Christmas treats!

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Sticking to my diet a little less strictly over Xmas. I'm still not having chocolates and sweets and shit like that, but I won't fuck about with stuff like Xmas pud, turkey baps and picky bits of food on boxing day.

I've got everything done. Turkey is boned, stuffed and rolled. Veg is all prepared, starter is made. Got some all-butter shortbread made and just have to garnish my Baileys and Dark Chocolate Cheesecake. No Xmas cake as I have a nut allergy. Missus to set the table and we are good. 3 course meal for 10 sorted. Having a beer watching footie :)

Helps that I'm a chef so used to being prepared ahead of time.

I've got everything done. Turkey is boned, stuffed and rolled. Veg is all prepared, starter is made. Got some all-butter shortbread made and just have to garnish my Baileys and Dark Chocolate Cheesecake. No Xmas cake as I have a nut allergy. Missus to set the table and we are good. 3 course meal for 10 sorted. Having a beer watching footie :)

Helps that I'm a chef so used to being prepared ahead of time.

Hoping you've made a Stock with turkey Carcass for Gravy!!

Baked potato soup for the starter, have just finished making that. Turkey and all the trimmings are in the fridge, and my veg is all bought and ready to peel in the morning. My brother's bringing through a couple of cheesecakes, so I've made a raspberry sauce, a chocolate sauce and a butterscotch sauce.

Have made some smoked salmon and cream cheese canapes, and some mini sage and onion scones, which are dynamite. Also have some mini loaded potato skins for when my guests arrive.

Have made some assorted mini sausage rolls for the evening as well, using venison, ostrich and wild boar sausages. Add to that I have the usual filo prawns, chicken goujons etc.

And I'm just about to go finish off the homemade truffles. Gonna melt down some milkybar and coat them in that.

Cheese wise I have some of Alex James' excellent flavoured cheddars, some camembert, and a selection of Isle of Arran speciality cheddars.

Beer I'm afraid I'm a bit bog standard with Stella, and also have some Guinness and Strongbow. My dad is bringing some Primator though, which is a nice Christmas treat!

I fucking love Christmas!

I was planning to do a bit more of the preparation tonight, but my local getting a firkin of Darkstar Hophead in has put paid to that. Having said that, My mate doesn't finish work till 2 tomorrow so I've got plenty of time in the morning to get all the food done before he gets here. Looking forward to some nice christmas beers tonight with other nerdy ale friends, then smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast with bucks fizz with the missus before she gets picked up to go to her family, then a few hours on me own to prep food, nice quiet pint with a mate, flying visit to see another friend and her little boy, then home for full on christmas lunch followed by my amazing cheeseboard and ale selection. And the bottom christmas special, naturally. I've been struggling to feel festive this year, having been to a funeral a few days ago and whatnot, but I'm starting to feel it now.

My turkey is now prepped and sitting in the oven ready to start cooking at 6am, used the neck to make my gravy about a half hour ago, so that's now sat cooling. Made all the pigs in blankets earlier as well as the dessert both now clingfilmed and in the fridge, all that's left for tonight is peeling the potatoes and parboiling them ready for roasting tomorrow.

Booze wise, I've got 2 boxes of white wine from Asda and a bottle of Morgans Spiced (belated birthday present from someone, not what I'd usually choose), the Mrs has Pear Cider and some non-brand Irish Cream.

I think it might be ok.

Archived