Christmas treats!

Philo_Vance

So, I've just been to my local farmers' market to stock up on cheese and ale for christmas. These are the two things I refuse to skimp on. They're my christmas treat for myself and pretty much my favourite thing about Christmas day. So what extravagant bits and bobs do you buy at this time of year? Aside from the obvious bits and bobs for christmas lunch, is there anything you really look forward to and go out of your way to get the absolute best?

My cheese list for this year:

Ashmore Farmhouse

Ashmore Red

Bowyers Canterbury Brie

Ellie's Goat's cheese.

Coulton Basset Stilton.

Beer List:

Kernel Galaxy IPA 6.9%

Kernel Citra IPA 7.2%

Kernel Black IPA 7.4%

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock 6.7%

Brodie's Dalston Black IPA 7%

Struise Brewers 'Jesus' 10%

and last but by no means least, Mikeller's 2009 Santa's Little Helper, aged in red wine barrels. Probably my favourite brewery and this stuff is expensive and rare, promises to be a very special post-christmas lunch sup.

Yes, this thread was a thinly veiled excuse for me to demonstrate my beer and cheese nerdiness. Just wondered if anyone else put this much time and thought into various aspects of your christmas shenanigans?

Me and a mate went on a trip to Beers of Europe in Kings Lynn the other week where I stocked up on 20 odd ales from UK and US breweries, it was beer heaven. Got some from breweries I like and ones i've heard good things about, plenty of dodgy named Christmas ales too, I've heard good things about Kernel brewery, would like to try some of theirs at some point.

I always look forward to Christmas tea, my mam does a great spread. I've bought a few things for it that are my personal favs on a spread like Battered King Prawns which I can't get enough of. Also got some Pork Belly bite things from M&S which we had last year and are amazing.

I honestly can't say enough good things about Kernel. Every beer they do is incredible, the care and attention that goes into them is obvious. By all accounts they don't do brewery tours officially but if you go and bang on the door, they're happy to show you around and sell you beer direct. Their Galaxy IPA is one of my current favourite beers, and I'm excited about the Citra IPA I've got here for christmas.

Yes, this thread was a thinly veiled excuse for me to demonstrate my beer and cheese nerdiness. Just wondered if anyone else put this much time and thought into various aspects of your christmas shenanigans?

Not so much nerdiness, but this is the first year that we're having the family over to ours for Christmas dinner so I'm cooking for 7 and mildly panicking, going overboard, and will probably cook too much (I made the soup starter today and literally made twice as much as I need). It's all fairly standard fare though, the only extravagance is goose fat for the roasts and the fancy cherry brandy I bought for the dessert.

Not so much nerdiness, but this is the first year that we're having the family over to ours for Christmas dinner so I'm cooking for 7 and mildly panicking, going overboard, and will probably cook too much (I made the soup starter today and literally made twice as much as I need). It's all fairly standard fare though, the only extravagance is goose fat for the roasts and the fancy cherry brandy I bought for the dessert.

Its easy mate, Just make a list of the things that need doing and what time they need to go in the oven. I must have cooked at least 120plus turkeys at work over november and december.. Thats why im having beef :laugh:

Its easy mate, Just make a list of the things that need doing and what time they need to go in the oven. I must have cooked at least 120plus turkeys at work over november and december.. Thats why im having beef :laugh:

Hah yeah I can imagine you'll be sick of it. I'm organised, got a list of what I need to do tomorrow, and times etc for Sunday. Just overthinking it really :)

my mums gone all fancy this year by getting some food in from waitrose as well as asda and tesco. got myself a six pack of chang beer (everton's sponsors) for over the weekend and me and my dad have got a dressed lobster starter for christmas lunch, something i've never tried before so quite looking forward to it. also my mums saved most of the bother for lunch by buying a pre cooked crown of turkey that only takes 45 mins to do in the oven

Archived