Do wins and losses matter?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I think they 100% matter. You have to project a superstar aura on TV, and nobody likes a loser. You hear shoot interviews where people say "its fake, if you dont do the job go home" and all that, but thats just wrong isn't it? If Austin, Hogan or Goldberg lost regularly where would they be? Even The Rock. The Rock did the odd job, but he was protected as well. Rock wasn't losing every week, and if he did it do a job, it was to make someone look good. He wasn't doing it for shits and giggles. I bring this up because EVERY fucker seems to lose. Dolf Zigger's the US champion, and he loses all the time. CM Punk never wins, Alberto Del Rio's the WWE champion and he's done TV jobs plenty of times. Daniel Bryan is holding a title shot in a case and he never wins either.

Also, look at the people from back in the day. Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Bill Goldberg, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Triple H all got slagged off because they were marks for the gimmick they portrayed on TV and took themselves way to seriously and wouldnt do things they thought their character wouldn't do. Could do with some of this lot now.

• Paid Members
I think they 100% matter. You have to project a superstar aura on TV, and nobody likes a loser. You hear shoot interviews where people say "its fake, if you dont do the job go home" and all that, but thats just wrong isn't it? If Austin, Hogan or Goldberg lost regularly where would they be? Even The Rock. The Rock did the odd job, but he was protected as well. Rock wasn't losing every week, and if he did it do a job, it was to make someone look good. He wasn't doing it for shits and giggles. I bring this up because EVERY fucker seems to lose. Dolf Zigger's the US champion, and he loses all the time. CM Punk never wins, Alberto Del Rio's the WWE champion and he's done TV jobs plenty of times. Daniel Bryan is holding a title shot in a case and he never wins either.

Also, look at the people from back in the day. Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Bill Goldberg, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Triple H all got slagged off because they were marks for the gimmick they portrayed on TV and took themselves way to seriously and wouldnt do things they thought their character wouldn't do. Could do with some of this lot now.

Warrior is another good example. When he lost it was for some far fetched reason. Heenan grabbing the leg, Macho Man smashing him with the scepter, A Horace Hogan chair shot etc... When he lost it was massive and never damaged his aura, because he was so fucking supernatural as a character it stuck with you and therefore to the viewer sold as a big deal. Warrior was mega into his gimmick and it worked for him on TV and financially. Piper was the same.

I agree, if someone like CM Punk, Del Rio or to a lesser extent the US and IC champs lose, then it should mean something.

If Triple H, Cena or Undertaker lose, it definitely means something, and if they do, it is usually to make someone look really really strong.

Look at how over Punk after he beat Cena clean at NOC.

Nowadays, people just lose or win week by week and not much significance is given to any individual win.

It certainly does matter, the problem at least in WWE is they flip flop between who they are interested in and think a couple of wins will change peoples perception of a wrestler.

For example JoMo has been completely destroyed, yet Ive heard he has started to win again, why? whats the point, to me he is done, no amount of wins will make me think he is anything but a loser.

Daniel Bryan I just don't understand what is going on there, again like I say its like they are interested in someone and then just change their minds.

Once you damage someone, it really is hard for them to comeback from it.

• Paid Members

I once had a job interview where PowerSlam on my CV came up and the interviewer was asking about how it worked. One of his questions was "do they just take it in turns to win then." I gave him a long explanation about how that's not the case, and about how you pick people who are getting over and build them up so they can face off. Obviously I didn't get the job (which was lucky as it paid

In WWE at the moment, wins and losses don't really matter. Kofi and Ziggler have had about 40 televised matches with each other now, probably won half of them each and none of the matches did anything for them. If there's any stakes, the wins and losses matter. And there should be. Like Jericho was saying to that Brummie lad, up-and-coming wrestlers need to learn to play the "that doesn't work for me, brother" card. This "I win this week, you win next week, nobody gives a fuck" system isn't doing anyone any favours, really. But you can see how wins can make a difference to perception. Wade Barrett has done fuck all since Christmas really, but he started picking up wins about a month back and he's already looking like he's on his way to being a top boy again.

• Paid Members

I think WWE know that wins and losses matter on account of how they have booked Shaemus and Mark Henry (neither of which have suffered a clear loss since late Spring and had tons of clean victories). They just don't give a shit really about anyone else enough to put the effort it.

Archived