Wrestle Talk TV! Remember talksport's radio show? TV Version?

Mark Sloan

A couple of months ago I was approached for some review DVDs and competition prizes for a new Wrestling Chat program. As we obviously get a crazy amount of requests, we at Amerch tend not to get publically involved in many projects, especially when the details were kept close to their chest however, we were always happy to support any upcoming projects but when the link and details came through we all agreed the potential could be massive should the project take off. So much so, we decided for the first time in 8 years to include some advertising on our website for it and now have it linked off every page, this really deserves to been seen by the masses in our opinion.

So, with that said I haven't seen any threads for it so hopefully they don't mind me starting one here for all discussion and news about what is being called Wrestle Talk TV.

I remember when Talk Wrestling was on a Saturday night, the listening figures were supposed be huge and increased further with Tommy Boyd and Alex Shane the show really start to take off and alot of companies recieved alot of publicity from the show, so one the questions is, in my mind, would this show on a serious TV Station beable to generate the same interest as Talk Wrestling did on the radio? Remember how it sold over 2000 tickets to the Revival event in Crystal Palace and how it helped generate some much needed exposure for British Wrestling.

Here is the press release we recieved with the link

"Wrestle Talk TV is a magazine style chat show which features news from each of the World

I saw this on facebook the other day. Needless to say it grabbed my attention to watch the full thing uninterrupted. I really liked the layout of the show but as you mentioned the set was abit of a setback for me. I also think the news section needs to be shortened and possible change the reporter.

I think it has real potential also. I hope the pilot can engage more interest to give the show a even more exclusive feel to it.

Stingersplash posted his thoughts on it a few days ago:

ive not seen a thread so i thought id add it here, but has anyone seen this wrestletalk tv show?i presume its not actually on tv but the interweb, but halfway through episode one and its not too impressive. from technical issues with the colt cabana interview, to the

Stingersplash posted his thoughts on it a few days ago:

ive not seen a thread so i thought id add it here, but has anyone seen this wrestletalk tv show?i presume its not actually on tv but the interweb, but halfway through episode one and its not too impressive. from technical issues with the colt cabana interview, to the

I'm also suspicious that it's going to have far more FWA than is warranted, and a quick flick through the Youtube video does nothing to allay those fears.

Understood, prehaps the footage (obvious as one of the guests is an FWA Star) was what was on hand with the pilot. Plus remember alot of people blast any low production efforts (see the VPW on TV thread) so putting all manor of shows on there may have been detremental in terms of production as I believe this was a pilot shot for a TV channel to show what the rough format and content could be like. If it had of had UKW footage everybody here would have been up in arms (as the previously mentioned thread demonstraits)

• Paid Members

Its a great concept, but the execution is lack luster and the following is my own opinion.Its seems that they have not focused on specifics/details when editing and checking for mistakes, including production quality. As it stands, it screams youtube tv and not actual 'TV'. Interestingly, not a huge amount of work needs to be done though, i mean, the set needs to be fully sorted, sack the couches off and get a proper sports recap chat show style set (like that american sports centre prog). Get a commentry style desk better lighting and back drops with random wrestling gimmicks positioned in front of cam and your half way there.The world news bit was incredibly meh, she looked very uneasy sat on a stool in that position. Very unanimated (didnt move at all) with a horrid back drop with that 1990's news room theme tune. No offense to the lass but it seems like she has been added to the team due to the majority of the audience being blokes and the crew thinking 'hmm, we could use a bit of eye candy'.. because lets face it, they didn't hire her for her charisma. In terms of professionalism, she can read an autocard and with a bit more practice, she potentially has a really good reading voice along with a pretty face, other than that she has that shitty backdrop and sound clip while she wore a suit jacket and a pair of jeans. Im picking at stuff here i know, but these are the things that make it feel like a web show at best.Its missing a spark, it didnt have a wow factor, and beause its about wrestling, why not add the flamboyance?, look a bit more cutting edge, it does need 'a bit' of sex appeal so add a bit of that too.The above are obviously my gripes, but ive only mentioned them because of the fact i think its a brilliant idea and would love this to work. Yes it needs work, but the show is there, the content seems to be very good, if the show is fair with its spin towards other UK promotions, it could be brilliant exposure for the UK scene.Besides the crap set, it was a great to see colt on the first show.I thought the insider'ish chat with JB was great, fantastic seg, and i hope this happens more, maybe at live UK shows too.I also think they could do specials and maybe have a live broadcast of dark matches at UK events such as the DG:UK shows and 'enter promotions name', gives the fans a taster and they may and go buy the DVD (further down the road maybe).Looking forward to future shows!Im really looking forward to seeing future shows, but its got a lot of work ahead

• Paid Members

My first thoughts are that it is potentially a good idea, and there is room for something like this provided people know it is there, but it is just waaay too long. No-one is going to sit and watch this for over an hour every week/month/whatever it's going to be.- I like that there are 'official' sponsors and adverts all over this, makes it look something official. If they can push this to FSM and Daily Star wrestling column readers as almost a video spin-off of the magazine/column itself, they could well get plenty of eyes on it. If UK promoters, TNA, A-Merchandise etc use this as an official channel by which they make announcements, competitions, etc, then that's even better. - As others have mentioned, the set is dreadful and make the whole thing come over no better than those guys in their bedroom "shooting" their personal thoughts on the latest episode of Raw etc.- Most of the on-screen graphic really are excellent, they really make the thing look professional. The exception to this, however, is the news ticker across the bottom. The style and colours of that just scream amateur hour.- The Colt Cabana interview was interesting, but looked like it had been shot in someone's bedroom. Also, "COOP"?!? What a goon.- The girl doing the round-up was dreadful to an almost hilarious level.- I like that they debate current happenings in WWE/TNA/etc, but it is already a month out-of-date, despite the video only being published earlier this week. A magazine show which debates current issues in so much detail can only be interesting if it is bang up to date. No-one wants to hear people's thoughts on what was happening weeks and weeks ago and is no longer relevant.I'll keep an eye out for the next one...

- The girl doing the round-up was dreadful to an almost hilarious level.

The very aptly named: Francesca WoodI recognise the presenter from the quiz/ roulette channel ghetto. He's not amazing but could've been worse. But it looks like it was filmed in a store room. Half decent backdrop and some proper lighting really does make all the difference

as others have stated i put some comments elsewhere - im just suprised people agree, that doesnt happen a lot with me lol.but hey its the first show and should be treat like a beta in a way, so it eventually will look a lot better.i know it was a different look and a long time ago, but when blake norton did the bagpipe report aeons ago on TWC, i loved that show.also i know its weird with us being british, but when i hear english people talk about wrestling it doesnt seem as good as our friends over the pond.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Here's the new episode of this. A good interview with Douglas Williams on it, promoting the UK tour. This shows growing on me. They had a good one with Nigel McGuinness on it as well.

One thing though, since he's over to the UK ... GET HOGAN ON THIS SHOW, PLEASE!!! Sorry for shouting.

Archived