy knows a ridiculous amount of holds and is a very good strategist, but yes it does come down to how WWE present that.

Looking back at his work with Morishima in ROH, he can be a very good fan favourite to get behind against a monster heel, but he'd earned that respect by then. At this point in WWE, it has to go the other way really. They need to cater for the majority who don't give a shit about anything pre-WWE.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A really entertaining show with a good mix of matches and promos. Thought this was a stand out show for Daniel Bryan, him and Show have good chemistry and overall i am enjoying his title run more than Punks.

Wade Barretts' little promo was great too - i hope he gets a good run during the Rumble match. Liked the 'God save the queen' at the end of his segment.

• Paid Members
Its a strange one with Bryan and Big Show. Surely Big Show is the one eventually turning heel, because he's got that match with Shaq coming up. And you cant have a babyface vs babyface celebrity match. I wonder if a Big Show and Daniel Bryan alliance will eventually happen, especially when Mark Henry turns face. Imagine that? Big Show and his little heel buddy Daniel Bryan vs Shaq and Mizark. It would do wonders for Henry and Bryan as far as publicity goes.

Surely they could just have Show turn heel directly on Shaq a month out from 'Mania though?

Another really fun SmackDown highlighted by the man from Planet Funk, of course, and another cracking little match between Bryan and Big Show which once again continued to actually really help Bryan along. I'm assuming that next week we'll get Show v Bryan v Henry for the title but it would be a fun match to hold out to the Rumble for. Obviously Bryan will take advantage of the hatred for each other the two big men have and pull out a cheap win and then we'll get all the fun of the lead-in to the Elimination Chamber and his biggest challenge to date. It would be pretty cool for Orton to win the Rumble and go after Bryan.

Haven't seen SmackDown for a while [damned series link!] but remembered to record this weeks and found myself really enjoying it.

Nice to see some different faces like Hunico, Jinder Mahal and others that wouldn't get a look in on Raw.

Plus, say what you want about AJ but the girl took one heck of a bump onto the floor and got sweated on by The Big Show into the bargain.

Am liking the heelishness of Daniel Bryan too. Anxious to see what he has up his sleeve against Mark Henry next week.

I still find Jinder distinctly average once the bell rings. I don't mind his persona, and I think there's room in WWE for a character like his, but he's very boring to watch in a match.

I wonder if they'll ever give Gabriel and Slater proper feuds at any point? They seem to turn up, have moderately decent matches, and that's it really.

For the second consecutive week, I watched Smackdown and for the second consecutive week, I really enjoyed it. Bryan is doing a fantastic job at the moment and this character definitely has legs to it, so I hope he keeps hold of the belt for a while longer. The match with Big Show was another solid match from those two, and I'm looking forward to Mark Henry getting involved again in the next week or two, which must surely lead to a triple threat at the Rumble.

Barrett's promo was another good example of what he can do, and I quite liked the God save the Queen bit at the end. I hope he makes that a regular thing, mainly because it'd just be cool to see.

Oh, and of course, those few minutes of Brodus Clay on TV were probably more fantastic than his appearance on Raw. I'm loving the Funkasaurus.

I've two concerns with Brodus. I absolutely love the gimmick and want it to continue for a long time but there's two bits that need to be worked on.

1: The entrance needs to be more tight and in sync, Monday night's was perfect. Smackdown's looked to be somewhat out of sync with the music. practice makes perfect though. Could use a touch more choreography just to emphasise his character, but that's slight at best.

2: Matches need to be more than 15 seconds. Monday vs Curt Hawkins was a brilliant match, the one against Tyson Kidd was far too short. If you want people to really get into this guy he needs time to entertain, doing the same entrance routine will stop being entertainment value on it's own soon enough. This guy knows how to move in the ring, give him a couple of minutes to really work the crowd in a match, he's a good talker to the crowd too, utilise that.

Edit: General thought. That Smackdown crowd was miles better than the shit on Raw. A good crowd actually getting into the show makes it look much better on tv.

Its a strange one with Bryan and Big Show. Surely Big Show is the one eventually turning heel, because he's got that match with Shaq coming up. And you cant have a babyface vs babyface celebrity match. I wonder if a Big Show and Daniel Bryan alliance will eventually happen, especially when Mark Henry turns face. Imagine that? Big Show and his little heel buddy Daniel Bryan vs Shaq and Mizark. It would do wonders for Henry and Bryan as far as publicity goes.

Is Shaq definitely wrestling at Wrestlemania? If so I'd rather it be one on one. The Mayweather match was not a straight forward face vs heel match really, Big Show was initially the heel, but Mayweather started heeling it up. even winning by cheating. I'm sure Big Show was still wrestling face's though.

Isn't Shaq worshipped in Miami? He ain't going out as a heel if so.

Not really, no. He was a few years back and he'll always be remembered for being an integral part of their first ever NBA title winning side, but he fell out with the coach and has since dissed the team on numerous occasions for failing to win another title, in particular singling out Chris Bosh for criticism, he's very much a love/hate figure.

A little tough on Tyson Kidd, maybe should have given him the Hawkins treatment, a 2-3 minute match, rather than a 15 second squash!

A very solid show, liked that they've added AJ to the mix, gives her something to do & evolves the story.

Surely build to a triple threat.

• Paid Members
The entrance needs to be more tight and in sync, Monday night's was perfect. Smackdown's looked to be somewhat out of sync with the music.

The music might not have been loud enough for him to hear his cue.

Quite possible - during Raw they had a monitor in the corner for his entrance (like they do so guys can hear each other during promos), it wasn't there on Smackdown.

The Mayweather match was not a straight forward face vs heel match really, Big Show was initially the heel, but Mayweather started heeling it up. even winning by cheating. I'm sure Big Show was still wrestling face's though.

They did a double-turn (without a turn really happening) about a week into the build, and by the time they got to Mania it was very definately face Big Show vs heel Mayweather. Yes, it was originally intended to be the other way round (Show returning and goading Mayweather, who rushed the ring to protect his "buddy" Rey Mysterio), but that was very quickly switched when it became apparent Mayweather is a naturally cocky, unlikeable persona, people reacted to him as such, and they had no choice. The heeling didn't just begin with his entourage in the match.

You are right, however, that Show still wrestled at least one face in the run-up, as he KO'd Jericho in a short face-vs-face match on the Raw immediately before Mania - Jericho was trying to blindside him with the IC belt at the time, though. Not really sure what the intention of that was, as Jericho entered MITB as a babyface, and although he turned heel not too long afterward, it had nothing at all to do with any seeds planted there.

• Paid Members

I absolutely adore Big Show. He's been fabulous throughout this entire angle. I find his performances in segments to be some of the most believable. And to be fair, D-Bry has carried his part tremendously as well and could be given many of the same compliments.

What initially seemed like a bit of a shame of an angle and rushed, quick-fix booking with Henry having to drop the belt and Daniel Bryan cashing in his MITB contract just like everybody else, it's blossomed into a really neat little slow-burn angle, with probably plenty more twists and turns yet to come, especially as Menry is only really getting involved again. Really enjoying it.

Archived