New/returning TV shows discussion

kev2050

Thought we could use this as discussion and reminders for new and returning tv shows on UK tv for those of us that aren't serial downloaders, and for shows that aren't popular enough for their own thread. There's quite a bit starting soon.

Tonight, we have

The Secret Circle, Season 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing I opened this, I had no idea Fringe was starting tonight. Love that show.

Is 'The Secret Circle' that thing about witches? Was tempted, but I don't think I'll bother. I'm gonna give 'Ringer' a chance, but I don't have high hopes for it. Ill watch it 'cos Buffy's in it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Will probably give 'Terra Nova' a look too.

I gave up on 'House' (even though it was consistently good), except I did watch the episodes last series with Amber Tamblyn in them because I love her. I also gave up on 'Vampire Diaries' because it's shite.

I must remember 'Haven' and 'The Walking Dead' in a few weeks. Haven was alright and worth another go, and Walking Dead was really good.

I also gave up on 'Vampire Diaries' because it's shite.

When did you give up? If it was in the first 8 or so episodes I suggest giving it another go, it became this entirely different non lame show at some point around then - they gave up alot of the shmaltzy twilight knock off crap and instead focused on it just being utterly ridiculous (in a good way) piling twists apon twists (but managing to keep track of it all and building to a satisfying conclusion) and also having no qualms about killing off plenty of characters and changing the status quo. It's certainly not television for the ages but I've found very entertaining fluff - one review summed it up well describing how they've tried to sell the show to friends "There is one episode with three seperate stabbings, none of which you'll see coming". It's got to the point where it is really making True Blood look rather bad in comparison

If you got anywhere near the last quater of the first season and still didn't like it then ignore this as just isn't for you.

Storytelling wise I'd completely disagree. True Blood certainly has a way higher caliber of actors, plenty of money to make stuff look awesome and some good direction - but the plotting in the last two series (two and a half maybe) has been absolutely pitiful. It's simply not that good a show and I'm suprised how many people still love it - Vampire Diaries certainly isn't for everyone but at least what its trying to do it does well - True Blood is just plain mediocre.

• Paid Members
Storytelling wise I'd completely disagree. True Blood certainly has a way higher caliber of actors, plenty of money to make stuff look awesome and some good direction - but the plotting in the last two series (two and a half maybe) has been absolutely pitiful. It's simply not that good a show and I'm suprised how many people still love it - Vampire Diaries certainly isn't for everyone but at least what its trying to do it does well - True Blood is just plain mediocre.

Couldnt disgree more. True Blood is far better paced and less cramped, Vampire Diaries rushes everything and is reliant on poor scripts. Though I find the guys playing the Salvatores (?) both pretty decent, and Damon gets some great lines.

Guess its horses for courses.

I'd totally agree the Vampire Diaries does rush through stuff - but thats seems to be part of it's style and the fact it is generally quite focused and builds to a satisfying climax without dropping too many threads is what I like about it - I'd hate all shows to be done like that but it's part of it's 'silly but fun' nature. True Blood spent ages with so many different plot lines (first few episodes this season were ridiculous for that) it either dropped or just kinda ended without affecting characters/the narrative in the long germ - they always seem to hit a point midseason-ish where the tension is high then the climaxes tend to be fairly meh - with a few interesting cliffhangers for the next season (i'll admit the last 10 minutes of the season finale were awesome but up until then the episode had a weak resolution [with no real stakes/danger] to an semi-interesting cliffhanger [that was also born out of a weak resolution] then loads of aimless bits and bobs until it hit the final scene for each character point and did some interesting developments).

I'm pretty sure I watched the whole of the first season of Vampire Diaries, then just found no real desire to keep with it once season 2 started. I never particularly any of the characters, they were all kind of dickish.

I stuck with it longer than I did with True Blood though. I really wanted to like that, but I didn't get far past the episode where her brother spends most of it trying to deal with a boner.

Archived