New/returning TV shows discussion

kev2050

Sorry, didn't read the thread title properly so US pace, but no spoilers:

Just watched the new episode of The Walking Dead. It's still shit. It seems to flit between being alright, shit and so-shit-it-must-be-a-spoof. Or maybe it just does some things well. Andrew Lincoln's accent is ridiculous at times.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched the first two episodes of that Fresh Meat last night, comedy-drama by the writers of Peep Show about university first years. It's.... I don't know what it is. I'll stick with it to the end of the series, but there's something off about it. And the "flatmate nobody ever sees" thing was done in the university sitcom that was on BBC3 a couple of years back.

I thought the exact same thing, the one which had Jay from Inbetweeners in it on BBC 3. I've managed to be surprised by Jack Whitehall, who I usually detest, has actually been my favourite character in this by a mile. ''High motherfucking thread count'' was probably his best moment so far. Also Oregon is extremely fit. I think I'll continue watching till the end, its an easy way to waste an hour and its not heavy in the slightest. I can't see it coming back for a second run at the moment though. Also the production of this has put back Peep Show until mid 2012 :(

I managed to stick with this up until last week, but the cliche count is getting a bit heavy for my liking now and there are literally no likable characters. Also, as a very anal and lecturer-specific criticism, I was well annoyed that the sleazy lecturer was shown to be 'a cunt' specifically for shouting at that gobby lass who turned in a moronic essay - I thought she got off fairly lightly considering how retarded the essay was made out to be. I'd have been asking how she passed her GCSEs.

To be fair, I don't think I'm their target audience...

• Awards Moderator

I think I may have been mistaken about Terra Nova... I really enjoyed it the first week, but the fact that they're four episodes in and they've already had to resort to a memory loss storyline doesn't fill me with confidence. I'll keep watching though, because Monday's looks like it could be good.

Other than Terra Nova, the other US shows I've been watching are Fringe, which is looking good so far (an improvement on season 3 I think), Boardwalk Empire (which I wasn't keen on last season but has so far been excellent this time around), and The Walking Dead (I liked the first episode a lot - but I liked the first episode of season 1 too, and that ended up being not too great, so...)

I tried watching Ringer and got lost in about five minutes. I don't think I was paying attention...

My favourites from the new season so far are Homeland, Boss, and American Horror Story I think. The latter is pretty much just stealing from shitloads of horror movies but it's enjoyable and there's not much like it at the moment.

Homeland is three episodes in, but has a stellar cast (Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin, and Morena Baccarin gets her tits out in the first episode), and it's on Showtime, the home of Dexter, Weeds, Californication etc.

Boss has only had one episode but Kelsey 'Frasier' Grammer is very good in it, it's produced by Starz who have picked up some good shit over the last couple of years, and it's already been renewed for season 2, so there's no fear of it fucking off in the middle of anything.

I do seem to be more and more interested in HBO, Showtime, AMC and Starz than anything the main networks throw out these days..

Pretty sure most, if not all of these are coming to the UK soon-ish.

Two vaguely similar shows, Once Upon A Time and Grimm, are starting this coming week so I'll be giving these a go.

Now it's been on over here, I guess we can discuss....

The Walking Dead (I liked the first episode a lot - but I liked the first episode of season 1 too, and that ended up being not too great, so...)

I thought it was a load of shite. What the fuck was the thing with the deer at the end? Was he going to stab it or rape it or cuddle it or what? The slow-zoom rom-com closeups of the deer's face were hilarious. It's such a frustrating show to watch because sometimes it gets things right, but the writing is usually awful. The pacing is off and the dialogue and half the characters (in both writing and performance) are terrible. I've warmed to the guido fella who plays Shane now, but I think mostly because the gaggle of shitehawks in the cast make him look great in comparison.

• Moderators

Anyone else caught American Horror Story? I've seen the first two episodes, and it's the craziest show in years. In a few places, I was genuinely rocking with laughter. It's just so odd, but less of a David Lynch vibe, like I'd hoped, because it definitely doesn't do subtle. Even the title sequence, with jittery jump-cut pictures of creepy Victorian children and old dolls is such an obvious choice, but they throw so much crazy shit at you that it's really entertaining all the same.

They did a bunch of viral marketing pranks to advertise the show. This one is probably the #1 horror movie cliche, but done for real. I think I would actually die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PVs5lyqtY

Yeah American Horror story is just wonderful in it's ludicrous awfulness. It's completely nuts, really nasty and often badly written TV (some dialogue, the pacing, just loads of shit happening often without rhyme nor reason) - but I can't stop watching and will continue to watch every episode they've put out whilst actively encouraging everyone to watch it.

Walking Dead renewed for season 3

Great ratings pretty much guranteed it. just hope the rest of the season is much better than the second half of episode 1.

enjoyed the first half with the zombie herd. went down hill when they got to the town. Zombie preachers!!!!!! two seperate speeches to God???. great cliffhangar though so excited to see how it pans out

Archived