Iran

WU LYF 4 LYF

an unjust peace is better than a just war

So says Roman statesman and all round pacifist/manipulative coward Marcus Tullius Cicero, and I'm probably inclined to agree.

Anyone got any opinions/worries on this situation with Iran? All I can say is I hope it doesn't lead to conflict, it's the last thing we need, I don't even think we have that many munitions manufacturers over here any more so the cost of weapons won't be cancelled out by the economic stimulus.

I wonder if their nuclear weapons are the same ones Hussein was producing in Iraq. And why shouldn't they have nuclear weapons if Israel is allowed to? The arab nations must live in a constant state of fear with an enemy so close with the power to wipe them out, it's only understandable they want their own deterrent.

So where is this going? Would anyone support war?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant see how we'd justify it - its their country and if they dont want us there why should we force our way in?

Im sure im missing huge amounts of political opinion here but its their country, and we just kicked them out of ours. I'd rather it be left at that.

It would be an unbelievably stupid war.

Firstly, the hypocrisy is mind-boggling. We, the US and Israel have nuclear weapons. And the US is the only nation to have ever used them, of course. We're the ones invading countries, changing their regimnes, causing mass death and commiting massive war crimes - for decades; Iran in 1953, Chile in 1973, Nicaragua in the 80s, Iraq in 2003 and Libya this year are just some examples. Nobody's talking about what a dangerous threat we are to peoples' existence or how our nukes need to be taken away. With good reason, the people in The Middle East are overwhelmingly shit scared of the United States as the biggest threat to their existence, not Iran. Look at the polls; about 90% would actually feel more secure if Iran had nukes, because it would be a deterrent to the US, who are responsible for so many atrocities and travesties in the area; invasions, illegal wars, drone attacks, etc.

No one should have nukes. But we have no right at all to say who can have them and who can't. It's no shock that Iran would want them, though, given the constant threat they're under. And I doubt they'd ever use them - the country would be incinerated in seconds.

Secondly, if a pre-emptives strike did go ahead, the repercussions for us would be horrendous. There'd no doubt be revenge attacks from Iran and its allies, and it'd most likely increase terrorism (i.e. the type 'they' do to 'us', it doesn't appear to count when it's the other way round).

Thirdly, right now, when we our economy is fucked, we don't need another war just so we can go chest-thumping around the world again.

The subtitle Cry Havoc and Let slip the dogs of war, just makes me think of Christopher Plummer in Star Trek

As for Iran, would probably be a step too far in terms of justifcation, a swerve to Zimbabwe may help things, just because they can :S

If there is a major terrorist incident in the future that is linked to Iran I may go full blown Duane.

My ears were red, did someone mention my name? ;)

Anyone hear George Galloway on Talksport nearly having a heart-attack over a caller not getting what's going on with Iraq? The caller said "strategic targetting should happen" and war is justified because they are a threat to peace. Orweillian Newspeak is reality folk! War = peace!

I'll post the vid if I find it.

EDIT:

Found it -

After all the money wasted on the fucking fiasco in Libya, I'd have thought the last thing the public would support is more millions we haven't got being spent bombing another country on the other side of the world.

That's aside from the ethics of the situation, which have been dealt with fairly comprehensively already.

Another major factor, as Galloway pointed out, is that whilst we attacked Iraq, Libya & Afghanistan without too much trouble, Iran are a different story.

They'll fire back, and will undoubtedly be aiming for places like Washington, New York and London. They have the capabilities to do it as well.

• 1 month later...
Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

Iranian news network Press TV has had its licence revoked by the media regulator Ofcom and will no longer be allowed to broadcast in the UK.

Ofcom said the state broadcaster's English language outlet had breached several broadcasting licence rules over editorial control of the channel.

Press TV has also failed to pay a

Archived