Favorite ever "B" show

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

There's a lot of love for Superstars on this forum, and rightly so, it's a good fun watch. But I'm wondering what's the favorite ever wrestling "B" show of forumers? Doesn't necessarily have to be a WWE B show.

Personally I used to love Velocity, there was the fantastic Paul London/Akio rivalry, the debuts of people like Mr Kennedy, fun feuds featuring the second-string cast of Smackdown...it really was a great little show to watch.

What was your favorite wrestling "B" show?

• Paid Members

I grew up watching Metal, which I think was Jakked in the US. It used to be taped before Raw and it mainly consisted of superstars beating up jobbers, but every now and then you'd catch somebody like Steve Blackman defending the Hardcore title on there against someone who'd just built up a winning run of late, like Just Joe.

I also remember during the invasion angle, at one point around the Invasion PPV or just after it they were trying to really put over the alliance as a threat, so you'd have WCW guys vrs low level WWF guys on Metal and the Alliance members would keep winning. To an impressionable youngster, it really put over the fact that the Alliance were on a roll of sorts.

Other stars I remember frequently popping up on Metal were Essa Rios (It's like they practically wheeled him out every week just to moonsault a jobber), Perry Saturn as European Champion, Hardcore Holly beating up jobbers and I vaguely remember some of the jobbers in terms of looks, but I'll need to look further to dig up some names. I used to re-create them in the first Smackdown game and do Pre-seasons with them.

• Paid Members

Superstars, but not Superstars NOW, Superstars from 94-97 when Raw was (clearly) the A show, but the occasional storyline development happened, even the odd title match, and you usually had an easy diet of three squashes matches, then a Bret Hart vs Mantaur main event.

Superstars, but not Superstars NOW, Superstars from 94-97 when Raw was (clearly) the A show, but the occasional storyline development happened, even the odd title match, and you usually had an easy diet of three squashes matches, then a Bret Hart vs Mantaur main event.

Totally agree with you there mate. Ive been watching 95 superstars recently and its quality!

I used to like Heat on channel 4 in my younger years, I remember getting really excited in late 2000 I think it was when Triple H showed up and faced Perry Saturn on it, it was mental seeing Triple H there, I think i even recorded it :laugh:

Always made sure to watch it on Sunday afternoons, 4 o clock I think it was on, for an hour.

• Paid Members

One of my first heat memories was a Steve Blackman hardcore title defense and a Dudley Boyz tables match. I was a bit surprised to see the Dudleyz in the main event but as they were my favourite tag team of the bunch I didn't care a jot!

The midcard around that era was utterly fantastic.

another fan of Heat on channel 4 beginning in 2000 on T4 when it was dermot o'leary and that margherrita something presenting. as someone who didnt have Sky it took my love for wrestling which was up till then limited to WCW Worldwide on channel 5 to a new height of fandom. first thing i saw was christian doing his jump to the outside and i was hooked. i remember trips appearing to face saturn and holly respectively, loads of crash, essa rios, posse and low down, the chicken-suit stuff with edge and christian, coach and hayes on commentary (as well as kevin kelly and cole at other times), with some great features outside the ring when everyone wanted wwf guys on their tv shows or in the ad campaigns (remember the dx video shoot for the run dmc video and jericho going to see fozzy).

i really wish i kept my tapes of Heat from then :(

they moved it to 1am on monday mornings so i would, cos i didnt trust my vcr to tape it, wake up quickly and put the tape on, watch a few minutes and then trudge up to bed to sleep again and watch it the next day. incredible how viewing habits change in just a decade.

Nice little find there. Michael Cole comparing Triple H to "British Football's The Manchester United", was pretty funny too.

On topic, I'd probably have to go with Air Raid's Superstars era. There's a wonderful period around early 95 where it's all Jarrett/Roadie arsing about, multiple Bret Hart appearances and silly cartoon midcarders that would go nowhere, I fucking love it.

There was something weirdly amazing about Season 1 and 2 of NXT, and everybody loves those first few episodes of Shotgun too, but the above was the first thing that sprung to my mind.

Was a heat man myself got me back into wrestling and I didnt have sky so that helped. Gotta admit velocities green colour scheme looked sweet! every company goes for red and black mainly I think green really stands out and it's hardly been used really. Think the set ups are way too dark sometimes. Bring back some flair and colour

Archived